StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've got a new Garmin 350LM and an SW Motech mount. I've been trying to decide how to the run the power cable to the unit.

Are people drilling holes or is there an ideal place to hide the cable so that it is hidden in the dash area?

I've got the wiring itself covered - it's just running the cable in a nice looking way to the GPS on the dash.

Thoughts? Could find anything specific in search...

Thanks,

Pete

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,349 Posts
I drilled a small hole in the dash immediately below the lip at top of dash. I too have the SW Motech GPS mount. Which could be a little stiffer for rough road use.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Plan A
The recessed dash screws have very small rain wateer drain holes. slightly enlarge one of those and run the wire through that. No stressing out on making new holes in your unblemished dash.

Plan B
Price out the dash panel bits and put a small hole in the part that is the cheapest to replace and cosmeticaly acceptable.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You can take a rubber cover off an unused windscreen mounting hole.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are you wiring back to your battery/fusebox area, or do you have a power socket installed somewhere?

When I mounted my zumo 660 on the Motech mount, I routed the cable down behind the windscreen and thru one of the big holes at the bottom of the windscreen mounts. Those holes exit down behind the fairing, near the headlights. From there, it was a simple matter or tie-wrapping the GPS power cable along that big electrical cable that goes aft to the battery area.

Here's a picture - can you see the cable?

You can just see it as it disappears into the hole below the windscreen mount. (I have the Madstad brackets, in case yours looks different - the windscreen is removed in this picture)

·
38,048 Posts
You can just see it as it disappears into the hole below the windscreen mount. (I have the Madstad brackets, in case yours looks different - the windscreen is removed in this picture)
The OP has a Glee. Note the forum name. It doesn't have such a method available.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All very helpful thanks!

The windshield mount holes would have been a great idea but the plug doesn't fit.

I'm in the garage now so I will post pics of the results tonight.

Pete

·
38,048 Posts
Cut the plug off, put the wire through, splice the wires back together and make the length a precise fit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cut the plug off, put the wire through, splice the wires back together and make the length a precise fit.
I could but I am hesitant because I am not sure if I will keep this GPS. I've got 30 days to decide.

It's the new Garmin 350LM and I'm likely one of the first people to try it. The power cable is different as it has a 5 volt converter as the unit is USB powered. It is also missing a key feature - mobile phone Bluetooth. But I will try it with my Scala G9 before I decide. Overall the screen is bright and the navigation appears good.

I finished the install and will post up pics later.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a similar method for my zumo. How are you fiding the 350?
It's only two days old (I'm probably one of the first to receive one), but I'm having issues with the unit locking up, issues with loading routes from Basecamp and I'm disappointed that the Bluetooth is crippled to only headset compatibility (no mobile phone). However, the unit has a beautiful, bright screen and the new interface is much slicker than other Zumos.

Overall, the jury is still out and I am leaning more to the disappointed side. This isn't a replacement for the Zumo 660 and for me, buggy. A trip next week will be the judge whether or not it goes back.

Pete

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks for the 350 update, I'll agree with you that it doesn't seem to be a 660 replacement, but if they can make a screen visible in sunlight, that would be helpful.

I think Garmin are now using the customer to beta test their product, which isn't a sensible thing to do in the long run. On the zumo forums there's other mentions of the 350 locking up repeatedly.

·
Registered
635 Posts
That is an awesome set up, let us know how that model of Zumo works out, it looks very sleek.

Thanks for the great pictures too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think Garmin are now using the customer to beta test their product, which isn't a sensible thing to do in the long run. On the zumo forums there's other mentions of the 350 locking up repeatedly.
That's me on the Zumo forum - I think I'm the still the only one on there with one still.

Pete

·
Registered
270 Posts
question......
What do you have to remove to get the cable under the dash??
Windscreen and then what??? Is it a major production to get it in there??
I'm using a Richland Rick's mount and powering a 660. The plugs are big.. I really don't want to cut anything if I don't have to..

tnx

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
question......
What do you have to remove to get the cable under the dash??
Windscreen and then what??? Is it a major production to get it in there??
I'm using a Richland Rick's mount and powering a 660. The plugs are big.. I really don't want to cut anything if I don't have to..

tnx
I removed the bolt and plastic fastener in red in the picture on both sides. That gave me enough space to seperate the pieces by about an inch and slide the cable up from the bottom. I then drilled a small notch for the cable to sit in at the center. It's barely visible but you will need to make a notch if you go this route as the pieces don't fit together with the cable in between without it.

Overall, not hard at all. Hope that helps - consider some of the other options mentioned in posts above too.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I removed the bolt and plastic fastener in red in the picture on both sides. It's barely visible but you will need to make a notch if you go this route as the pieces don't fit together with the cable in between without it.

Big Thanks... I was messing with it this morning and I could do a outside cable install with nylon cable clamps. I would still have to drill some hole to mount the clamps though. Tastefully hidden of course.
On the other hand the "in the dash" routing is a neater, more "sanitary" install.. Being a old Ham radio builder, my wires just have to look right....... Oh yeah, and work.......... and don't rub or chafe.. You know...
O.C.D.+A.D.D.= WTF???

Like I said I'm mounting a 660 with a big connector at one end and a bunch of accessory connectors coming off of a multi connector output. Audio,blue tooth and someother connector I have no clue what it's for.. So Ill prolly snake everything from the top down, under the tank and to the fuze box..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts