StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I'm sure this has come up before, but just filled up, and am averaging 44.35 miles a gallon. This is my commuter miles, back and force to work 26 miles round trip, 1/3 highway rest streets with traffic lights. I'm thinking this is not bad but not great either, what say the more experiened Wee'ers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yea... this is a popular topic for sure but for what ever it's worth, in the winter, I am getting mid 50's. My commuting is on the freeway and I am sitting a 5k rpm for 40 minutes. In the summer I am getting 65mpg. I drive like my grandpa though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It definitely make a difference. Riding in November I ran out of fuel at 478 km / 297 miles. I have always made 500 km / 311 miles in the warmer weather with same sort of riding and still had 2 or 3 liters left. FWIW. Brian

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Just curious. I'm sure this has come up before, but just filled up, and am averaging 44.35 miles a gallon. This is my commuter miles, back and force to work 26 miles round trip, 1/3 highway rest streets with traffic lights. I'm thinking this is not bad but not great either, what say the more experiened Wee'ers.
Do you have saddlebags? My wee gets 50+ mpg without my bags on and about the same as you if I am running with them on.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Winter gasoline is more volatile than summer gasoline, so it fires more easily and also can contain some cheaper ingredients such as butane (but we don't see any $avings). These volatile ingredients have less energy per unit, so we get lower gas mileage. In addition, there are many small factors that add up. Cold air is denser, so it takes more power to push through it. Cold grease in the bearings and cool oil in the engine consume more power.

Summer gasoline needs to be less volatile to reduce air pollution and to reduce the chance of vapor lock in the engine.

Winter blend gasoline rolling out, drops in MPG possible - Gasbuddy Gas Prices
The Oil Drum | Refining 101: Winter Gasoline

·
Registered
223 Posts
It seems like the temp makes a bigger difference for me. I can get great milage when it's warmer out vs is being in the minus. I never knew that it could effect it so much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rolling resistance of the tires makes a big impact as well... cold tires don't flatten out as easily on the road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts