I think they're tubeless.

TOUGH!!!

·
Registered
654 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Spoked wheels are more durable. If you ever bend a rim on a spoked wheel its pretty cheap to have a new rim laced to the hub then buying a whole new wheel.

Although it would take alot of wheel bashing for the wheels to make up for that price tag.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are spoke wheels made for tubeless tires. Look at the BMW R1200GS, they use them. But they are not traditional spoke wheels with the spokes in the center. The spokes are offset to the side of the rim so that they do not protrude into the center of wheel, the airspace of the tire. Therefore the rim, where the tire is, is solid and holds air, the spoke holes are past the tire bead. Also, I would think this would make the wheel even stronger with the better angle on the spokes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
There are spoke wheels made for tubeless tires. Look at the BMW R1200GS, they use them. But they are not traditional spoke wheels with the spokes in the center. The spokes are offset to the side of the rim so that they do not protrude into the center of wheel, the airspace of the tire. Therefore the rim, where the tire is, is solid and holds air, the spoke holes are past the tire bead. Also, I would think this would make the wheel even stronger with the better angle on the spokes.
Moto Guzzi does the same thing for some of their bikes.
Additionally, there is another company here in the USA that makes spoked tubeless wheels. I think they do it differently, though--something like a false bottom, where the part the spokes connect to is actually further inside the tire than the part that holds air. I saw an add in a magazine for this company, but can't remember the name anymore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts