StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm about to put the VStrom 650 to bed for the winter. This is the first hibernation for my bike.

Around here, as in most parts of the USA, I guess, ethanol is now a normal part of the gasoline blend. But at some stations I can buy non-ethanol gas, but it's normally high octane stuff, with high prices to boot.

Yeah, the owner's manual says, and in normal practice I do run only 87 octane gas. The only non-ethanol gas near me is 91 octane, so a fill of 91 octane "clear" gas and a dose of Seafoam fuel treatment is what I was planning to do. Am I okay doing this? I didn't want the alcohol in the tank all winter, attracting moisture and possibly causing other alcohol vs. metal/rubber problems.

Does anyone out there is VStromville normally run high octane gas for normal operation? Other than (apparently) needlessly spending extra money, what is your experience with it? Positives/negatives?

Thanks for your input,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Since I moved out to AZ I don't really put my bike up for the winter per se.

However back in Chicagoland it was quite necessary. I just put some Sta-Bil in the tank and then make sure to fill it up with gas. All the gas I could get had some alcohol content so I didn't think that deeply into it.

And I always use 87 octane, just don't have any extra budget for premium.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go to Walmart and buy some 'fuel stabilizer' in the automotive dept. They sell several brands. 'Sta-bil' and 'STP' are just two of many brands of fuel stabilizer that are available.

They are all the same, and all will solve your fuel storage woes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
high octane gas wont hurt a motor at all, well atleast with a gasoline motor a diesel might not like it

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is my first winter with my VStrom too, but I'll just do my normal routine with Stabil. I put it in my other bike, and my fourwheeler, then fill it up with gas. I let the engine run a little bit to make sure the Stabil works its way through the fuel system. I've never had any problems.

·
Registered
852 Posts
One of the advantages of using high octane fuel, along with fuel stabilizer, when you store your bike, is that fuel actually loses octane the longer you leave it.

The fuel you started out with at the beginning of the winter, will not have as high an octane rating by the time spring rolls around.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Winter storage

I have only run High octane in my K5 Wee even though the $ is higher.Always have stored it with a full tank and the proper amount of Sta-bil. Even after four months of great Canadian winter starts up perfectly in the spring.Always take the battery out and trickle charged over winter.Ride on Brother:lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All,

Looks like I'll do as I planned, the 91 octane non-ethanol gas with the Seafoam fuel treatment/stabilizer.

Steve.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just flippin ya sh!t Steve. Haven't ridden the bike to work the last two nites due to frozen/frosty roads. 15 miles of my 26 mile one way commute consists of roads that never see daylight so those 15 miles of roads never really thaw out until we have a few days of warm temps (over 32) without a lot of moisture in the air. But rest assured....I will ride during winter months:mrgreen:
I am jealous!

I haven't ridden in a couple days, just because of life interfering... but we woke up here yesterday with what can't even be called a dusting of snow. I mean, it was nothing, less than nothing, not even worth talking about. Yet several street departments, and even some highway crews, were dropping salt on the road already! Cripes!! That pretty much does me in for the winter. I won't ride with salt on the road, too many places for it to hide on a bike and never get cleaned out, and I don't want it rotting out on me.

And I was hoping to log a couple miles in December if the snow was going to be late. Oh, well. Only 4 months or so, less if spring comes early and the rains wash the salt away.

Safe travels this winter!

Steve.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello All,

I'm about to put the VStrom 650 to bed for the winter. This is the first hibernation for my bike.

Around here, as in most parts of the USA, I guess, ethanol is now a normal part of the gasoline blend. But at some stations I can buy non-ethanol gas, but it's normally high octane stuff, with high prices to boot.

Yeah, the owner's manual says, and in normal practice I do run only 87 octane gas. The only non-ethanol gas near me is 91 octane, so a fill of 91 octane "clear" gas and a dose of Seafoam fuel treatment is what I was planning to do. Am I okay doing this? I didn't want the alcohol in the tank all winter, attracting moisture and possibly causing other alcohol vs. metal/rubber problems.

Does anyone out there is VStromville normally run high octane gas for normal operation? Other than (apparently) needlessly spending extra money, what is your experience with it? Positives/negatives?

Thanks for your input,
Steve.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
There are no benefits in running a higher octane than the/any motor needs.

Higher octane fuel is commonly thought to be a "better" quality fuel but that is not the case. It is simply more resistant to ignition than lower grades.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts

Higher octane fuel is commonly thought to be a "better" quality fuel but that is not the case. It is simply more resistant to ignition than lower grades.
There is an advantage to storing higher octane than you need though. You get a certain amount of octane degradation over time - not to mention the typically better additive package that premium fuel gets.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I always use 87 octane, just don't have any extra budget for premium.
you don't have a couple extra bucks to fill your tank with ethanol free fuel before storing it through the winter to prevent gumming up your fuel injectors / system?

i wonder what a pair of injectors go for?

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
Ethanol free gas however regardless of octane is for sure better to use. :)
Meh - everything I store has E10 in it from the chainsaws to the boats and bikes. Around 100 gallons each 6 month season sitting in storage in something. I do tend to run premium in almost everything due to the fact that they all sit around longer than our daily driver cars. The boat, my wifes convertible and one of my bikes require it. The mid and premium E10 locally has the "Top tier" additive package. I never have any fuel issues so I stick with paying the extra pennies a gallon.

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
Too many Valkyrie carbs " 6 to be exact" getting gummed up from ole E10 sitting for too long without some magic elixir added.....but pure gasoline I'd imagine being used should put things in your favor. My Tracer GT runs on 91 minimum, but like the 1050 owners here who've run less octane in a pinch, can't imagine any damage being done unless over the long haul.

·
Registered
153 Posts

You would mean detonation?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Detonation in a ICE is "preignition" as in ignites before you want it to. The fuel has to "ignite" at some point during the compression stroke or its a misfire.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Detonation in a ICE is "preignition" as in ignites before you want it to. The fuel has to "ignite" at some point during the compression stroke or its a misfire.
"OCTANE" is resistance to detonation, ie higher compression. "pre-ignition" does occur without high compression. C'mon, Man! Read the book.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts