StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out working today and witnessed a motorcycle accident, The biker did all the wrong things leading up to it. First, it was a 4 lane highway leading out of a small city, there was a telephone truck with a small boom on it, speed limit was 45 mph turning into a 55 mph. The telephone repair truck was in the left lane, signaled to move over to the slower right lane, moved over, and the biker came up on him like a rocket, I estimate his speed was between 70-80. The bike was also in the right lane, the truck had all kinds of room to move over, or so it seemed, if the bike had been doing the speed limit, anyway, the biker panicked and hit the rear brake hard, locking the rear tire up, going sideways and skidding about 130-140 feet. There was some sand on the road where a driveway comes out to the main road, and according to the skid marks, he started skidding right about where the sand was. The cops said they don't believe he was hurt really bad, which made me feel a bit better. Just a reminder, it's spring, meaning plenty of sand on the roads in the great northeast, slow down, and always expect the unexpected. Drive safe everyone. Lucky for the biker, the telephone truck moved over to the left hand lane quickly when the biker started losing control, because it would have been really bad if he had slid into the truck.

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
XSBert,
Thanks for the heads up. I have been breaking in my Vee2 up here in the Adirondacks. The roads do still have sand, and have been beaten up from the harsh winter.Not only do you have to be careful with potholes, but also frost heaves. Those heaves can make your bike go airborne if your going too fast. I have also seen a lot more bikers out early this year, most likely due to pent up frustration from this winter. Another reason to be cautious.

P.S. XSBert, Why don't we get together for a ride? P.m. me if your interested.

·
Registered
288 Posts
So the other night I was following my wife home in the dark. There is a curvy spot I haven't been through with the bike since it got nicer so I hung back to ride a little faster than she normal goes through there...but well within speed limits. As I rounded a curve I see sand in my path come into the light from my low beam headlights... Too late I was on it and leaning into the curve. The V-Strom tires broke loose, in front at least, and then grabbed traction and I had a nice pucker moment. It actually happened so fast it was over before I could think about it. Fortunately it turned out good but it could have just as easily ended with me in the ditch. Reminded me to take it really easy in the dark.

And maybe ad LED driving lights to add some more visibility where my lights lack.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually don't drive at night , just for that reason, plus my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I usually don't drive at night , just for that reason, plus my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.
I enjoy night time rides in late spring / early summer, more than just about any other time...
It's therapy for me... serene, quiet, peaceful...

(and 'cause I spent boku $ on all kinds of high-viz, reflective, shizzle)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I've only ridden a few times this season so far, but today I did a little over 200 miles which brought me back into the city during Friday evening rush hour. I was a little tired from the ride, but what stood out to me more than usual was the craziness of the traffic. The driving habits are getting flat-out reckless; and those are the ones not texting! Crazy drivers and a weary rider are a potentially dangerous mix! It would be too easy to tangle with a car it seems.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I've only ridden a few times this season so far, but today I did a little over 200 miles which brought me back into the city during Friday evening rush hour. I was a little tired from the ride, but what stood out to me more than usual was the craziness of the traffic. The driving habits are getting flat-out reckless; and those are the ones not texting! Crazy drivers and a weary rider are a potentially dangerous mix! It would be too easy to tangle with a car it seems.

yeah, with all the new potheads tryin' it out in CO, you gotta be on your game to dodge the 'legalize-eeit! Amateurs"

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I enjoy night time rides in late spring / early summer, more than just about any other time...
It's therapy for me... serene, quiet, peaceful...

(and 'cause I spent boku $ on all kinds of high-viz, reflective, shizzle)
I same here except for the boku $ and I usually like to leave in the pre-dawn to see the sunrise from a mountaintop.

In fact, the next thing I'm doing is suiting up.

I'm thinking of mounting a big light on my helmet to see through turns though. ........and the overnight tree falls.
........and sand in the road.
........and critters
........and balckwater tank drainage

·
Registered
779 Posts
I same here except for the boku $ and I usually like to leave in the pre-dawn to see the sunrise from a mountaintop.

In fact, the next thing I'm doing is suiting up.

I'm thinking of mounting a big light on my helmet to see through turns though. ........and the overnight tree falls.
........and sand in the road.
........and critters
........and balckwater tank drainage
That's not a bad idea. In fact, in keeping with the spirit of this thread --avoiding wrecks -- someone needs to fashion a strong headlamp that uses ram helmet mounts. Can't use a cam anyway at night... might as well plug a lamp into that with an LED forward beam, and red rearward...

·
Premium Member
2,307 Posts
At first thought, a headlamp on motorcycle helmets sounds like a genius idea. I wonder if this has ever been researched? Pros/cons?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
At first thought, a headlamp on motorcycle helmets sounds like a genius idea. I wonder if this has ever been researched? Pros/cons?
I often wear one of these:

Once I inadvertently wore one under a 3/4" helmet.

I took a while to understand why everybody was flashing their high beams.

That was with fairly low-powered beams of light.

A light as bright as a typical headlight could end up being more of a hazard in traffic.

But on an isolated twisty mountain road.............................

How about an infared system with a head's up display in your helmet?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I often wear one of these:

Once I inadvertently wore one under a 3/4" helmet.

I took a while to understand why everybody was flashing their high beams.

That was with fairly low-powered beams of light.

A light as bright as a typical headlight could end up being more of a hazard in traffic.

But on an isolated twisty mountain road.............................

How about an infared system with a head's up display in your helmet?
If there flashing there high beams, there seeing you.:hurray:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Gini and I saw an accident this weekend also. Some guy hotdogging on a 2-stroke dirt bike down a curvy road. He must of thought he was looking all cool popping wheelies round corners and doing some aggressive accelerating and forgot the roads in Maine are a bit rough this time of year. Came around a corner to find his bike dumped on the side of the road in someone's driveway. Instant Karma! He was already up and brushing himself off and a car had stopped to assist. Took all my will power not to honk and wave.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Around here the mood on the road takes a turn between 3 and 6pm on roads with commuters. Too many distracted, impatient and reckless drivers. If we find ourselves riding then we plot a saner course off the commuter routes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Childhood friend of mine lost their sister in a motorcycle accident yesterday, have a feeling lack of skill and wearing no gear was a contributor. :(

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Lots of mountain bikers wear them. There are some seriously powerful bicycle lights out there that could probably be adapted to motorcycle use, especially when you're off on some dark forestry road. I think the downside to a helmet light (especially one bright enough to be useful on a motorcycle) is that everywhere you look, that's where the light is going, including into the eyes of oncoming traffic if you happen to be looking at the car that's approaching you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Back in the late 90's, several of us LD (Long Distance) riders were testing this idea. We didn't have LEDs at the time so were using spotlights, etc fastened to our helmets. It was pretty cool for a short time for the riders, but the aero from the lights at upper speeds played havoc with your neck muscles.

When we got our wives involved in cages, both flowing with us and then coming back at us, all of them immediately hated it. For good reason. When I was behind my wife, I was constantly lighting up the interior of her car, her inside and outside rear view mirrors, etc. When coming towards me, I'd blind her on just about every pass even when trying NOT to look her direction.

After just a couple of minutes of trying both directions, she pulled over and demanded I turn it off and forget that idea. Everyone else involved had the same exact complaints. We shelved that idea.

What I am betting on is that some company (I"ll let you guess which one) is working on it and possibly, we may have lights similar to some of the higher end luxury and sports cars that have adaptive headlights that turn when you car is in a turn. On our bikes, I could see that maybe our headlights, when tilted over, could 'turn' a little more to light up the inside of the curves we are negotiating. But you can bet if that does occur, it'll be on bikes that sticker at or over 20 Gs. But if it does work, it will eventually trickle down the line, just as ABS has since the early 90's.

But as for helmet mounted lighting, I don't see that happening any time soon. It'll just get the lemmings in the cages even more PO's at us two wheelers when we are blinding them from both directions. Plus, I'm pretty sure the LEOs out there would have something to say about that too. :)

pr

PS--Some local bicyclists here are mounting bright LEDs on their helmets and I have been 'flashed' a couple of times myself at night. It's not comfortable at all and I am not in favor of that going onto even more numerous MC's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts