StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a minor mishap in the garage, at last I find myself replacing my front turn signals. I ordered some flush mount LED lights from ebay and received them today. Upon inspection, I see that the OEM signals have two wires (1 black and 1 black with white stripe) while the replacements have three wires (1 black, 1 red, and 1 green).

I have nearly zero experience with electrical matters. Can anyone here help me with the appropriate method for replacing the two wire light with the three wire light?

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I did a search. I didn't come up with much.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The third wire is for a running light function. One wire is for ground (-), and the instructions should tell you which of the others is for the signal power (+) and which is for running light power. If there are no instructions, you can test it by touching the wires to the appropriate terminals on your battery. The ground is either the green or black and the signal + is probably the red. See which wire gives you the brighter light, and that's the one for the blinker. The running lights should be dimmer.

You'll probably find that your signals blink faster than normal now. You can just live with it, or get a flasher relay designed to handle LEDs. Stromtrooper.com - Search Results for led flasher relay

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the help, GM! I finally got everything squared away. I emailed the guy I bought the lights from and he confirmed that there were indeed two positives, one for a running light function. From there, installation went off without a hitch and they look pretty good. They mounted with double sided tape and fully covered the original hole. Not a bad mod for $13!

For now, I'm just going to let them flash fast, but I'll pick up a new relay sometime soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts