StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened again. Yep, winter...well almost. I look at threads on this and other sites and read posts from last April or so about all the rides, weekenders and amazing adventures planned for the upcoming season. Now, with winter just around the corner I wonder how many of those plans actually came to pass. I know I had some plans that ended up (as Archie Bunker would say) right in the DUMPER!!! With the purchase of a brand-used '05 XR650L (for those trips which might be a little too adventurous for the Wee) I had plans to ride a portion of the TAT, accompany a friend on his first Iron Butt SS1000 attempt, ride the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, do some real back-woods motorcycle camping and a few others. Unfortunately, most of these...Right in the Dumper!!! Things just kept getting in the way. Work at my job and at home, family things, but the real killer...my riding buddy has fallen in LOVE!!! OMG!!! He went from adventurous rides and camping trips to movies and the ballet...that's right, the damn ballet. I enjoy the time I spend with my wife, but give it a break!!! I did manage to go on a few weekenders solo but, as bad as I hate to admit it, it's not as much fun solo. Kinda boring.
So this fall, same as last fall, I wonder what happened to summer. It slipped right out from under me. And once again I tell myself I'll make plans and stick to them NO MATTER WHAT!!! And again, life (and friend's girlfriends) will get in the way.
So, on a scale of 1-10 how did your season turn out? Did you do all or some of the things you set out to do? What plans are in store for next year?
As for me, I'm gonna ride that damn bridge/tunnel IF IT KILLS ME!!!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Winter? Oh yeah, that's when it snows way up in the mountains near here. :mrgreen:

My summer was good. Working way too much, but managed to take a ride up to Glacier and Yellowstone for a week.

·
Registered
279 Posts
An almost perfect 10!!!!!!!!!!
Stuck to my plan, Rode from Wisconsin to No. Calif. Visited friends drank a lot of good wine, rode through 11 states, took in some amazing scenery, met some cool people and riders, camped at altitude, Scared the shit out of myself on some god awful boulder strewn goat trail leading in to hells canyon, saw plenty of wildlife and all in all had great ride. Except for frying the stator in the last 500 miles. But even that was an adventure
Just in the process of putting bike away for the winter and it is killing me. I will start planning another month long adventure right after the 1st of the year.
Don't make excuses.............Get out there and do it. Life is short, enjoy:thumbup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
My summer was a solid 7. I bought my 2012 650 Adventure kind of late in the year when my trips were all done by my BMW F800st. I did a few single day rides and lots of riding back and forth to work on the 650 V-Strom which will continue when new riding season starts up again. Next year however I'm hoping that my vacation get approved for 3 weeks off in early July so I can do an Alaskan motorcycle trip. If that happens we're looking at an easy 9 for next year.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm thinking the same thing, were did the summer go? I want to ride every day, but in the 30's for a 45 minute commute in am 49-50 on evening ride home is to cold without heated gear. Got my k8 wee in early June, spent most of bike budget after that for the year in OEM hardbags, so no heated gear for a bit... But as soon as I get them I will test them out, riding to work whenever it's not snowing and the roads are clear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
859 Posts
9/10 for the summer. Put off projects that needed to be done and chose to piss off most of the summer. Rode my bike most days. Went out to Utah/Moab on a mountain bike trip. Camped in the Black hills with my wife. Started wake boarding (already could ski and surf). Took a month off this summer and stayed at the lake, awesome. A few plans fell through, two riding trips, one up to the U.P. camping, another out west, currently missing fishing trip to Mt. Almost done riding for the season, still have mud/dirt on my bike from my last ride. Planning on a spring trip out west (perhaps NM or AZ) trailering out with two other riding buddies, hopefully April. Ride around Lake Superior finally next summer.

·
Registered
690 Posts
10/10 for me. Two longer trips were planned and went smoothly. A trip through finger lakes to lake placid, ottawa and return and another through the Appalacian mountains and down to key West and back. Had some nice shorter south ontario rides with wife and some friends as well. Planning on james bay Road next summer and possibly either a bike tour of Greece or iceland later in the summer combined with some other travels.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Great summer up here, and even went up to 95 degrees one day! Lots of great riding, including a trip down the Alaska Hwy and Cassiar Hwy. Got up this morning and it was 16 degrees out, then it warmed up, clouded over and started to snow for real. Interesting road conditions out there. First snow of the year. I believe it's time to trade the 2 wheels for 4 until next Spring.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
10 for 10
#1; One week for navigate around WY. Yellow Stone, Dead Indian, Bear Tooth, Devils Tower, Black Hills, And around back home with 8 friends. Only two days in a hotel.
#2; one week to ride 450 miles in one day of bent roads, one day of dirt roads on the Burr Trail, Two days on the North Rim and a few days back. All camping nights.
#3; Rode 300 miles of dirt roads this year.:yesnod:
#4; Rode in the mud took two hours to get out. Fun stuff.:yikes:
#5; Wore out two rear tires. I need a new set.:thumbdown:
And more to come until the snow Ices over!
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
been an awesome 9/10 season for me even though i havent fulfilled all the trips i wanted, so here's how it went for me:
-started the season march with my 2000 Honda CBR600F4 that i bought last year
-April 17th, i bought my 2004 V-Strom 650
-April 17th, fell in love with my V-Strom
-May 27th, had an accident with my V-Strom (an SUV crossed a stop-sign and hit me= minor cosmetic damage, her insurance paid for it)
-had to ride the CBR to work for 5 weeks, made me really appreciate and love the V-strom more and more
-August 24th, went on my first long trip on the bike (4000km = 2500 mile) to Boston, New York and Washington, DC
-Sept 11th, bought a 1980 Honda GoldWing GL1100, had it for about a month then sold it
-Sept 23rd, sold my 2000 CBR600F4 for a good price
-Sept 27th, bought a 2006 CBR600RR on a really good deal, feels lighter and more responsive than the older CBR, but still love the V-Strom more :D

Conclusion: V-Strom is best bike i had and best bike i ever tried (rode about 15 bikes, everything from scooters, naked, supersport, dualsport, adventure, cruisers, touring, sport-touring, classic cafe, ...)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Move to Texas

I would absolutely HATE to have to put my bike away for the winter months.

Around here in South Texas, the winter months are when I do most of my riding. Sure, it's a little chilly first off in the morning, 30's maybe, but by afternoon it's back into the 50's and 60's typically.

Just got back from a week camping off the bike down in the Big Bend area of Texas and the weather was perfect.

The summers here are when I limit my riding to the morning hours as it's just no fun ATGATT when it's 100 degrees.......

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
My summer was a 8.8.....(there is no such thing as perfection)

Got my annual ride to Western NY state in. Saw a Bison's game with my dad(93) and oldest sister and her partner. The game sucked, and the fireworks got rained out!!

I did manage a couple of overnights. Didn't get to camp as much as I have in summers prior. I got my annual fall trip to Gettysburg PA in also. This year my best buddy Jeff (SoPaRider) met me in the Catskills, and we rode together to PA. Fun watching his tail-light!!

Rode just last weekend to Conway NH. Got to Whitehorse Gear and back home with out any trouble.

The Wee is put to bed.....and the Super Sherpa is ready to ride, if we get some good weather.

All in all....FUN as always

Perry

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My summer was a 8.8.....(there is no such thing as perfection)

Got my annual ride to Western NY state in. Saw a Bison's game with my dad(93) and oldest sister and her partner. The game sucked, and the fireworks got rained out!!

I did manage a couple of overnights. Didn't get to camp as much as I have in summers prior. I got my annual fall trip to Gettysburg PA in also. This year my best buddy Jeff (SoPaRider) met me in the Catskills, and we rode together to PA. Fun watching his tail-light!!

Rode just last weekend to Conway NH. Got to Whitehorse Gear and back home with out any trouble.

The Wee is put to bed.....and the Super Sherpa is ready to ride, if we get some good weather.

All in all....FUN as always

Perry
Super Sherpa!?!?! I loved my Sherpa. I let it go in a trade for my XR650L. I love the XR, but my little Sherpa sure was a lot of fun. That thing would climb a tree!!! It never gave me a minutes trouble, just push the magic button and ride away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sold my R1 2 months ago and picked up the Vee 2 weeks ago... Hating the fact that I *might* get another ride or 2 in before the snow flies, then she goes to sleep for 3-4 LONG months..

But overall decent summer, albeit on the R1 mostly, several 600km day trips.

·
Administrator
13,502 Posts
Riding every day mainly commuting to work. It's only 80km/50 miles each way. Watching for lake effect snow.

Dreading having to send my Roadcrafter in for some cleanup and repairs in December or January as I know I will be riding a bit pretty much every month.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 30 Posts