StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some PIAA 1100X Mulit-Fit lights and I am trying to wire them into my bright light...does anyone know an easy way to do this? The wiring looks simple enough if I could just find the bright light wire.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jack Roten

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Do you have a test light ??? That is all you should need if I am understanding you correctly.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
What year and size is the bike?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Aux lights

"I am trying to wire them into my bright light"

I am also a little confused. You want your hi-beam indicator light to turn on when the PIAAs are on? Do you want the PIAAs to turn on when you turn on the hi-beams?

Is this a kit install, or do you just have the driving lights?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion. I want my PIAA's to come on when I turn on my bright lights. This is what the instructions recommend to do but finding the bright light wire/connnection. etc. is my problem.

Thanks for the help.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I only have a diagram for the 650. It's easy enough to check with a voltmeter or even a test light. The ground wire is black with a white stripe. Pull off a headlight socket, turn on the high beam and check which wire provides voltage between it and ground. I'd recommend installing a relay off that wire so you won't be using it to power the headlights and running lights. The wire is barely adequate to provide power for the headlights alone. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/12/AuxiliaryLighting/index.php shows a couple of possibilities with the Bosch relay being a normal situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The relay is a must

First, the hi-beam wire is the yellow one in the service manual I have for the 1000. It is probably the same for the 650.

A relay is a good idea or you may have trouble. If you want the hi-beam to switch the PIAAs on, just tap into the hi-beam line to switch the relay. A properly sized relay won't use very much power. A dedicated fuse where the power wire leaves the battery would be good too.

I would also recommend a battery voltage gauge if you run other stuff like grip heaters or a vest.

One of the better sources I have found for electric gear: www.Delcity.net
They are cheap, have decent stuff, and quick shipping.

Last thing: I have a set of PIAAs, and they have a warning that the bulbs won't last as long if they are switched on and off a lot. You may want to look for the same warning for yours and adjust your wiring plan?

Brian

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the advice. I will get going on it when I return from a business trip this weekend.

I will keep you advised of any issues that I might come up with.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts