StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to pick up my '08 V on Saturday. Then it's a 500+ mile shake down trip back home on Saturday evening and Sunday.

For my GPS I already have a RAM handlebar mount from another bike. Also have a USB power cable with plenty of length to get up to the bars. Have a fused coax connector lead that I'll hook up to the battery. Run a Y connector so I can power the GPS and my heated gear.

Is it possible to quickly conceal the GPS power lead under the tank/plastics with zipties?

I don't want the lead running straight back over the tank, even just to get it home. Have to believe that it would just scuff the paint by the time my ride home ended.

Once I get it back here I'll do a proper job of running the wire.

Matt

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't know how the hell I ended up posting in the Mods and Performance forum. Move this sucker to where it belongs if ya can.

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
I don't know if it will work on a DL1000 but when I first got my DL650 I ran a power wire along the left side of the bike without lifting the tank. I first wrapped it in one of those spiral wire protectors and fished that through.It worked fine for quite a while and only changed it once I realized how easy it was to take off the gas tank.

On another note, if your GPS has a battery it is hard to imagine it won't last for a day.

..Tom

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know what? You're right. I can stop and pick up new ones along the way if need be.

One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
654 Posts
recomendation
http://www.easternbeaver.com/

This is for after u get home mind you, but loads of wiring kits specific for the DL. Including kits for adding cigerate/powerlet connectors. Mind you any gps I know of her euses cigerate lighter, hence why I used them but powerlet is better for holding socket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congratulations on the bike.

Just battery power would be great for the ride home, you don't mention what sort of GPS it is.

If however, you want a quick and dirty hack to keep your GPS alive, and it has some battery ability, you can positap the low beam headlight wire, especially if your run is during the daytime. When you get home just pull the tap and tape over it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not to sound like a smart :asshole: or anything, but do you know how to get home or are you unfamiliar with how to get out of where you bought the bike? I just ask because if your GPS does need a power supply and you can't wire it "quick-fix" like. You could go to Walmart and buy a hand held with a bar adaptor and use it to get home. Since they accept almost everything for return, you could just return it when you get home with some BS like "the wife bought me the same thing for my...".

Not the answer you were looking for, but it might be worth it if the batteries for the GPS you have are expensive or not AA!

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm good to go on the route and whatnot. Just a nice tool to use while riding for keeping track of mileage, times, speed, etc.

It's a Garmin Oregon 400T. I also use it for geocaching and just generally dicking around. Runs on 2 AA and I'll have one fully charged set of NIMH installed.

Matt

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
recomendation
http://www.easternbeaver.com/

This is for after u get home mind you, but loads of wiring kits specific for the DL. Including kits for adding cigerate/powerlet connectors. Mind you any gps I know of her euses cigerate lighter, hence why I used them but powerlet is better for holding socket.
Already have my list made out. At this point I'll probably wait until bringing it out for the new season.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can buy a water-resistant cigarette lighter plug receptacle for about $5-6.00 and wire that directly to your battery and plug your GPS power cord directly into that under the seat, and run your cord along the frame, under the tank.

You can use zip-ties to secure it to the frame and handlebars. You can find the cigarette lighter plugs in the electrical section of the auto parts dept; in most stores that carry them...I actually bought mine in a Meijer Dept. Store

This is how my NUVI is permanently wired on my Strom and CBR.

Big Caveat.......Make sure that you GPS is compatible with a 12V system if you decide to wire it directly to your battery and remove the cigarette lighter style end on the power cord. Some GPS units (Garmin NUVI, for example) run on 5V and will "fry" if you remove the OEM powercord plug and connect it directly to a 12V power source.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
batteries only

A Garmin Oregon should work 8 to 12 hours on batteries. With frugal use, turning it off and then only when needed for navigation, it would probably last for many 500 miles trips. So don't bother with any sort of temporary wiring.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A Garmin Oregon should work 8 to 12 hours on batteries. With frugal use, turning it off and then only when needed for navigation, it would probably last for many 500 miles trips. So don't bother with any sort of temporary wiring.

And it'll probably "crap out" when you really need it...........:furious:

IMO...Spend the five bucks for the plug and have all the power you need and you won't have to be "frugal" on your power usage.

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
And it'll probably "crap out" when you really need it...........:furious:

IMO...Spend the five bucks for the plug and have all the power you need and you won't have to be "frugal" on your power usage.
He isn't reluctant to spend the money on anything.. he wants a quick install for the 500 mile ride home.

Personally, I would rather spend a few bucks on batteries in this case rather than mess around with wiring stuff that far from home. I know it's simple, easy to do, but why risk invoking Murphy's Law?

..Tom

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I already have all the necessary plugs and wiring. Just won't have the time to install it properly when I pick up the bike.

·
Administrator
13,582 Posts
I'm good to go on the route and whatnot. Just a nice tool to use while riding for keeping track of mileage, times, speed, etc.

It's a Garmin Oregon 400T. I also use it for geocaching and just generally dicking around. Runs on 2 AA and I'll have one fully charged set of NIMH installed.

Matt
Matt, my experience is that the NIMH batteries will will lose power faster than Alkaline batteries in colder weather so they may not last that long. I don't know about the Oregon but my Garmin 60Cx has a setting for NiMH batteries and alkaline as the voltage is a bit different. Also, when plugged in the backlight stays on, but on batteries the default is for the backlight to only be on for a specified time. This greatly saves battery life. You can keep the backlight on but then the drain is much larger. I don't know if this applies to the Oregon or not but if your 500 mile ride includes night riding the backlight might be improtant to you.

..Tom

·
Registered
780 Posts
I already have all the necessary plugs and wiring. Just won't have the time to install it properly when I pick up the bike.
Lift the seat , loosen the two battery screws, terminate the plug that I mentioned earlier, re-tighten the battery screws, install the seat, and worse case scenario, secure the power cord to the tank with duct tape......10 minutes tops.

All the power you'll need........and it's temporary until you get home and wire it the way you want it...."I'm just sayin'"

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I had of known it was a hand held, I would have summed up much earlier with my first response. AA batteries are cheap enough. If it has the carbiner clip like my Oregan 300 does, hook it to the "Wire Guides" of the handle bars. I have run mine there for all my trips and haven't had an issue. When the batteries die, stop for gas and change them. Lower your back light setting to minimal and this will prolong the battery life also.

You take the pointy end of the egg and...

Not trying to tell you how to suck eggs!

Have a good and safe trip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts