StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone has tried both. I've tried the Manta and loved it-Is the California Scientific better?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I've got the manta and while it does work very well for me, with or without the madstad bracket, if I were buying one now it would be the CalSci...the manta is so damned ugly it even stands out on a Strom.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
If you mean "better" in that it cuts more wind, then the Manta is definitely better. If you mean, looks better, then the CalSci is better. Like AppGap said, the Manta is butt ugly. However, it does work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
If you mean "better" in that it cuts more wind, then the Manta is definitely better. //
As the CalSci is available in four sizes, not sure this is really true.

I have an XTall and just traded a Givi for a Tall CalSci, so I could get more airflow onto my helmet and jacket for warm weather. I am 6'1, long torso. The Tall is just about perfect for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Cal Sci

I agree with Garandman. The Cal sci is to tall for summer. Should have ordered one size shorter. I don't know yet what I'll go with next time.

Pete in San Ramon.:weapons_90:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Primarily I interested in which is better protection for winter rains and cold wind without affected gas mileage too much. My '04 DL650 had a Manta and at the lowest setting worked very well and I still averaged 48mpg. I believe increased airflow for summer can be addressed with the Madstad, or taking the screen off altogether. I have no experience with the CalSci but it looks like a very good product.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Will the duct in the CalSci allow rain to get blown in to the rider?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Screen

I replaced my stock screen with an MP Cycle Design screen from Paul Sass in San Diego. I went with a 20" Grand Touring on a madstad bracket. I had planned to use the stock screen around town and the new one for longer rides, but the GT is so versatile I neve take it off these days. From long distance in heavy weather two-up, to solo Sunday sunny-weather noodling up the coast, just tweak the bracket for speed and conditions, and you're sorted. Very impressed, and the service was more than prompt and courteous, including Paul arranging some tricky shipping to South Africa.
With the bracket (a must) and this screen the bike is a dream. It looks great too! Can post a pic ...
Rich Hall
Durban
South Africa

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Will the duct in the CalSci allow rain to get blown in to the rider?
No. Some rain drips in onto the cowling but that's about it. Most of that air goes up the back of the screen, to relieve the low pressure area behind the screen - which is part of what creates turbulence.

But as an experiment today I taped over the NACA duct, and with the extra spacing of the Madstad, didn't find much difference. He will make you one without the duct if you ask, but feels it is preferable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts