StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last week tv-news said, recent spike in gas prices is due to oil refineries shutting down to change over to winter blend fuel. and that the winter blend fuel is cheaper to manufacture. i believe it because, iv'e noticed a drop in avg. mpg on my DL1. see fuelly link.

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
Your obsession with gasoline and fuel mileage is a bit creepy, missed seeing you at the rally yet again this year.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your obsession with gasoline and fuel mileage is a bit creepy, missed seeing you at the rally yet again this year.
you know how it is, if ya ride, ya got to buy gasoline. just the way it is. they kind-a go together.:mrgreen: as far as the rally was concerned, sorry but i forgot all about it. we dont have to ride only once a year. anytime ok with me. the next 6 weeks i'll be riding much in southeastern ohio. checking out the fall colors. feel free to contact me on or off line.

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas prices fall as refineries switch to winter blends (9/14)

its that time of year again. gas prices fall as refineries switch to winter blends. and so does my mpg fall. oh well, stuff happens.

------------------------------------------
V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000) | Fuelly

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
"The difference between summer- and winter-blend gasoline involves the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) of the fuel. RVP is a measure of how easily the fuel evaporates at a given temperature. The more volatile a gasoline (higher RVP), the easier it evaporates.

"Winter-blend fuel has a higher RVP because the fuel must be able to evaporate at low temperatures for the engine to operate properly, especially when the engine is cold. If the RVP is too low on a frigid day, the vehicle will be hard to start and once started, will run rough.

"Summer-blend gasoline has a lower RVP to prevent excessive evaporation when outside temperatures rise. Reducing the volatility of summer gas decreases emissions that can contribute to unhealthy ozone and smog levels. A lower RVP also helps prevent drivability problems such as vapor lock on hot days, especially in older vehicles.

"The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says conventional summer-blend gasoline contains 1.7 percent more energy than winter-blend gas, which is one reason why gas mileage is slightly better in the summer. However, the summer-blend is also more expensive to produce, and that cost is passed on to the motorist."

What is the Difference between Summer- and Winter-Blend Gasoline? | AAA NewsRoom

·
Administrator
13,502 Posts
Speed and temperature are the biggest influences on fuel mileage. No other things that we would normally do really makes any difference that riders can track on the real world. In tracking my mileage over two DL650's with over 300,000 km/ roughly 200,000 miles I have never been able to see any real world difference in mileage that can be attributed to winter gas or to different fuel octane. You can't see a couple of percent difference in mileage when tanks often vary 5% or more tank to tank.

Below is a graph showing my mileage on my 2012 over the last 70,000+ miles. The graph looks very similar to my 2006 showing mileage dropping as it gets colder and coming back up when warmer. This summer was quite a bit colder than average so mileage is down. The bad mileage spikes are times where the riding was mainly at higher speeds (think interstate type riding) and the good spikes tend to be easy day rides on back roads. The yellow line shows the last 5 day average. The mileage is imperial mpg, US mpg would, be about 80% less. I never get the same kind of mileage that most rides here seem to get.

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,009 Posts
Never realized how much of a hobby it seems for some, when it comes to seeing how good of gas mileage they can try to get or achieve. I buy and own motorcycles for the fun factor, so for me good mileage is a plus if it happens.

·
Administrator
13,502 Posts
Never realized how much of a hobby it seems for some, when it comes to seeing how good of gas mileage they can try to get or achieve. I buy and own motorcycles for the fun factor, so for me good mileage is a plus if it happens.
It's a hobby for me to record and look at the data and figure things out. It isn't a hobby of mine to go out of my way to save gas on the bike. At the same time I don't like wasting it either so you won't see me riding along at 40 mph in 2nd gear reving the heck out of it when I don't need the power; but you will see me drop it from 6th to 3rd (and occasionally 2nd) when passing slow cars on secondary roads.

I get worse mileage than what just about anyone says they get on their DL650's. Many here say they normally get 60 or even 70 mpg US on their DL650's but over 70,000+ miles I have averaged 49.6 MPG US on my 2012 DL650. (And that's an improvement over my 2006.)

..Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts