StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a southerner living in upstate NY. My riding days are numbered, as its getting pretty cold already. My Wee will be garage kept, but little to no heat. What should I do to prepare it. At a minimum, I was going to fill the tank and add some stabilizer and disconnect the battery. It is due a service, but I figured I would have it serviced when "riding season" arrives again. Is this good enough? If not, what else? I've never had to winterize anything so I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Most people change the oil for some fresh stuff. The old oil will have water + acids in it that can cause mischief in the motor when it is stored for a long time. That stuff doesn't really play a factor while the bike is being used regularly, but over a long NY winter, all that stuff will just be sitting in your engine having a party.

And, turning over the engine once a month [or two weeks!] and letting it run for 10 minutes keeps the oil in the top end and prevents fuel deposits from forming [even with fuel stabilizer!]

Battery tender, or take out your battery and keep it indoors over the winter.

Not much else....other than checking for mice nests in the airbox, or under the seat! I'm serious!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Running the engine occasionally for ten minutes is a bad idea. Leave it alone. Oil stays in the reservoirs at the top end. Running a cold engine for a short time is enough to create water as a byproduct of combustion yet not enough to boil it off. The water will remain and it will be corrosive.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
And, turning over the engine once a month [or two weeks!] and letting it run for 10 minutes keeps the oil in the top end and prevents fuel deposits from forming [even with fuel stabilizer!]
Uh ... I'm going to assume you misstated something there, because you surely must know that is the worst thing you can do. If you can't get it up to operating temperature for awhile, you do not want to fire it up. I don't think 10 minutes at idle is going to cut it.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Oil stays in the reservoirs at the top end.
I don't know anything about that, but I will suggest that if that were a concern, you could disconnect the sparks and just crank the engine on the battery for a few strokes. That would also circulate the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts