StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,045 Posts
If I could have my druthers, I'd druther have my druthers than anything else at all.
I see this on all the forums. Golly if the bike were only something else!
If you want an 800, BMW and Triumph make perfectly ride able 800's. Go spend the buck and enjoy the new toy.
Shit, if my Mustang only had a sleek body like the Corvette......

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
But the CB500 doesn't rev like crazy, the opposite in fact, so no fun winding it out...
Are you sure you're not thinking the NC700? The common thread among reviewers of the 500X say it does wind out to red line and if way fun.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
An interesting thing happened as I was researching the 500X. In one comparison, it went against a G650GS. The weight and hp are very similar and as one would expect, the X was the smoother road bike and the GS faired better off pavement.
Rather than wait until my Wee got longer in the tooth, I pulled the trigger on a mint condition, low mileage '03 GS came up on Craigs - for about a third the cost of a new 500XA.. I've been having a blast on this thing. It's not only 40 lbs lighter than my Wee, it carries its weight lower. 19" front, spoke wheels and (single front) brembo brakes that put the Wee's to shame, switch-able abs and heated grips are standard, as are a center stand.
So, even though it's a 650, its the smaller, lighter bike that you think has to come with a smaller engine. Not so. (Of course, with 50 hp vs the DL's 66, the single is not in the same league. It's still lot's of fun though between 4,500 and 6k rpms) And this particular model Beemer happens to be rock solid reliable.
(I still have and love me '11 DL650 and it is my "trip" bike. That's what I like: the bikes have the same displacement, but that's about where the similarity ends.)
This is kind of a hijack, so I apologize. If you're wanting a yet-to-be-built imaginary bike, the 650 GS single is not. In fact, it's going to be discontinued. The point is, it already exists. In fact, it has been around for 20 years! Try one. You might be happily surprised.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you sure you're not thinking the NC700? The common thread among reviewers of the 500X say it does wind out to red line and if way fun.
Yep, talking about the CB500. A redline at 8,500 for a 500cc engine is not a high revving engine.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
But the CB500 doesn't rev like crazy, the opposite in fact, so no fun winding it out...
CB500x winds out just fine - the NC700x is a crock ith a 6200 rpm hard limiter Ridden both - hated the 700 loved the 500

·
Registered
149 Posts
CB500x winds out just fine - the NC700x is a crock ith a 6200 rpm hard limiter Ridden both - hated the 700 loved the 500
Read the request again. "winds out fine" is not the same as -

Something like a 500 cc V-Twin would be incredibly smooth, rev like crazy and be a blast to wind out!
Hitting a 8,500 redline is car like which is understandable as it's bore and stroke are almost square at 67.0x66.8mm, not at all crazy. A real screamer eg, the Ducati 899 has a bore x stroke of 100x57.2
The DL650 hits the middle ground with a 81x62.6

I don't conisder the DL650 a crazy revving engine, so no way will I think the CB500 ever will be. Not unless I spent a year riding a stroker engine like they put in HD.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I guess I've never owned a "crazy revving" bike. And I never take my DL650 much over 8,500 rpms, as that puts the next gear right in it's power curve. An 8,500 red line would be revvy enough for me, given all the bike's other attributes. We're not a crotch rocket crowd here last time I checked...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Suzuki 750 Triple....

About 90hp. under 400 lbs. scrambler style dualsport. retro styling, no ass up in the air pointing skyward.

Oh Yeah!

uncaged

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
Reactions: uncaged

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I guess I've never owned a "crazy revving" bike. And I never take my DL650 much over 8,500 rpms, as that puts the next gear right in it's power curve. An 8,500 red line would be revvy enough for me, given all the bike's other attributes. We're not a crotch rocket crowd here last time I checked...
given that one of the vstrom's parents is the nuclear banana... some might beg to differ.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
was referring to the riders, not the bike. And of course, there are always exceptions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm looking at the CSC RX3 - and how well it's doing. Price is a factor, of course - and the reality of it is, nobody is going to get Japanese-level quality from a Chinese plant. Yet, the minimalist-adventure bike seems to be doing well, with all its limitations.

I would think a high-revving 300, which could make legal speeds, coupled with the lighter weight approaching that of a small dual-sport, would be the better ticket.

For those who want a bigger bike, the 1000 is out there. And...the reality is, Suzuki, the company, is stressed. Their bikes aren't selling well and their cars line is gone from the States. They seem to be culling bike dealerships. Putting an intermediate V-Strom out there is just going to increase cost to service a market that's already out there.

A smaller, lighter ADV would open doors. Find a way to approach the price of China's bikes - the way Kawasaki makes their small models in Thailand - and then bring it in, for smaller, broker, newer riders.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
CB500X......w/Rally Raid Kit

Check out threads on ADV Rider forum under Multicylindered Beast (or something like that) from Japan.....for the little CB500X.....especially with the Rally Raid 3 Level kit fitted (extra $3k....ouch). But many, many folks are trading "down" to this little bike for more off-road capabilities as well as holding its own on the slab at 75-80 mph all day long. I have one (w/o the RR Kit) and love it........feels so much smaller than my Widestrom 650. But the 650 is my go-to bike for camping or distance riding (what little I get to do). I'm bringing the CB500 to the Eastern Vstrom Rally next week in NC........I know, I know.....but am itchin to see how well it performs in the "twisties"...... :grin2:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Low exhaust is a no go for me. Keep it high so I can go where I want to go. Just design the exhaust so everything is a bit "tighter" when put together. For example, some bikes tuck two pipes under the rear fender/luggage rack.

Gets my vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 42 Posts