StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Just one recomendation. Check tires with every fill up and save the money for gas & Grin's........or what ever .:-D

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Just one recomendation. Check tires with every fill up and save the money for gas & Grin's........or what ever .:-D
+1
If you want to ride off road at all with lower tyre pressures it will become a pain in the a.
IMO they are really only good for lazy people or on the case of a slow leak which by definition shouldn't really be much of an issue because you should notice the slow deterioration in handling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would get it...if it were about $200 less. I think it's a great idea, but that's just too much $$ for something that you can easily do yourself. I do love gadgets and would get that if it were more reasonable. IMO, every little thing you can do for safety is good. (or is that just justification for a new gadget?)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1
If you want to ride off road at all with lower tyre pressures it will become a pain in the a.
IMO they are really only good for lazy people or on the case of a slow leak which by definition shouldn't really be much of an issue because you should notice the slow deterioration in handling.
Well, not always. Example: On monday I made a 500 miles highway stratch 2-up and loaded, coming back from 4 days trip to Death Valley. I was going around 90 mph in very gusty wind for last 250 miles on the interstate, where is no turns whatsoever. You won't feel a difference in handling untill it's too late. And yes, I'm lazy :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The one area where checkign your tires(or not being lazy as some call it) won't help you is when you get a flat while riding in the rear. Centrifugal force keeps the tire from flattening out on the rim and is hard to notice if your just going in a straight line like on the interstate or somthing. It will show its head though when you slow down for a stop etc... and then its a suprise. Thats what happened on my last flat.

Never hurts to be able to give a quick look to see what the pressures are. Especially if you ride some dirt and gravel roads where your chances of a flat goes way up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one area where checkign your tires(or not being lazy as some call it) won't help you is when you get a flat while riding in the rear. Centrifugal force keeps the tire from flattening out on the rim and is hard to notice if your just going in a straight line like on the interstate or somthing. It will show its head though when you slow down for a stop etc... and then its a suprise. Thats what happened on my last flat.

Never hurts to be able to give a quick look to see what the pressures are. Especially if you ride some dirt and gravel roads where your chances of a flat goes way up.
Yep. That is exactly why I want to get a TPMS. I'm trying to avoid straight interstates, but sometime they are necessary evil. And these roads have all kind of crap laying around. Nails, screws, pieces of wire. etc. I usualy check tires on almost every stop, but it's just a "manual" touch-kick check. How many people actually get the gauge and check the pressure on every stop?

As for the TPMS, I think I'm gonna get SmartTire when it's time for the tire change: http://www.smartire.com/motorcycles

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I looked at these things a while back.
For the short term i ended up using some valve stem caps from walmart that when over 30lbs(i think its 30 lbs anyway) it shows green in the cap and when its under 30 lbs it shows red. They were only 5 bucks for 4 caps and it allows me to take a quick look before riding and know that i have at least more than 30lbs of air in them. Cheap, safe, and its quick enough that you acutally look before you ride unlike having to check with a tire guage.

Is there enough space in the little "galley" (if you can call it that) in the front rim for that to fit in? Teh front rim is not very wide but i can't remember just how wide the center section is since my last tire change. ??

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yep. That is exactly why I want to get a TPMS. I'm trying to avoid straight interstates, but sometime they are necessary evil. And these roads have all kind of crap laying around. Nails, screws, pieces of wire. etc. I usualy check tires on almost every stop, but it's just a "manual" touch-kick check. How many people actually get the gauge and check the pressure on every stop?

As for the TPMS, I think I'm gonna get SmartTire when it's time for the tire change: http://www.smartire.com/motorcycles

So, uh, Mr Spock, did you ever get the TPM system and if you did how is it working out for you? OF course, you could just do a mind meld with the tires....well, maybe not :devil_16:

Just kidding, but I really did want to know how they are working for you. Seems like a worthwhile farkle if you can keep the tire monkeys from breaking the sensors when changing the tires.

Cheers!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hotshoetom, I ordered the system couple months ago from VulcanTire. Received it shortly, but it was defective. The screen of the unit was cracked. I emailed the support, they replied the same day asking to send them a picture of the defective unit, so I did. Next day they shipped me replacement - no RMA, no other hassle. Great service!!! 3 weeks ago I installed sensors along with pair of Tourances. The fit is snug, and you’ll be in trouble if you try to roll the bike with completely deflated tires. IMO not a problem, since you'll be in greater trouble way before your tires deflate to zero PSI.

So far it works great. Pretty accurate readings. What is kinda annoying it doesn’t display tire pressure all the time. You need to push the button to see it. Another perk is the digits are dark. I can’t read it sometime in direct light. But overall it’s great. I don’t need to dive under the bike every morning to check pressure.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hi

It is a shame it turns off all the time and is a bit dark. I did not even see the above models when I bought mine, I bought a Tire Watch from Vanco

How much did you pay all up? I paid $350US + shipping, but I do get the unit on all the time the tires are turning and it also has tire temp as well.

The sensor profile is a lot smaller. I am happy so far, they have been installed for about 2 months now.

Cheers
TS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi

<snip>

How much did you pay all up? I paid $350US + shipping, but I do get the unit on all the time the tires are turning and it also has tire temp as well.

<snip>

Cheers
TS
I paid $169 + shipping. The unit turned ON with ignition, but the sensors activated only when tires are spinning. It displays tire pressure, tire pressure deviation and tire temperature. All three parameters have programmable alert settings and pretty accurate as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Id opt for the Smart tire style, if I had to put one on my bike. That first thing you posted is BUTT ugly.
However, Id rather take the money for the device, mounting and dismounting both tires, and hit a track day.
But thats me.
If this will give you better peace of mind, then go for it!

Just dont expect to get your money out of ot when you sell your bike and get the NEW 2010 VStrom!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just dont expect to get your money out of ot when you sell your bike and get the NEW 2010 VStrom!
I wish you could get any money out of what is invested in the bike... If one thought this way he would never bought a single farkle, except perhaps the crash bars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is another alternative. Kisan tireAlert: http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=6
But it's new on the market and I haven't seen anybody using it. You will also need to install receivers to your fork and swingarm and wire them up to the monitor and power. How's that wireless :confused:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I looked at these things a while back.
For the short term i ended up using some valve stem caps from walmart that when over 30lbs(i think its 30 lbs anyway) it shows green in the cap and when its under 30 lbs it shows red. They were only 5 bucks for 4 caps and it allows me to take a quick look before riding and know that i have at least more than 30lbs of air in them. Cheap, safe, and its quick enough that you acutally look before you ride unlike having to check with a tire guage.

Is there enough space in the little "galley" (if you can call it that) in the front rim for that to fit in? Teh front rim is not very wide but i can't remember just how wide the center section is since my last tire change. ??
FYI

I have bought two sets of the walmart pop up green tire pressure sensors and each had one failure in under 6 months. Used on cars and motorcycles and when they failed the pop up valve allowed the tire to go flat. Cars were parted outside in California in an area that gets freezes a few time a year.

So be careful

1 - 20 of 21 Posts