StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to some unexpected things, I will have to finish my riding season next week. I will be putting the bike away until probably March. Besides battery charger and fresh oil as well as full tank of fuel, what other steps would I need to take to protect the bike? It will be sitting in an unheated storage unit. What kind of fuel stab. would you say is best? I will be covering it with bike cover and was thinking about closing the intake so that the mice don't get in, but I don't know how to reach up in there.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I've used stabil without issues. Traps and decon in a couple of corners of the garage.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
put some plywood under the tires.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've read that fogging the cylinders along with stuffing a clean rag in the exhaust hole to keep moisture from inside the muffler also helps with winter storage. I've used Stabil and also used Lucas Fuel Stabilizer....either one works great. A few mouse bait traps and you should be good.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Startron in the fuel gets good recommendations.

Air the tires up to the sidewall max for storage, then back down to your preferred riding pressure next year. I don't think that parking on concrete is a problem unless perhaps it is always moist with alkali seeping up.

Moth balls or a moth block keeps critters and mold away.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was considering moth balls as a mice repelant, but hopefuly with sub zero temps and unheated storage nothing will want to come in.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Definitely use a fuel stabilizer, just pick one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I pull my battery and leave it in the warm house.

When parking on concrete, I've always understood you should NOT use a cover. The moisture that comes off the concrete just gets trapped under the cover. This is assuming you are parking indoors.

I think outdoors, being covered in snow would be worse than moisture trapped under a cover.

Perhaps a get a cover with vents?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pull my battery and leave it in the warm house.

When parking on concrete, I've always understood you should NOT use a cover. The moisture that comes off the concrete just gets trapped under the cover. This is assuming you are parking indoors.

I think outdoors, being covered in snow would be worse than moisture trapped under a cover.

Perhaps a get a cover with vents?
My buddy left his chrome bike outside over the Winter and come Spring the thing is rusted. Glee will be sitting on foam pads on concrete floor covered with vented Guardian cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My buddy left his chrome bike outside over the Winter and come Spring the thing is rusted. Glee will be sitting on foam pads on concrete floor covered with vented Guardian cover.
Yes, outside I would cover it no doubt. If its in a garage, I personally wouldn't cover it.

I know some guys with "chrome" bikes that had rusting just from the moisture trapped under a cover while they had it parked inside a garage with a concrete floor (concrete released moisture). Pitted chrome is no longer pretty. Hopefully a vented cover remedies that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine sleeps in an enclosed trailer, which has rubber floor mats, year 'round. For any bike I've had I've just hooked up a battery tender and left a floor fan blowing on it all winter which has kept any condensation off the bike (uncovered). I add Sea Foam additive to the gas and keep the tank as full as possible. If the weather permits I get it out and ride some too, which probably helps. (Helps me anyway). :) As far as oil and tire pressure, I just do what's scheduled.

·
Registered
179 Posts
all I've ever done with any of my bikes is: 1) 1/2 can Seafoam(it's the best stuff on the market) IMHO.2)full tank of fuel.3)cover with a good quality,vented bike cover. Make sure you take the bike for a short ride after you put the Seafoam in the gas,to mix it up and get it into the fuel system.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the luxury this year of being in a heated condo parking garage, but last year before I left it in an unheated garage I cleaned it throughly, waxed it, and basically covered all the metal in FluidFilm, put it up on paddock stands to save the tires, closed up the exhaust with a plastic bag and elastic, threw on a cover and called it a day. Seemed to work fine - the fluidfilm washes off ridiculously easily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I purchased a "battery tender jr." a few weeks back. Should I leave this connected all winter or just make sure the battery is charged before I store the bike?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Read the directions on whatever fuel stabilizer you use. Quite a few of them say to drain the fuel after the winter and replace with fresh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Read the directions on whatever fuel stabilizer you use. Quite a few of them say to drain the fuel after the winter and replace with fresh.
Depending on the ethanol content in your area thats probably a good idea. Stabilized fuel will probably be fine but I just pull out most of the old stuff into a jerry can and burn it in the cage.

On my Katana I used to run 94 shell before the season ends with sea foam. But that was cause it was so much of a pain to drain the carbs.

With the FI i will probably just fill her with a Silver gas for the extra octane add Sea Foam take her for a ride for at least 15 mins to ensure any lines that might stay filled over the winter has stabilized fuel in them. Then i will pop her on the stands and leave her uncovered so i can work with her over the winter months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitely stabilizer, and I'd pull the battery out and put it inside somewhere. Maybe put some pads or plywood under the tires. I like to check on my tires once a month or so and keep the pressure up, just in case.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts