StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read everything all of you wrote about windshields and it helped as much as it got me confused. Didn't know what to do or buy. I finally decided to buy the Givi one. It's only 100$ CDN and I might experiment by
cutting part of it, like one of you did... Should get it next week. I'll write
about results.

St Germain :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I agree it did get a bit cornfusing. The opinions were very valuable, and were very different. I for one, don't mind the wind hitting my skid lid. It ads to the fun for me. I would like to try one of the larger shields on a distance run though.

I met a V-Strom owner this morning on my way to work and we talked a bit. He was on his way for a 10 day adventure on his 2003 yellow V-Strom that he recently purchased. He installed the Givi shield a few days ago, and didn't have much of an opinion yet. It will be interesting to see what he thinks after his tour.

I am going to hold off on getting a different shield because I am anxious to buy the Touratech hard cases, and they are pricey. If only I was rich....

Brendan

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
windshields

I couldn't stand the tall suzi shield untill I installed the Lip. Big improvement. Not perfect though. Head still gets knocked around a little by turbulence.

I think maybe a 4x8 sheet of plexiglas? :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many of us in the KLR world experimented with removing the stock shield, and riding without one at all. While this made the ride more enjoyable by eliminating buffeting, I didn't think it looked that great. And of course, we are all about looking great eh?

I installed the (now Kawasaki) larger shield, and I didn't care for it much. I guess what I am getting at is:

Has anyone removed their stock screen, and how did it fare compared to having the screen on?

Keep two wheeling,
Brendan

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
windshield

I am 6'8" tall and have added about 3" to the seat height. I ordered a cee bailey shield 12" taller than stock and 5" wider. I really like the less buffeting and bug protection. Any questions please ask. [email protected]

'

·
Registered
4 Posts
windscreens for Vstrom

I hear that the Cee Bailey windscreens are very good. A friend of mine just bought one and he said it is pretty good. I think I am going to get one shortly. Bill S., St. Louis, Mo. 8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
screens

:( well it seems I am just as confused as y'all. I only get the buffeting with a pillion on the back. over here in the UK we seem only to have the 20cm taller factory screen on offer and at £75's it's an expensive experiment. I'm open to suggestions......

On a brighter note I've just got a Baglux Bagster in matching yellow, should look great when it's fitted. will try and post piccys.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed the Givi windshield today... the only better thing is went you
bent down, there's a pocket free of noise and buffeting but standing
streat, it's worst than the stock... :(
I'm p..... and I don't have much time so I'm odering the lip and ears.
Check this out motorcycledaily.com may 14th 2003...

St Germain

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I installed the standard Cee Baileys and it was a definite improvement but still not right. The buffeting is still vision blurring. The buffeting has been so bad that after riding I am extremely tired and have head aches.

My next experiment has been to cut down the stock windscreen. WOW, what a difference. Other than added wind presssure to my shoulders, I enjoy riding again. I know there will be a lot of bugs but it will be worth it if my head doesn't pound after riding for a few hours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too installed the Cee-Bailey windscreen that is 22" tall. It made a huge difference in wind noise, I use to have to ride with ear plugs in. I do agree that the buffeting is still there, less severe but at a higher frequency to where it feels like a vibration to the head at times over 70-75 mph. I'm 5'11 and only have to tuck down about an inch to make it stop. I'm thinking that if I cut the seat down that much I might improve that but for now I'm just riding it the way it is.

Dave
'03 Yellow DL

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Laminar ears

I have bought the Tall Suzuki, and now I'm running the Cee-Bailey. Are there two Cee-Bailey designs for the 'Strom? Standard and Tall?

So far, I still feel buffetted with the Tall Suzuki and the Cee Bailey, though both eliminate the high frequency noise really well.

I just ordered the Laminar Lip and Ears, because, hey, I've already dropped so much into Windscreens, what is another $105?

Has anybody had experience with the Laminar Ears?

I'm thinking that I'll go back to the Tall Suzuki Windscreen and try these unsightly, but maybe pretty functional, little widgets and then see what happens.

I'm not after a noise/wind free experience. I just want to be able to crank all day without serious physiological weirdness.

Randy P
Boulder,CO
Blue #1021

·
Registered
8 Posts
update on CeeBailey

I tried a suggestion I saw posted here a while back to reduce buffeting from the fairiing; lower the bike in the front by loosening the triple clamps on the fork tubes and dropping the bike down 22 mm. I put about 200 miles on the bike yesterday and if anything the handleing seemed improved. The big difference was that the high frequency buffeting to the helmet seemed noticably decreased.
The change doesn't put your heads position any different relative to the windscreen than before but maybe because the windscreen angle to the relative wind makes a difference.

Dave

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the Laminar Lip and Ears at my door within 10 days! It took me
15 min. to install on my Givi tall windshield. So far it's perfect for me. I'm 5'11'' and when I standing straight, I get a bit of wind but not as noisy as
before and if I rest my arm on my tank bag it's almost noise free.

I'm counting days, leaving next Friday for a 3 week trip!

St Germain

P.S.: Canadians, be prepared to pay 63$ extra for costum charge when
you order the Lip. :x

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ermax windshields

I got an Ermax Windshield from Frog Specialties. Cost about $100 including shipping. http://www.ermax.fr/Sites_anglais/news/produitErmax/VSTORM/IMAGE_GRANDE/DSCN1099.jpg

It looks great. Easy to install. Cuts down on bugs and wind. Still a little buffetting, but I am 6'2". If I slouch a bit, I get no wind noise to speak of. Would work better if I was just a touch shorter. I am thinking of getting a corbin seat, and I understand it sets a bit lower, and that may be the perfect combination. I love the bike, and the Ermax screen makes it better. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
windshields

I've had the Cee Bailey on for a while and loved the reduced noise, still seems to be too buffety though. We've had a stretch of really hot weather in Seattle so I went back to the stock shield (I've dropped the front 22mm still). Guess what? I like the stock on better! I'm back to needing earplugs on the freeway but my head is in cleaner air.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I presently have a ZX-12R w/ZG DblBbl and a stock-screened KLR650..and soon, I hope, a VStrom or SV1000 or SV1000-S...these Suzuki V-twins really intrigue me (Aprilia Caponords and Falcos, too)...I guess I've been a 6'1" barndoor on any of my bikes that I've owned..part of the reason I ride is for the 'experience'...including the sounds and the wind buffeting...although very severe buffeting can get fatigue anyone in short time, a little buffeting never hurt anyone :wink: ...its all part of that 'motorcycling experience' and why most of us ride in the first place...if I want to coddled in quiet, I'd buy a 'Wing...or take the cage :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
...my advanced apologies for this tiny hi-jack: and why did you sell the ZX-12R? :shock:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.