StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I've had my '04 DL650 since the spring of '06 and have put on over 30K miles. I bought it used with a Windstrom screen on it. In March, I went over the handlebars and through the shield (I'm fine and the bike it on it's way to being back to new).

The question I have is do I go with another Windstrom or has something better come out in the last 5 years.

Before you ask, yes I have tried the search function, but was unable to find a recent thread that held much useful information for me.

It should go without saying, but I'm looking for wind protection w/o buffeting. I'm in Wisconsin, so cooler riding is the norm.

If it makes a difference, I'm running Aprilia Tuono mirrors on mirror extensions.

I'm 6'2" tall with normal proportions.

I'd like to avoid the Madstad if possible. Nothing against it, just don't really want the extra expense.

Is there a shield out there that is a bolt-on quick-fix?

I've heard good things about the V-Stream shield by National Cycle, but it looks terrible with the "Alien" design...that being said, I'm a function over form type of guy, so I could deal with it if it works well.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

-RW

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a windstrom shield that came with the bike when I bought it last year. The previous owner LOVED it. It's okay for me but I'm going to try something else...or just put the stock screen back on.

Its the regular height windstrom. No scratches, the bike has ~14.5k miles...so the shield has less than that. $100 plus shipping.

Let me know if this is of interest to you!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Cheap windscreen

I retrieved a piece of 1.5mm lexan for nix from a glazier/showerscreen manufacturers waste bin. Size approx 500x150mm (20x6in)
I installed it approx 100mm above oem screen with an overlap of about 50mm and extended it approx 80mm on either side. I curved the side extensions to a shape that I thought looked ok and that cleared the mirrors when turned on full lock.

I secured it with a small bolt/washers/nut on each side with a rubber grommet split in half; one half against each side against the lexan. I held the Lexan a little loose against the screen which allows the Lexan to tilt a little.

Works great--it really does and cost about $3 for a packet of 4 little neat bolts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spitfire77 - thanks for mentioning the buffeting and wind thread. You'd think that the thread would pop up when doing a search for "windshield" or "windscreen", but after going through the first 10 pages of results under each search I had not found it. I finally did a search using "buffeting" (which I had not thought of because I didn't have that issue with the WindStrom) and was able to find it. Lots of great info.

In the end, looks like I'll be going with the Madstad and the 22" shield.

Thanks for the help from all the replies.

RW

·
Registered
33 Posts
Madstad windshields

Anyone experience with Madstad windshields?
Was it good or ... ?
The Givi260 is popular in the Netherlands as well.
But no one has experience with the Madstad screens.
I have a Madstad bracket with a short MRA screen with flip-up.
And it does not help 100%.
I'd like the Madstad to be able to set higher, lower and more to the rear.
I am considering as sports screen, but also a taller one.
Hence my question about Madstad's windscreens.
Thanks.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
There is no consensus about the "best" windscreen. I like my CalSci. The Perfect Strom windscreen looks interesting, but I haven't been behind one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
madstad

I've got the Madstand screen and really like it. But this whole thread should be in the wind buffetting thread, about a zillion posts on the subject there.

Bill H.

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
Just get a sport type screen. You won't need the MadStad and cold weather riding isn't a problem. I'm in Northern Ontario and there isn't much colder riding then around here (about 34F am) and I have no issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
The prior owner of my bike put a Cee Bailey windscreen on it, and I have not had problems with buffeting, and am 6'3", can't speak to the Madstad or other options... also can't speak to what the stock 'shield is like either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts