StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Winter Storage Options for motorcycle insurance $AVING$

Just a reminder to the fair weather riders out there......

Some insurance companies like Geico offer winter storage options from Oct. 1st to April 1st. These options if taken can save you some $$$$$$$ but will also severely limit your riding time. Call your agent or access your account online to find out for sure.
Storage isn't an option for me since I try to ride anytime there isn't ice or snow on Missouri roads but I thought I'd share and remind!

My insurance carrier offers two options and this is directly from their website:
---------------------------------------------------
A storage plan allows you to suspend coverage when you are not using your vehicle during the colder winter months.
We currently offer two different plans to meet your needs. Please choose the Winter Storage Plan you prefer:

Winter Storage Plan #1:

We will remove all coverage from your policy with the exception of Comprehensive Coverage.
If you currently carry Collision Coverage and your lienholder requires this coverage remain on the vehicle you have the option to keep this coverage as well.
If you currently have a policy that does not have Comprehensive Coverage we will add this coverage to your policy with a $500.00 deductible.
Enrollment in the plan is available from October 1st until January 15th.
The plan ends on April 1st. We will automatically remove your policy from the plan effective that date. If you would like to be removed prior to April 1st you have the option to do so.
During the time you are enrolled in the plan you may not operate your vehicle(s).

Winter Storage Plan #2:

All coverage remains on your policy.
You continue to pay the full policy premium during the time you are enrolled in the plan.
Upon removal from the plan a 70% credit will be applied to all coverage on your policy with exception of Comprehensive and Towing Coverage. This credit will cover the timeframe your vehicle(s) was enrolled in the storage plan.
The credit applied to your policy cannot reduce your total policy premium below the minimum premium for your state.
Your credit will be calculated upon removal of the plan. The credit will be applied to any outstanding policy balance first, and then a check will be issued for any remaining credit.
Enrollment in the plan is available from October 1st until January 15th.
The plan ends on April 1st. We will automatically remove your policy from the plan effective that date. If you would like to be removed prior to April 1st you have the option to do so.
During the time you are enrolled in the plan you are allowed minimal usage on the vehicle(s) in order to maintain good running condition.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is this "winter" thing you speak of? :biggrinjester:

Edit: are you referring to the need to wear a long-sleeve shirt instead of a short-sleeve shirt under my jacket? :hurray:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winter

I'm not sure what I'm referring to....Missouri is confused.
Winter tornado's on New Years Eve, even more violent tornadoes when spring did arrive, (remember Joplin Mo.).
Mid-summer was a scorcher, end of summer was cold, fall has been up and down and right now we are up with a high of 86 today even though we saw frost on Monday morning.
Normal highs right now should be upper 70's.
Normally when Missouri's weather gets confused like that we usually have a brutal winter.....but I won't put any money on that!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, I went with the second option with Geico. I had a nasty reminder from the heavens that I'm not supposed to ride without insurance in the form of a two day shift from 80 degrees to three inches of snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Insurance companies also look at things like your credit score and how well you pay your bills when issuing you a average motorcycle insurance rates
policy. If you pay your bills on time, most often, they will offer you a discount. The thinking that if you pay your bills on time, you are most likely a responsible person.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I recently switched from State Farm to Progressive and saved a bundle. I also checked GEICO. GEICO offers a winter storage policy, Progressive does not( the agent said their rates take into account less riding in winter). Even with the winter storage rate from GEICO, the premium from Progressive was cheaper.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My motorcycle insurance is cheap enough that this is one of the least of my problems.
I'm far more concerned about how to put the bike away in the shed without smashing the crap out of it or letting the mice into the airbox and wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I recently switched from State Farm to Progressive and saved a bundle. I also checked GEICO. GEICO offers a winter storage policy, Progressive does not( the agent said their rates take into account less riding in winter). Even with the winter storage rate from GEICO, the premium from Progressive was cheaper.
This is true. My fiance is an insurance agent, and the insurances that her company offers (she works at a broker and they have different carriers of personal insurance) all take into account that a motorcycle is ridden less in the winter and therefore don't have a winter storage policy option.

Now this could be another insurance scam deal, but honestly, I pay so little for full coverage on my bike it doesn't matter to me.

I am attempting to ride virtually year round this year, so far so good with only getting torrential down poured on twice now. :punk:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts