StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 v-strom 650 and looking for advise for wiring a powerlet socket kit to my bike? I would like to limit the risk of draining my battery if devises are left plugged in, but would like to keep the install and accessories as simple as possible. I have little experience with bike wiring and have not been able to find some simple instruction on the forums or youtube.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
What do you intend to plug into the outlet? It's easy to find enough power for a GPS or phone that is switched with the ignition but more complex to run a high load device like an air compressor.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
Using a switched outlet will allow you to run big power to an outlet though a relay.
Even a GPS will drain the battery if left on long enough. How do I know that?
I ran my 12v outlet with a fuse but direct to the battery. So I have to remember to shut stuff off.
Do it right and enjoy the benefits!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've wired a switch in (red LED toggle switch from Adventure Tech) so that I can make my ACC outlet (right, below) direct connect to the battery, or only while the engine key switch is on. Obviously include a fuse in the circuit if you do this. Normally pretty fail-safe. Switch it over to continuously power accessories or plug in a battery tender if need be.

The green switch powers an accessory SAE connector for compressors or the like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts