StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
784 Posts
40 years ago we made our own studded tires. Sheetmetal screws run into the knobs and an extra tire carcass inside kept the tube safe.
First time on the ice was a bit hard to trust leaning it over but soon we were pretty adept at it given the rides we had available at the time.
Putting sheet metal screws in ATV tires is still somewhat common with the ice fishing guys up around here.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle
Water Sky Cone Snow Sports

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
And very dangerous on snow free roads.
there are ice studs, for riding on ponds, and road studs that are safe and legal(with limitations) for the road

I drilled stud pockets, and inserted standard automotive studs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

notice only studs in the center knobs, you never lean more than that on icy roads, but if you happen upon dry roads, you have stud free rubber at the extremes. unlike car tires that have molded stud pockets, the first few miles with drilled pockets, are sketchy till the studs seat.

the result was mixed, front tire hooked up good, but my 1000cc engine was too much for the rear, I threw nearly all the studs by the end of the season, while not loosing even 1 on the front tire

the next winter season, I went to the darkside, kept the same studded front (which ended up lasting 4 seasons/20k miles) and a winter car tire in back, successful beyond my wildest imagination, riding in freezing rain and blizzards
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
2007 V-Strom 650
784 Posts
MN ruled out vehicle tire studs on public roadways probably back in the late 1960's ('70's?) but last I knew were still legal in ND and perhaps some other states.

Horsepower will determine pattern, how many and type of studs needed. Snowmobiles with lots of power and insufficient studs in the track (for those that install them) quickly lose costly carbide studs and often damage the track in the process.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Only province in Canada that doesn't allow studs, that I've heard of, is Quebec I think. Which is weird, as it's def a colder one.

Fortnine sells tires with studs. Can they really be that bad on reg pavement? Can't say I've ever noticed pavement damage for cars and trucks. I've seen lots of people too lazy to switch out their tires for summer and hear the clicks as they drive on pavement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts