StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like Wix filters and plan to use them in my Strom. What is the part #?

thanks again,
-David

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/motorcycle.asp#SUZUKI #51359 I think it says. Let us know how they work. AAcchh...sorry, can't figure out how to make it a link. :roll:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wix filters

To the best of my knowledge, Wix makes the NAPA Gold and Carquest filters............Both of which are available for m/c's.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that the Carquest oil filter part number is: 85359
for a 05 DL650.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just did my first change on my 1000. Used the WIX filter. $10.32 with tax- part #51359 The color of the filter is white/ I like the black look a little better. Oh well/ going riding-YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I Like K&N Oil filters (when I can get them).

Excellent Filter !

K&N # 138 fits DL-650 and 1000.

Has a snazzy nut welded to it... tighten it right up with a wrench...

Nut has a safety wire hole in it. (for racing)..

Yesterday my dealer did'nt have one... so I bought a suzuki filter instead.

Gonna try the Rotella Synthetic.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WIX INFO

Part Number: 51359
UPC Number: 765809513594
Principal Application: Suzuki Engs. (Motorcycles, Snowmobiles)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.0 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm using the Wix filters because the only other choice at the auto stores is Fram and I've read way too many bad things about Fram. I've changed oil and filter twice, so far. The first was at about 100 miles to get the break-in crud out and then at the suggested 600 mile interval. The only thing I've noticed is that there was a small amount of metal filings on the drain plug at the 100 mile change with the OEM filter. There were no filings at all at the 600 mile change with the Wix filter.

The instructions with the Wix say to screw it down until the gasket touches, then tighten 3/4 turn. I'm compromising between this and the two turns the MOM specifies and tightening about 1.5 turns.

As far as the color, you could probably spray paint the filter with flat black grill paint.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I changed the oil the first time- while replacing the filter I was kinda worried I tightened it too much. I didnt really know by feel, what was right or what was too tight. They say two turns( but two turns from what/ from oil gasket contact?) I guess better to be really tight and not lose oil than make a mess over the roads and burn her up!

·
Registered
360 Posts
shuvelhed73 said:
When I changed the oil the first time- while replacing the filter I was kinda worried I tightened it too much. I didnt really know by feel, what was right or what was too tight. They say two turns( but two turns from what/ from oil gasket contact?) I guess better to be really tight and not lose oil than make a mess over the roads and burn her up!
It is two turns from the point where the gasket first touches the engine. I think the two turn requirement is to insure that the filter does not vibrate loose. I don't like to over or under-tighten anything, especially where gaskets are involved.

·
Registered
352 Posts
filter - OK I guess

Posting to this old thread due to Wix topic.

Needed filter pronto (dealers way far) and went google shopping and OEM was about $20 to door so I kept browsing and RAuto came up with Wix 51359 for less than $9.33 WITH shipping and no tax so since it was on the "recommended" list I found in prior posts (cannot recall how on recommendations)I went for it

Filter got here in two days! It is black but slightly smaller diameter (OEM wrench is larger) but about same length as OEM. I hope it fits as I thought the o-ring on EOM was close to outer diameter.

The directions in pictures on filter say 3/4 turn and I will follow as it is flat gasket (not rounded like OEM and HiFlo I have used).

I actually have heard good things about Wix for cars from guy I feel is in know.

Have to admint slightly smaller diameter has me wondering about filter capacity compared to OEM but figure proably ok. (I change my filer every 4k)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used the Napa Gold 1359 for my Aprilia 500 Scarabeo GT and was always happy with them. I still have a couple left so it is great that I can continue to use them on the Glee. I went with them after reading the CalSci and Bob is the Oil Guy websites and forums. The gearheads seem to like them.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Just to be crystal-clear, since there's some potentially dangerous misinformation in this thread: tightening the filter by two turns ONLY applies to the stock filter, which uses an o-ring seal for some unfathomable reason.

Most, if not all, aftermarket oil filters use a flat sealing ring as used in almost all cars, and these only need to be tightened by about 3/4 turn.

In all cases, follow the instructions printed on the oil filter, and lubricate the o-ring or seal with a bit of clean engine oil before installing.

I think the flat seal is far superior -- there's much less chance of ripping or folding the seal, millions of cars have proven its reliability, and it's easier to install and remove.

FWIW, I generally use Wix/Napa oil filters in all my bikes and cars -- they're very high quality, available at any Napa store, and less expensive than OEM.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just to be crystal-clear, since there's some potentially dangerous misinformation in this thread: tightening the filter by two turns ONLY applies to the stock filter, which uses an o-ring seal for some unfathomable reason.

Most, if not all, aftermarket oil filters use a flat sealing ring as used in almost all cars, and these only need to be tightened by about 3/4 turn.

In all cases, follow the instructions printed on the oil filter, and lubricate the o-ring or seal with a bit of clean engine oil before installing.

I think the flat seal is far superior -- there's much less chance of ripping or folding the seal, millions of cars have proven its reliability, and it's easier to install and remove.

FWIW, I generally use Wix/Napa oil filters in all my bikes and cars -- they're very high quality, available at any Napa store, and less expensive than OEM.
Good point to bring up! I just hand tighten on my wee just like I do on my vehicles. No wrench needed to install. Definitely not two turns!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The Purolator ML16818 has a round cross section O ring too but it is smaller in diameter and denser. It uses 3/4 turn like the flat gasket filters do. Only the Suzuki filter uses two turns. Oil the gaskets before installation and make sure the old gasket isn't stuck to the engine but came off with the filter. That has been a problem.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Our Wix filter is $5.88 at fleetfilter.com. It might be good to share the shipping costs and buy a years supply of filters for the family fleet in one order.

·
Registered
352 Posts
good price Wix

Ordered from Rock Auto on Thurs 8/9 3PM. Received (std shipping Fed ex) 8/13 Monday with $2.88 shipping cost below for one filter. Pretty good price and no need to stock up.

$ 6.33
$ 2.88
$ 9.21

Glad to hear of good reviews for them from reputable sources. I had read in an old post that someone got wix and it was white but happy mine is black.

BTW agree with above that is why I stated 3/4 turn in my post. Each manufacturer has directions due to different seals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts