Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter in Wisconsin is insane. November was cold and crappy. I think I logged 200 miles. Snow, cold and streets covered with salt. December, temps hit 50F this week, 42 today but its raining. I guess its going to be a brown Christmas. That's ok, when it stops raining I'm going to take a ride!!!
Happy Holidays

·
Registered
544 Posts
I hear you. I'm in America's Dairyland too. I can't decide if the bike is put up for winter or not. The temps have been OK for the last week or so, but I hate the idea of getting a bunch of salt on the bike and then storing it in the garage. I already have a rusty trailer as a cautionary tale.

I always like to get at least 1 ride in December, then have the winter maintenance done and the bike ready for the first warm, salt-free day in March. That way I can fool myself into believing we only have 2 months of winter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I was out splitting wood and could hear the distant sounds of motorcycles running up and down the peninsula. :headbang:

November was wet, cold, and sloppy. I figured the season was done and rode my bike thru the snow and into my walkout. I put an old blanket on the carpet just inside the door next to our pool table and it's been there next to the for a few weeks. I just rolled it into a storage room this morning to get it out of the way. (my son is home for the holiday break and will probably have friends over)

I was sort of tempted to put away the axe and chainsaw, and run down and get it out again, but it's turning back to (pre) winter again tomorrow. :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
16,723 Posts
Love Wisconsin any season other than Winter, as it simply sucks IMHO beyond words.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have thought that I should get a winter bike, something that I do not care about the effects of the salt. I have not done anything about that thought however.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Yah, but this is the solstice and in a bit the days will have a minute or so more light each day.
Then again I read that the polar vortex is gonna kick the northern latitudes butt with the cold nasty this winter.
You have my sympathies from the land of potential earthquakes but benign weather.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
My mother/brother live in Wisconsin. I am not a fan of the lyme ticks, no see ums, and the mosquitoes up there as well. The mosquito is the state bird. >:) We went up boating/fishing, camping. and motorcycling the trails around Turtle Flowage a few years back. It reminded me of bear hunting in Ontario. Mesh head covers and gloves were a requirement along with about 40% Deet bear hunting. The Deet was necessary at all times in Wisconsin. They swarm in open fields there. I have never seen them so heavy.

Winter is about the only fun IMO in Wisconsin. We had two Polaris snowmobiles growing up outside of Chicago and frequented the Rhinelander area in the winter (Pub/restaurant to pub/restaurant)

Strangely, where I live mosquitos are fairly thin in numbers. I rarely see them in the yard even though we are in the woods. We have ticks but little Lyme disease. We do have a few poisonous snakes crawling around (I think there are five varieties). :surprise: There are few problems from them.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have thought that I should get a winter bike, something that I do not care about the effects of the salt. I have not done anything about that thought however.
A buddy of mine has ridden every day a minimum of 10 continuous miles since February 21, 2000 or 6,878 days in a row. This is in Pennsylvania so we see our share crappy weather and of course salt, calcium chloride or whatever other road treatment they use. My buddy buys Lifan's for snow bikes as they are disposable. After a year or 2 they look like they were plucked from the ocean.

As of 12/18/19 my buddy pasted 60,000 miles for 2018.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tickets are booked... We're headed to our place in Mexico on Jan 10th to escape the Michigan cold...

But...

2 nights ago the low was 28. And no central heat so that makes for a cold night. Winter there (central Mexico) has been unusually cold this year.

So I don't know how much escaping we'll be doing?

But then it also gets up to 70 degrees in the afternoon and spring comes early, so that's all good. Usually by February 15th winter is pretty much over.

Vinnie

Funny, I had heard it's supposed to be a record mild temps/light precip winter this year. We'll see. It's gonna be what it's gonna be.
Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
How is the safety in central Mexico these days? We used to go to the Yucatan but it is deteriorating as the cartels move into the tourist areas. Cozumel still seems ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts