StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I ran my 650 down to 25KM left of range yesterday and filled up with Shell 91. My gas was old as I haven't been riding much this fall and noticed that it had more oomph on the 91. Hopefully I'll still get an outing or two between now and slush season. The insurance and license are good all year, so who know, maybe I'll try what V-Tom does

Reactions: JBNY

·
Registered
2019 DL1000A
20 Posts
I did the same thing today, trying to avoid salty roads. I added some Evinrude 2 + 4 conditioner.
We dumped a lot of salt on the roads (my job) a few days ago, and much of it remains. To make matters worse, our Regional roads were all brined today.
91 octane at Crappy Tire does not contain ethanol; some others do, such as Ultramar. They recently decided to put ethanol in ALL their gasolines. I used to get my ethanol free gas there, but that's no longer possible.
I will never buy their gas again. Read the little stickers on the pump.
I washed salty dust off my wheels. I think next ride will be in Spring.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I did the same thing today, trying to avoid salty roads. I added some Evinrude 2 + 4 conditioner.
We dumped a lot of salt on the roads (my job) a few days ago, and much of it remains. To make matters worse, our Regional roads were all brined today.
91 octane at Crappy Tire does not contain ethanol; some others do, such as Ultramar. They recently decided to put ethanol in ALL their gasolines. I used to get my ethanol free gas there, but that's no longer possible.
I will never buy their gas again. Read the little stickers on the pump.
I washed salty dust off my wheels. I think next ride will be in Spring.
shell premium is ethanol free too. (ontario)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I always run with high octane ethanol free gas, and find the bike gets way better gas mileage and runs a lot better. The cost difference is not that much per fill up, maybe an extra 5 bucks. You certainly want to fill with that when you put it away for Winter.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I'd think there is some tuning left on the table for the 650 if one was to always run high octane gas.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
The 650 will run on ANY gas. It really doesn't care in my experience. It revs like a mad bitch all day on anything.

That being said, I only put 91 octane ethanol free gas anytime an engine is going to sit. All 91 octane gas in my area (Ottawa) is ethanol free. I add stabil, and a dose of MMO, cover it, and forget about it for months. I have 2-3 year old gas in my generators with that routine, and they fire right up. I do add another dose of stabil every 6 months, since it's a consumable.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts