StromTrooper banner

Winter wind on the legs idea.

8K views 57 replies 38 participants last post by  notacop 
#1 ·
In these colder months, I find it annoying putting on a set of pants to keep the wind off the legs. I know we should be wearing full protective gear when riding, but if I’m being honest, I typically don’t wear leg protection.
This got me thinking…. Has anyone seen any aftermarket products that are added to the bike to keep the wind off? Kinda like a fairing that might attach to some crash bars or something. It would also double as rain/splash protection too. It would be something that could be removed relatively easily for off road riding also. Probably a terrible idea, but it would ge something I’d consider buying lol.

#2 ·
I'm always looking for cheap ways to get a few more spring & fall riding days. Maybe the Hippo Hands folks are working on something. Heated underlayers & socks coupled with Gor-Tex or similar waterproof riding pants is probably the best option.
I'm not aware of any fairing lowers for V-Stroms, and like hand guards, would'n stop much wind or rain, and cost about the same as heated long johns anyway.

#4 ·
#10 ·
I was just coming on to post a similar question.

I want to be able to ride comfortably in colder weather. I have a Fox Creek Leather jacket which is an awesome piece of gear and have been pondering their full pants (not chaps). The only downside I see is that they are just leather pants with no option for any armor. The alternatives are a variety of manmade fiber, 4 season pants which look more cumbersome to get on and off (which may lead to being worn less often? Thinking ATGATT)

What are the thoughts of the more experienced folks here (That'll be all of you)

#11 ·
There was a relevant thread two or three weeks ago.

#12 ·
DIY all the way. A few threads I dug up recently while considering the same:

And one (of many, I'm sure) elsewhere:

#21 ·
#37 ·
yes, I wear light shirt, heated jacket, moto jacket, rain jacket -- keeps the wind down and helps keep the heat in. I'm tempted to wear the pants but they are a hassle to put on (esp. if you forget and already got your boots on :)).

But this is when I'm on my Goldwing. The question is: how well does the 2020 Vstrom 1050 take a 90w heated jacket? i.e., can it generate enough power without worrying about dimming lights or a draining battery?

#27 ·
It would look a little odd, but would function well to either fabricate or modify cruiser type crash bars to fit. They already sell slip over lowers for those or could have an upholstery or leather shop sew some to fit. If having them made, could include a little storage pocket also.

If the crash bars were black, it wouldn't even look odd.

And laugh all you want, but a standard pair of chaps works very well and easy to put on and take off. I'm a function over form guy so will use anything that works. They are still being used in the cruiser world for a reason.

One more item that works well is the thermal boot liners from Cycle Gear. Pretty impressed with them.

#28 ·
To each his/her own, but speaking only for myself, I don't see the point of working so hard to avoid the correct solution, which is proper riding pants. They don't cost that much and there are gobs of options.

I ride year round in a place that rains a lot. The first time you ride in 40 degree rain, you'll figure out real quick what you need, and it won't be half-anything.

#29 ·
Riding in seriously cold conditions (snow and ice) riding pants weren't enough, the cold air flowing over your legs will pull enough heat to cause you problems anyway.
I found keeping my knees warm was most of it and those are pressed against the tight fabric of riding pants in most cases. That's why I suggested the hard shell MX leg protectors, those worked amazingly well where nothing else did.

#30 ·
There is a reason that the full boat touring bikes have lowers so manufacturers have addressed a solution on some bikes. Even the Honda Cub had protection from the elements. If you can stay out of the wind to a degree it helps; my Strom is much warmer in winter with handguards and fairing than my Sportster or XT225.

#31 ·
I was thinking about this the other day. I'm an ATGATT rider, and switched to my Aerostich Roadcrafter pants (from mesh) well over a month ago. But on mornings when the temperature is flirting with freezing, any help is appreciated.

I came up with the thought of attaching some soft bags to my crash bars for some wind protection on the legs. The set I have would probably be too bulky, but I know some soft-bag manufacturers make bags specifically for those bars.

#33 ·
I wear Aerostich fleece pants under my Roadcrafter R3 and over my regular street pants. These take me down to 0⁰f -18⁰c for one or two hour rides and all day riding at 14⁰f / -19⁰c.

They go on and off easily over street clothes and unlike long underwear don't overheat me when stopped.

..Tom

#35 ·
In these colder months, I find it annoying putting on a set of pants to keep the wind off the legs. I know we should be wearing full protective gear when riding, but if I’m being honest, I typically don’t wear leg protection.
This got me thinking…. Has anyone seen any aftermarket products that are added to the bike to keep the wind off? Kinda like a fairing that might attach to some crash bars or something. It would also double as rain/splash protection too. It would be something that could be removed relatively easily for off road riding also. Probably a terrible idea, but it would ge something I’d consider buying lol.
In the 70's Windjammer made fairings with removable lowers, I've never understood why that great practical idea faded away. I don't know why they stopped making self-cancelling turn signals either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.