StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up for a run to Winthrop (Hwy 20) run tomorrow (June 11th?).

Only 30% chance of rain and I need to get out on the road.

We could meet up at the Krispy Kreme doughnut store in Burlington (711 Haggen Drive, Burlington, WA) around 8 and leave by 8:30am.

Let me know.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A number of views and no replys -- I'm still going to be at the Krispy Kreme at 8 and will wait a while to see if anyone shows up.

Ride report will be posted later. :thumbup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wifey and I rode up to Diablo last weekend, great ride. I would have gone with you today but I am on call and have to stay somewhat close to the work truck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone was tied up -- so the Orangesicle and I went for a solo ride last Saturday.

First stop -- Krispy Kreme in Burlington for a snack for the road (sorry no photos of those lovely little bits of flour, sugar and fat).

First official stop - The Gorge powerhouse in Newhalem after a surprisingly lightly traveled Hwy 20. BTW - Traffic was one of the highlights of the day -- there just wasn't any except in downtown Winthrop. There it was a zoo of cars, people, bikes, and motorcycles.

Next stop at about 4000' elevation as the snow started to encroach on the road from the forest.

Both Rainy and Washington Pass were beautiful. The sun came out and the mountains sparkled. Here a snowbank aided in my self protrait along the way.

I pulled into the veiwpoint at Washington Pass where they had plowed a single lane in. When I got into the main viewpoint area, I found a whole bunch of cars parked nose to tail in that single lane. They could not pass each other. I squeaked by in the couple of feet left over and the rest of drivers were left to figure out how to get out of there. Kind of funny and I wished I had taken a picture. Especially as a bunch of bikers on Harleys went charging up the lane at a pretty good clip as I was heading out. I did not hear any crashes -- they hopefully slowed down before rounding the blind corner with all the cars in the road.

I should have stopped at the top of pass; however, was so enthralled -- headed off the pass before I thought to pull over and take a picture. BTW -- the snowbanks on Washington Pass were still over 20' high in many places and a whole lot of rock was mixed in with the snow.

For those that guessed where the Orangesicle was last summer, you might know that Orange likes suspension bridges - small and large. This one is in DT Winthrop crossing over the normally sedate Chewuch river. (You get a glimpse on the left side of the picture.)

In Winthrop, I grabbed a deli sandwhich and headed back towards home (trying to be home before 4 to take care of some chores).

Besides a quick gas stop, this was the last stop (until I arrived back on Camano) -- nice little creek next to the hiway where I sat and ate my lunch and finished my Krispy Kremes off.

All-in-all a fabulous 8 hour - 330 mile roundtrip ride. I'm ready to go again - and will be heading Hwy 20 again in 4 short weeks as we head to the West Rally in Boise. :hurray:

Are you ready to ride? Check out our West Rally thread here: http://www.stromtrooper.com/northwest/61159-lets-tour-2011-west-rally.html

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to go again -- Only thing is family has got this weekend all tied up.

Perhaps some other weekend - soon!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts