StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride pretty much all year. I'm in a somewhat moderate climate ( Virginia Mountains). I'm wondering what other people's feelings are about normal cars using motorcycle parking as their own reserved spot once temps dip into the 40s and the vast majority of bikers quit riding. I have a few passive aggressive ideas but didn't know if anyone here had and great wisdom or lessons learned from such and experience.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Chain your bike to the offending vehiclehttps://www.stromtrooper.com/images/StromTroo

Kidding aside, it's kind of a grey area. Most all MC-only parking I've run across are in private lots. I guess I would complain to the owner/operator/security of the MC parking area. I know the feeling. Most MC parking is closer/closest to an entrance or security kiosk, and there is a two-tracker taking up three or more bike spaces; the same people that park a crew cab pickup in a "Compacts Only" spot making it sometimes dicey to maneuver around. AFIK, there are no laws with a non-compliance fine like there is for handicap parking.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I guess its no different when I park in a regular parking space. Johnny automobile driver is perusing the packed parking lot then see an avalaible space up ahead, guns it to beat the next guy, starts to make the turn and then see's a motorcycle parked in a full sized stall talking the entire space but only using a fraction of it.

It just part of the driving expierence. Motorcycle only is nice but there is no recourse unless the owner of the asphalt will go to bat for you.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
My workplace has one MC only parking place in the lot. Cars don't usually park there unless we have a rare snowfall. We're 40 and rain today, and there was a bike parked there.... not mine...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I guess I have never seen motorcycle only parking. I just park in a normal spot, sometimes the ones labeled compact only.
Go to the NHRA National on Bristol TN, Not only do they wave you around all the cars in line you go to the parking right at the main gate and parking is free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We have 12 or so designated MC spots, usually 4 used in riding weather. Parking lot snow gets piled up there in winter. I never see cars parked in the MC spots.

·
Registered
22,255 Posts
One of the nearby park n rides has a motorcycle parking area, it is barricaded in a way to prevent cars, and has a concrete surface rather that sidestand sinking asphalt, but it is not plowed in winter

other places I have seen that provide a small space exclusively for motorcycles is only because of an odd dimension area not big enough for a car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have signed motorcycle parking. It's not even striped in a way you could confuse it as a car spot, just signed along the side of a grassy hill. I was considering parking in a way to trap someone in motorcycle parking and locking my bars so you couldn't walk my bike out of the way. But damn you guys are so nice and docile I'm considering not doing it. But it would be fun......

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have a few designated motorcycle spots at work. There's really no point in it as it's a large lot that's never full. There are no hard and fast rules: it's just generally acknowledged that when it gets cold and motorcycles stop showing up on a regular basis it's considered okay for people to park their cars there. I do. If I get a Winter day where I can ride to work, I don't care if the motorcycle spots are full of cars. Once a motorcycle or two starts showing up on a regular basis, people in cars will avoid the motorcycle spots.

We also have several riders who never use the motorcycle spots at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Our MC parking has 4' steel and concrete posts keeping cars at bay...two riders here (about 1000 employees) always head to a car spot and never park in the MC area.
My $.02? Cars should not take MC spots. It's one my few perks as a MC rider.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use several different public parking lots/structures throughout the work week. Most have MC parking spaces, and those that do would definitely cite a car that elected to park in them. I once parked my MC angled across two spaces in one of the lots and was cited for not staying between the lines.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Motorcycle parking exists because it makes more space for cages. Just park in a full sized space and watch cagers flip out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
303 Posts
I ride pretty much all year. I'm in a somewhat moderate climate ( Virginia Mountains). I'm wondering what other people's feelings are about normal cars using motorcycle parking as their own reserved spot once temps dip into the 40s and the vast majority of bikers quit riding.
I park mine in Tucson AZ during the Winter..works for me :p;)

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
What are the feelings about people who park their motorcycles on the sidewalk in front of stores, limiting or blocking pedestrian access? Rudeness works both ways.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the feelings about people who park their motorcycles on the sidewalk in front of stores, limiting or blocking pedestrian access? Rudeness works both ways.
I can't stand that either. First of all riding your motorcycle on a sidewalk looks utterly ridiculous. Secondly it's a sidewalk. For walking, wheel chairs etc. I only park in motorcycle parking or car spots. No stripped of areas or anything else. I try not to exploit the I ride a motorcycle so I can make my own rules mentality some people have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
With the exception of the Cycle Gear parking lot...I don’t think I’ve ever seen dedicated motorcycle parking in my area.

Agreed. I only park in marked/legit parking spots. I’m not trying to give someone an excuse to push my motorcycle over. I really would not put it past someone to do that in my area in the scenario that you described. That and as you said...sidewalks are for pedestrians...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts