StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its become very apparent through searching the web that theres an emerging problem with the 2012 model year, and a particular area of the electrical system. Below the seat, on the left side of the bike, theres a huge wiring harness that sits directly on a ridge of the frame.

At 21,000mi, my harness experienced a major failure and has at least 5 wires that have melted together. This is particularly troubling due to the close proximity to the fuel supply line, fuel tank, fuel vapor, and any fuel that may accidentally run down the side of the tank when filling should a overfill or fuel pump surge occurred.

I rode 360mi during this last weekend and had a blast. Everything on the bike worked flawlessly. Upon my return, I washed the bike, toweled it off, and put it away, something Ive done many times. In the morning, I opened the garage to find the marker lights and tail light illuminated without the key being in the ignition. It should be further noted that the ignition was indeed in the 'OFF' position. Im aware of the 'P' position that will illuminate the marker and tail lights with the key removed. This was not the case.

We began investigating the problem by going across all components of the bike and finding no connection issues. We then explored various relays and fuses, checking to see if something had come lose, or had water in it. Everything checked out and we continued going over other parts. As we checked the wiring harnesses, we found the tail light 'browned out' when the harness was moved to the left of the air box region. An immediate burning smell was noticed and we disconnected the battery. As we unwrapped the harness, we immediately felt hot spots in the bundle and hand an entire series of wires melted together. Further examination revealed that a ridge in the frame of the bike, directly beneath the bundle had eaten away to the point of failure. Thankfully we got the power off before a fire had occurred. It wouldn't have been long as the harness quickly heated and was fusing components together.

With the battery disconnected and melted wires fused together, there was nothing left to do. We found the smoking gun that had stumped everyone involved for the last week. Im now working with Suzuki and the dealership to correct this issue.

ID LOVE TO HAVE PHOTOS OF THE DAMAGE, BUT STROMTROOPER SAYS I CANT SINCE IM NEW.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, you seemed to have copped a severe instance of this problem.

You're quite correct about the propensity for it. Being the cynical guy I am, I googled "problems DL650 L2" as soon as I got the bike and this popped up a lot. Fortunately it gave me the opportunity to do some protection/modification to that point on the harness early on, otherwise I would have been in line for the same problem as you...

Warranty, or too late?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think that is the first case I've read about outside of England. Do you ride with salt on the roads by any chance? My theory is salt water gets into harness and corrosion in a crimp connection causes overheating. That melts insulation which leads to shorting on that frame member. The Wee has the harness passing over the frame in the same manner and doesn't have the problem. V-Strom Owners Club UK • View topic - A warning to all Glee owners please read!!!
I've glued a piece of plastic between the harness and the frame just in case.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Would this apply to the 2013 as well?

·
38,103 Posts
All Glees are identical in that area.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I looked under the seat but just not seeing it. Any pictures or descriptions to pinpoint the location? Do you have to take fairings off for access?

·
38,103 Posts
Look at the worn spot in the top picture. It's directly above the chain. Reach up to find the aluminum part and up higher to find the wiring harness which was removed to take the top picture. It's right under the rear of the tank.

·
Registered
240 Posts
As per GW's pic... I also mounted some high density foam to protect from the sharp edge threatening the harness. Only removed seat. I don't think I'd've needed salt to create a problem, over time..

·
38,103 Posts
I couldn't feel anything sharp or raspy there and the harness doesn't move. Sticking some plastic or rubber in there is easy though.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I just checked mine, harness is stiff and don't move much. I can't feel anything that could be an issue. Gonna try to wrap the harness in that area with a piece of heater hose just in case.

Edit: update.
Look on the upper shock tower left side of bike under seat. The harness crosses the frame at that location and is pressed against the frame/shock tower area.. There are several areas where I would insulate, I just wrapped the whole area with a heater hose. Then further up on the left in the area of grey wolfs pic is a weld in the frame that is very close to the harness. It is right at the engine mount welds. I also wrapped this run of harness in heater hose.. Mine showed no signs of wear but some bikes depending on assembly may be routed slightly different, it only takes a few mm to screw things up.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
1.5 slit lengthwise cut to fit. It unrolls pretty good size. Only small areas need to be covered. The one fwd along frame rail is the longest.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had something protruding near the welded junction of casting/extrusion on the frame. This will vary from bike to bike and appears not part of any corrective QA before leaving the factory. If I recall correctly there was a bend in the harness at the contact point, which seemed to me to increase the chance of concentrated wear.

Don't kid yourselves guys, thinking that if the harness feels stiff it doesn't move, or that a significant sharp edge is needed for wear. Unless you're running a detailed analysis of natural resonant frequencies of the component, followed by an extensive testing program, you should assume it does move. There may be natural harmonics from engine vibes and transients from road shocks that could quite possibly cause nothing but that harness to vibrate, even just very imperceptibly... Friction with a smooth surface would be enough. The engineering of vehicles and machines is full of cases like that, usually only discovered after significant consumer usage. It's likely the case here, as the problems seem to need quite a few km's to surface...

As for this not being a common problem, bear in mind I didn't have a problem, but pretty early in my ownership I found out about it from general curiosity, and when I investigated my own bike I reckon it was a sitting duck for it to occur, but not now...

ps I only removed seat..

·
38,103 Posts
You don't even have to remove the seat. I stuck a piece of ABS plastic between the frame and the harness and ran a bead of black silicone seal where the plastic met the frame.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting screwed royally by this thing trying to put contact info up. If you want to see photos of my meltdown, send me an email at mspflyguy (at) gmail (dot) com. It won't let me list anything useful or post photos of what happened since Im a new user.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Where is the suspect area, under the coolant reservoir? :confused:

·
Registered
240 Posts
As I recall, LHS against the inside of frame, roughly around the seat/tank junction? It's been a while, not at bike at minute...

ps.. Okay, was headed up to shed anyway... Yep, just aft of lower left corner of coolant reservoir, directly under bolt holding subframe to main. My harness has slight bend from straight run aft to slightly outboard, bending around and contacting thin flange on back inside edge of cast vertical section of frame. Surface is not smooth, whether sand cast surface or weld spittle I cannot tell. One small piece of stick-on high density foam and I'm happy.

There.... White object my small piece of sticky foam.

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
As I recall, LHS against the inside of frame, roughly around the seat/tank junction? It's been a while, not at bike at minute...

ps.. Okay, was headed up to shed anyway... Yep, just aft of lower left corner of coolant reservoir, directly under bolt holding subframe to main. My harness has slight bend from straight run aft to slightly outboard, bending around and contacting thin flange on back inside edge of cast vertical section of frame. Surface is not smooth, whether sand cast surface or weld spittle I cannot tell. One small piece of stick-on high density foam and I'm happy.

There.... White object my small piece of sticky foam.
Thanks Zone 5. The picture is helpful.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts