StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it isn't winter here yet but it sure feels like it!

I know I could be out skiing, snowboarding, sledding, dog sledding, cross county skiing, or whatever but I would much rather be riding my Strom. I also know my tires suck in the snow so I am not going to do that.

Does anyone know when spring is coming?

Can the Sheppard start working on the Spring ride so we can have something to talk about?

Am I going stir crazy? (Assuming I wasn't already.)

..Tom

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I find winter agonizing, with minor relief provided by reading cycle mags, looking up websites advertising the latest in farkles, planning wild and exotic bike trips with my riding pals and wishing humans could truly hibernate.

I will be attending the big bike show in Calgary come 4 Jan 08, so that will also help somewhat with easing the burden of winter.

At least I realize with each passing day, I am one day closer to riding my Wee once again...

;)

Cheers!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah its hitting hard this year.

I want to RIDE so bad.

Getting so bad i am pulling out my OLD paint ball stuff to mess with to pass the time LOL.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Surviving winter

I have several different coping strategies.

One is to use the time to review all the stuff we need to know to survive on the roads by reading Proficient Motorcycling, More Proficient Motorcycling, and various lists of tips and safety articles on the Internet. Another is to regularly browse through some of 200+ bike-related web sites I have bookmarked.

I have a DVD of Long Way Round to watch this winter. I’m about 150 pages into Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – not an easy read but hopefully a rewarding one.

Our family attempts to get out skiing and snowboarding every weekend. I usually attend a couple of the four Toronto area motorcycle shows over the winter.

This all helps, but can’t touch the feeling of firing up the bike on a cool summer morning to head off for a day ride on a favourite route through central Ontario.

Hurry up Spring!!

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think this year hurts (me) more than last for a number of reasons: I was down in Punta Cana the week from Dec 3rd to Dec 10th. That means I also missed the December Toronto Bike Show. I left in freezing rain (hwy 9 from Newmarket to the 400 was literally solid ice.. you could have skated!) In the daytime down there is was usually around 30 Celcius. Came back to lots of snow and now we have more! Last year this time I still was able to ride the Strom.

I also read Neil Peart's book "Ghost Rider" while I was there so that certainly put me back in the riding mood! I would be skiing but I messed up my right knee playing Beach Volleyball... after a couple of weeks it still isn't anywhere close to being right (should I see a doctor?)

Christmas should distract me for a bit but I hope to go to the January Toronto Bike Supershow (probably the Saturday, after work if anyone wants to join in...)

..Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
The forecast calls for 7 or 8c on Sunday; but they're also calling for rain. Maybe a ride around the 'hood or a quick scoot to Belfountain for a coffee.

Since putting the bike "to sleep" I've read, and highly suggest, Max Burns' "On Any Wednesday" and "These Are A Few of My Favorite Roads" as well as Ted Simon's "Dreaming of Jupiter". I've read a couple of philosophy and physics books as well. (read "Zen" and the concepts there are errily similar to certain paradoxical aspects of Quantum Mechanics) I should have a boatload of new books coming for Christmas about....well bikes! Should keep me pacified until March when the bike comes back out.

Patt

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I have read Pearts "ghost rider" and the newest one, "Roadshow"...both excellent reads, especially if ur a Rush fan (cant wait, they have announced a show in Wpg after 28 years).

I have also ready Long Way Round by Ewin McGregor and Charlie Boorman, own the series on DVD and am currently reading their latest adventure "Long Way Down".

Cheers!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Injuries

I would be skiing but I messed up my right knee playing Beach Volleyball... after a couple of weeks it still isn't anywhere close to being right (should I see a doctor?)

Christmas should distract me for a bit but I hope to go to the January Toronto Bike Supershow (probably the Saturday, after work if anyone wants to join in...)

..Tom
At our age, we can't afford to let joint injuries persist without treatment - they tend to become chronic a lot quicker than when we were young. I'd encourage you to see a doctor or trusted chiropracter/physiotherapist ASAP. My knees still get sore under stress even after extensive treatments and not riding the Wee for a year. They may never get back to 100%. I also managed to seriously mess up my right shoulder in October and snow shoveling is just making it all the worse. As soon as my benefits kick back in in January, I'll be going for treatments on that. :-(

I got down to the Dec. bike show. It's my favourite just because I like to see the new bikes. The new BMW 800 GS and Honda Varadero looked interesting but I would still take either Strom over both of them. I'll never get over having to sell my Wee due to knee issues. What a phenomenal bike! I will certainly be up for a ride with you and the gang come spring.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I’m about 150 pages into Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – not an easy read but hopefully a rewarding one.
I've read it twice. It's some heavy shit, in particular thru ~the 3rd quarter, but if you're at all like me and tough it out through the hard parts I think you'll be glad you did.

Can't remember verbatum what the first sentence is and I loaned my copy to a friend, but it's something like "I can see the time on my watch without taking my hand off the handlebars."

The first time I read it (and I still feel this way) I remember thinking "now THAT'S the start of a GOOD book!"

·
Registered
481 Posts
Maybe this picture can help take away the Winter snap. It is Airlie Beach, a little resort town and gateway to the Whitsunday Islands downunder. Nice DP riding around there from what they all tell me but Winter is tough as it's always Sunny and warm being in the tropics. Another thing that may be hard on the senses is all the topless ladies around every beach as that could cause some distraction whilst attempting to ride our bikes. Someone is twisting my arm to retire there, so just looking at some pics of the area keeps me sane in Winter. The only thing missing of course on the beach is my Vee, but when I retire, I will be kind enough to post pics of myself and my Vee on the beach roughing it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
o yes...that really made me feel good ;(

stuck here in Manitoba for nuther 4-5 months

Cheers

·
Registered
481 Posts
They tell me they’re getting real tired of riding their stroms to all the desolate beaches down there and snorkeling alone. I can see their point...who'd want to live a carefree, stress free life.....nope....not me! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've got no intention of winterizing but this is a long spell of what i consider unsafe riding in this area. i figured i might miss a couple weeks of riding but the winter looks worse than previous years. i remember last year bbq'ing in a t-shirt at xmas, so i'm still hopeful it's a mild winter. Maybe this sunday?

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
KLRMAN:

Not quite as nice as your picture, but Dominican was still pretty nice! I have a foot or two of snow in my back yard and my local roads are still covered with ice and/or snow. It's fun to bomb around in either of my cars but I'd still rather be riding my Strom.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do Polar bear swims Jan 1st, I was thinking if I wasn't skiing then it might be nice to go for a "Polar Bear" Strom ride... maybe we can get a few crazy's together and go for a ride and terrorize a Tim Horton's or something...

..Tom

I've got no intention of winterizing but this is a long spell of what i consider unsafe riding in this area. i figured i might miss a couple weeks of riding but the winter looks worse than previous years. i remember last year bbq'ing in a t-shirt at xmas, so i'm still hopeful it's a mild winter. Maybe this sunday?

·
Registered
481 Posts
My friend has been to the Dominican and your right, a great place for a Winter break and not so far away too. We have about a foot of snow here in BC too and I was actually thinking of taking my Vee on a midnight run but eventually backed out.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Winter may suck sometimes but...
The tropics is only fun until the next poisonous snake or spider bite.
Or until the annual hurricane season blows away your beach umbrella and the beach with it.
You forgot the salt water crocs, the poisonous jelly fish, the great white sharks and the sting rays to name a few!

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, all those are dangerous but don't even come *close* to the danger from the harried mother in her SUV talking on the phone while being late taking her kids to school.

..Tom

You forgot the salt water crocs, the poisonous jelly fish, the great white sharks and the sting rays to name a few!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts