StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am riding around on bald tires during this beautiful time of year and I need some recent reviews on tires for cold wet weather. Most of the reviews I see are from several years ago. I am searching for decent tires that won't break the bank. I do about 95% street. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
I am riding around on bald tires during this beautiful time of year and I need some recent reviews on tires for cold wet weather. Most of the reviews I see are from several years ago. I am searching for decent tires that won't break the bank. I do about 95% street. Any help would be much appreciated.
I have been running Bridgestone Battlewings front and rear. I am happy with their performance and no issues running in the rain or cold. Of course, when the snow flies, I put up the bike.

I get about 11,000 miles out of the rear and the front lasts about 1.5 to 2 rear tires.

First set was $202 (w/free shipping). Replaced the rear this spring and it was $142 (no free shipping).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Good sipes for drainage isn't as important as rubber compound. Sportbike tires are a bit lacking in % of grooves, but can still work in the rain, depending on it's compound. AMHIK.
Look for a late model tire with a good silica compound. A long lasting tire won't work in the rain very well, generally speaking. I won't cheap out when it comes for winter tires.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you expect from the tires but I've been using Tourance non-exp tires since 2006. I often ride in temperatures below freezing (coldest was +4 f on a one hour commute) and sometimes get caught with snow or slush on the roads. The only time I had an issue was getting kind of stuck in snow drifts that were 30 or so feet long when my rear tire was near bald. (I was going to change in the spring but went out for a winter ride.) I'm not a hard core winter rider like some here (Randyo?) and don't generally go riding when there is snow on my roads but the nature of where I have lived is that lake affect snow can quickly change things unexpectedly.

..Tom

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts