StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

Anyone know if there are something to consider before winter storage of wee under cold conditions. Here in Norway we often hit like minus 30 degrees.

Last winter I did some small battery charge sessions now and then just to make sure the battery didnt go flat.

Last winter i also stored the bike with a half full gas tank. I heard from a friend that this could make the gas steam and leave water in the bottom of the tank. This could result in rust from the inside of the gas tank over longer periods.
He told me it was better to fill the tank up as much as possible before storing the bike.

This correct? Any other things to consider?

I do have the posibility to store the bike under warmer conditions but this will cost me :)

· Ex- moderator
1,132 Posts
Here in winnipeg it regularly gets down to -45. I use a battery tender, store the bike with a full tank of gas that has had a healthy dollop of either Seafoam or Stabil, and spray WD40 on all of the chrome or shiny alloy bits. Put the bike on its center stand with a piece of wood under it to get most of the pressure off the tires as well. All of my bikes start perfectly in the spring.

I would be remiss if I didnt offer my sympathies for the tragedies that recently occurred in your beautiful country....

· Registered
1,596 Posts
What Collingsbob said.
I live in cold climate too and have always been in the habit of taking the battery out of the bike when it gets stored. It is charged with a "smart charger" (optimate) about once every 2 months and just before it goes back to the bike. Left in the bike it will be draining faster and because of the temp., unable to recharge itself. Make sure you are using fresh antifreeze at a mix of at least 50% to distilled water. You can go to 70% in your climate. If you think there may be mice in the storage area stuff some steel wool in the exhuast pipe and intake snorkle and leave some mothballs under it and on it.

· Registered
7,576 Posts
A fully charged battery freezes at about -85°C. A discharged battery freezes at moderately freezing temperatures, and batteries do self-discharge. Either leave it connected to an automatic trickle charger or plug it into a charger at least one day each month.

Yes, completely filling the gasoline tank is best, along with a stabilizing product in the gas. Run the engine briefly to get the stabilizer throughout the entire fuel system.

· Administrator
15,282 Posts
In addtion to the above comments, (and I don't know if this is a concern in your country) if you can fill it with gas that does not have alcohol in it that would be better. Alcohol attracts moisture, and can stratify within the gas tank leaving a layer that has a high concentration of water in it.

..Tom

· Premium Member
4,195 Posts
As others have mentioned, I start adding fuel stabilizer to each tank of gas in November so that it is throughout the fuel system, not just in the tank.

Easy on a motorcycle, not so easy on a boat with a 100 gallon fuel tank....

· Registered
535 Posts
In addition to what everyone else has said, if you are storing your bike on a concrete floor try and either get the tires off the ground or at least on some wood or something. Concrete will suck the moisture out of rubber tires and lead to cracking and/or flat spots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.