StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a post recently that had a link to some interesting wire splice connectors. They looked clean and water tight...better than your average 5 cent butt connector. I did a search on threads and can't find it again.

Any Strommers that remember something like this being posted, please point me down the right path.

Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greywolf.
The ones that I remember seeing on this forum were splice terminal taps. They were posted in a somewhat unrelated topic about GPS's, or sat radio, or heated grips, or some other electrical device.

The pics of them looked like they were molded black plastic; they looked different than other splice taps I have seen. I think the author said the splice terminals were weather-resistant without adding tape or shrink tube.

I remember thinking..."I won't forget where to reference these again."
Ooops, I forgot and can't find them now. Geez, I hate when that happens.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The pics of them looked like they were molded black plastic; they looked different than other splice taps I have seen. I think the author said the splice terminals were weather-resistant without adding tape or shrink tube.
Weather-resistant isn't worth the effort. Make it waterproof by soldering the wires. I've seen too many of those 3M Scotchlock (and similar) taps fail over the years even out of the weather. On a bike, they're evil.

My own method of tapping a wire is to use a pair of wirestrippers and skin a few mm of insulation. With small wire gauges, you can usually just cut the jacket with the tool and move it out of the way. Then strip the end of the wire you're using to tap, wrap, solder, and tape (or liquid tape).

Use good tape like 3M 33+, take the time to wrap it well, and it will stay on there and stay weathertite for years.

Pictures are easier:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Maybe you were thinking of Posi-locks? http://www.posi-lock.com/posilock.html I haven't tried them yet as they are a bit expensive and hard to find in my area.

My experience with taps is you always have to strip the wire first and they always work themselves loose. A squirt of super-glue or silicon usually keeps them tight and waterproof though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Troopers for your replies and help.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Thanks bobosmite

Your post on the posi-tap is just what I need to wire up the brake light on my E52. The Givi taps are crap and just chewed up my zuk wires without powering the brake light. It appears that Harbor Freight and Wally World carry them. My 2 favorite stores. Except for Iron Pony.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts