StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read in this forum that "true " dirt bikes have wire spoke wheels and that the Wee's cast wheels indicate that the V Stroms are not "dirt" bikes. Can anyone tell me why this is?

06 Wee, well farkeled and becoming well traveled

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Tubes. Cast rims if the take a big hit, say a rock can leak and are difficult to fix on the road. Spoked wheels and tubes can dent but are more likely to keep the air in them. Not many people use tubes and cast tire rims. IMO , anyplace I would need spoked wheels I most likely would not take a 'Strom

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like cast wheels and tubeless tires. If I wanted a "true" dirt bike it would not be a Wee...or any other 650cc motorcycle for that matter. It would weight less than 300 pounds and have 11 inches of suspension travel.

The Wee is what it is...an "adventure touring bike". To me that means it could do a dirt road (which mine handles without issue) if it had to. Mine lives on the back roads of America, not off on some single track or some race course. The bike is what it is...and that is great with me. I don't like spoke wheels on my street bike. Too much work truing them up. And the tubeless tires run cooler and handle better.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frankly, I agree that the Strom is not a dirt bike, it is capable of running most dirt roads as well as paved. I call it a two wheeled SUV to my friends who don't ride.

Thanks for the information on cast rims and tubeless tires, that was something I had not thought of!

06 Wee, well farkeled, becoming more traveled

·
Registered
206 Posts
I say the same thing when I explain my bikes. My Strom is like an SUV of motorcycles.

I also think the strom would just look better with wire wheels. I like'em!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wire Wheeled Wee

I have built a WWW. My set was built from the parts developed by RAD Manufactering. They are bad-ass, and have soaked up everything I have thrown at them. They have taken me to the top of Mosquito Pass in Colorado. I most definatly would of broken a stock cast wheel with what I have put them through, as I am extreemly hard on my bikes. Those wheels, with my dirt-bike suspension, has me traveling passes as fast as my brain will let it.
Here's a picture in Mexico coming home from Copper Canyon.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
Tubes. Cast rims if the take a big hit, say a rock can leak and are difficult to fix on the road. Spoked wheels and tubes can dent but are more likely to keep the air in them. Not many people use tubes and cast tire rims. IMO , anyplace I would need spoked wheels I most likely would not take a 'Strom
Bent my front cast rim this summer hitting a rock at 60 mph in dusty dual track. Rim still holds air. For cost of wire wheels I bought a real dirt bike (xr400r for $700 plus upgrades). Now I have more fun offroad and my more expensive and fragile Wee stays within its limits.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Wire wheels have some flex which help absorb/difuse impact energy.

This is why it is important to keep the spoke nipples lubricated with spoke-type wheels.

·
Registered
86 Posts

This is why it is important to keep the spoke nipples lubricated ...

Can't wait to see where this goes from here

FWIW, the Strom can go many places far off the road - but it is certainly not designed to do it fast. It crawls over the reasonable rough stuff just fine, not bending/cracking the cast rims or bottoming out hard, until you hit the throttle too hard. Mud is another story, like any 2 wheeler.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts

This is why it is important to keep the spoke nipples lubricated with spoke-type wheels.

:confused:
So ... do you lube your spoke nipples before riding her hard? Or do you do it just before putting her to bed?:green_lol:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have built a WWW. My set was built from the parts developed by RAD Manufactering. They are bad-ass, and have soaked up everything I have thrown at them. They have taken me to the top of Mosquito Pass in Colorado. I most definatly would of broken a stock cast wheel with what I have put them through, as I am extreemly hard on my bikes. Those wheels, with my dirt-bike suspension, has me traveling passes as fast as my brain will let it.
Here's a picture in Mexico coming home from Copper Canyon.
That's a cool looking bike, just what I would like. But question? If you are as hard on your bike as you say, why no protection for the oil cooler? It's a sitting duck for rock damage!

·
Registered
8 Posts
About 2000 km on a DL 650 XT, my 2020 mostly street and here is the result: sandblasted spokes on the rear wheel. Anyone else in the same situation?

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N960F folosind Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I would have a chat with my dealer I think that is unsatisfactory and if all spoked bikes do that Suzuki will have a problem on their hands.

Reactions: slovcan

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just like the looks of spokes over cast. My Wee has cast and is tubeless. If I could find an affordable set of spoked wheels for my 2013, I'd be tempted to get them and convert them to tubeless.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Merci, Max.
Certainement quelque chose à penser et une opportunité de travailler le français de ma jeunesse. Dieu merci pour la traduction en ligne car mon français est horrible!

·
Registered
44 Posts
About 2000 km on a DL 650 XT, my 2020 mostly street and here is the result: sandblasted spokes on the rear wheel. Anyone else in the same situation?

The rest of the wheel looks like it has damage also. The hub and the gold even around where the spokes attach. Its possibly the cleaner you are using that has compromised the finish and has made it easier to damage. What do you use to clean them and also what are you using to clean the bike?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good news.
The photos above were taken at 7 o'clock in the evening and I didn't see too well. As I mentioned I felt it dry and rough and I didn't manage to remove it with chain cleaner.
Therefore I thought is a kind if pitting, caused by riding on dusty roads.

Today I checked again in daylight this is what I discovered:

• I used a very fine sand paper, and the dark spots disappeared
  • I tried again with chain cleaner, gasoline and thinner. None of them worked.
  • I used my nails to check if these dark spots are deposits or pitting corrosion. I looks like they are deposits of something really adhesive. Might be tar. Indeed I rode over some short segments of fresh roadwork, but it was cold and rainy and I thought it's solid and non sticky.

For the moment I feel relieved.

I am sorry for making you concerned about the Suzuki's quality.

If something new pops up, I'll let you know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts