StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have wireless earbuds that they can recommend? Specifically for helmet use, of course.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I got some Fuze bluetooth ear buds as a present. You can buy them bluetooth or corded. They are DIY custom fit so they sit flush with your ear and would work with a helmet. There is a little dongle about the size of 5 stacked quarters that you clip to your collar. They aren't high fidelity but sound fine and are an inexpensive place to start. I like mine but I don't use them on my bike as I have a Sena set up and I like that functionality (changing volume, skipping songs, making a call, intercom). A Sena type set up can't be beat for that.
I mainly use the earbuds for working out. They cost around $35. I'm sure you can get better if you want to pay more. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
The dongle approach makes more sense from battery and fit standpoint for a helmet but I prefer my Shure 215s for good sound, low profile and modular design and it can plug directly to the SENA 20.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I have a Sony SH-50 that is a dongle but it has an OLED display and can manipulate songs on your phone - works exactly like a headset with remote - even has a microphone for calls. That said I find it just as easy to wear the normal earbuds plus no battery.
I have yet to find a helmet ear speaker that sounds worth a damn. I have a Cardo Scala Rider G4 that was just ok. I tried upgrading teh earpieces to uClear which frankly I call them a hoax since they have terrible sound.
I look at earbuds as a two-fer - I get to listen to audiobooks, podcasts and tunes plus hearing protection from wind noise.

BTW - y'all check out the OverDrive app for your phones. It plays audiobooks and can even hookup to your library or internet repositories and check out audiobooks and play them. Seriously cool.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have Sound Peats that are awesome, but I use them for running, not riding. Might be a bit bulky to get under the helmet. I use a Sena with speakers in the helmet for the bike. Works great with the phone/music, etc., but sounds like that;s not really what you want.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Originally Posted by Brojon View Post

I have yet to find a helmet ear speaker that sounds worth a damn.
I suspect you've never tried the Sena 20s when placed inside a quality helmet.
Quality helmet is meaningless...no in helmet speaker can come even close to quality earphones with proper tips.....the physics are flat out wrong and don't get me started about ambient noise attenuation.

You must have a seal to get any bass, you must have a seal to get the -26 db noise attenuation.
No helmet except one has a seal and I'm not sure they even got it to production.

Brojon is correct.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quality helmet is meaningless..

I guess we have different criteria for what we consider quality sounding speakers. Hell I'm almost deaf so I'm happy just to have clear sound as I blast down the road.

You may not achieve the quality you're looking for with the speakers compared to buds but I assure you, the helmet makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of the music. I had a cheap modular helmet and was disappointed when I installed the speakers. I have since upgraded to a Shoei Neotec and thoroughly enjoy the speakers and crystal clear phone conversations. It does take awhile to properly position the speakers. They need to be as close as possible to the ears without causing discomfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I suspect you've never tried the Sena 20s when placed inside a quality helmet.

I have. Sucks, compared to a good set of earbuds. And, I mean, SUCKS. That includes standing still in the garage, with zero wind noise. The speakers just aren't anywhere near the quality I prefer for music/audio.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have. Sucks, compared to a good set of earbuds. And, I mean, SUCKS. That includes standing still in the garage, with zero wind noise. The speakers just aren't anywhere near the quality I prefer for music/audio.

Ok, not be as good as good ear buds.

After taking the time to properly position mine in my helmet I've been SUPER HAPPY with them. Obviously they aren't suitable for everyone.

If anybody is still considering helmet speakers it's imperative to position them as close as possible to your ears without causing pain. Take your time installing them and experiment with different pad thicknesses to get the best sound quality.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
That aspect is correct and what you are trying to do is get the seal that is required ...and you can sort of do it - but not to music quality standards.
If you are using in helmet speakers and riding without earplugs then yah ur deaf >:)

I actually most often run with earphones in direct from the iphone for music and talking books and can still hear the Sena's for bike to bike
or Sena's and earplugs bike to bike ...the Sena's get just loud enough to that they will overcome the -30 db the earplugs give you ....and which you need to keep your hearing intact.

I used to use UltimateEars - good sound for about $70 and would clear the helmet but would break over time
I switched the Shure 215s and won't be going back..modular, durable and low profile

this is the seal you need both for hearing protection and music reproduction

A huge key is getting the correct tips....I find Westone tips more durable, equally good sound and less expensive ...they still wear out but not quite so quick.

These are Westone acoustic foam tips

Silicone tips will not attenuate ambient noise as well

BTW earbuds and earphones are two different things.

Earphones have replaceable tips that fit into the earcanal giving you the seal you need. They can also run to four figures in cost with triple armatures...sophisticated bits of acoustic engineering.

Earbuds ( think iPhone white jobbies) fit into the outer ear but do not seal and do not have replaceable tips.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I guess we have different criteria for what we consider quality sounding speakers. Hell I'm almost deaf so I'm happy just to have clear sound as I blast down the road.

You may not achieve the quality you're looking for with the speakers compared to buds but I assure you, the helmet makes a huge difference in the enjoyment of the music. I had a cheap modular helmet and was disappointed when I installed the speakers. I have since upgraded to a Shoei Neotec and thoroughly enjoy the speakers and crystal clear phone conversations. It does take awhile to properly position the speakers. They need to be as close as possible to the ears without causing discomfort.

That's what I have is a Neotec.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Quality helmet is meaningless...no in helmet speaker can come even close to quality earphones with proper tips.....the physics are flat out wrong and don't get me started about ambient noise attenuation.

You must have a seal to get any bass, you must have a seal to get the -26 db noise attenuation.
No helmet except one has a seal and I'm not sure they even got it to production.

Brojon is correct.
One of the things I've been contemplating is bone conduction transducers are making a comeback.
Saw an ad the other day for a vest that uses bone conduction.
This one is bulky but they should be able to shrink it - the original product was the BoneFone.
Bone Fone | Modern Mechanix

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/427887/a-phone-you-can-hear-in-your-bones/

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
No high frequencies but Dire Straits pretty good :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2 cents…..

I use my apple ear buds with the built in microphone and just use medical tape to seal them in place. I also have a decent full face helmet, so wind noise isn't a problem. Conversations never seem to be an issue while on the phone, except when my mother calls and she freaks out that I'm talking and riding at the same time. I may look for a more comfortable pair of earbuds/earphones this summer for a long trip I'm doing, but for $4 in medical tape, I get great sound with a standard earbud.

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I currently use a Sena 20 with helmet speakers that I like, but do not love. Just purchased Plugphones at the NY Motorcycle show. I used them prior to the Sena. They insert directly into the ear canals for an airtight fit. Super clear music, and unnecessary to crank up the sound. Downside is the price at $100., and they can make your ear canals sore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts