StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I have always rode the DL-650 with the windscreen in the middle, factory spot. Yeah, there is wind noise and buffeting but It never bothered me so much I had to fix it immediatley.

Well today I was farting around and thought I would play with it..

So I took some of the wisdom from the site here and adjusted it.

1. I moved it up 1 notch to the TOP Factory Spot (I looked at going to the Super secret 4th or 5th spot... but I thought it looked weird)

2. I put 2 steel washers on each top bolt... On the Black H Bar under the screen. Probably totaled 1/8" thick (washers between the H and the Fairing)

3. I put 1 Black rubber washer on each top screw between the Windscreen and the the H-Bar. about 1/8" thick.

4. I packed the crevice in the middle with foam .. Like the post here called "Towel Test" calls for

rode it around ..! :p

WOW am I surprised... it is a very different feel and I like it.
No wind noise or buffeting from 0 to 60
above 60 you get some but it is much reduced

for 20 cents worth of parts I am real happy.

So by kicking the angle of the screen up it seems to send the blast up Higher over my head..

Before it seemed like the balst was always at about my eye brows.

now it just skims the top of my helmet..

It's not perect but it is musch closer...

For 20 cents you cant go wrong try it tell me what you think

Chris

I am 5' 10"
HJC CL 12 Helmet
with ear plugs

Gemini :wink:

·
Registered
232 Posts
I must try that, oddly I didnt think of packing out the top, I did pack out the bottom to give the screen a not so up and down angle which brings the top edge closer to me, didnt seem to help any,so now I should try the reverse, heres hopeing :wink:

V

·
0 Posts
I was coincidently doing a similar test today,
oddly with the opposite results.

I received my bike with the windscreen in the
middle position. It road OK, but some light
buffeting at speed.

I moved it up to the highest position.
Terrible. Buffeting/eye bluring at
65+.

Moved it all the way down.
Nice, very nice. Smooth. No more buffeting
and bluring even to 80+.

I'm 5'11" and use a Shoei RF1000 with foam
earplugs.

M

·
0 Posts
Chris said:
Hey gang,

Well today I was farting around and thought I would play with it..

So I took some of the wisdom from the site here and adjusted it.
So, what made the difference? The steel washers or the foam? Its not very scientific to change two things at the same time. You don't know which item made the improvement :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Chris said:
Hey gang,

1. I moved it up 1 notch to the TOP Factory Spot (I looked at going to the Super secret 4th or 5th spot... but I thought it looked weird)

2. I put 2 steel washers on each top bolt... On the Black H Bar under the screen. Probably totaled 1/8" thick (washers between the H and the Fairing)

3. I put 1 Black rubber washer on each top screw between the Windscreen and the the H-Bar. about 1/8" thick.

4. I packed the crevice in the middle with foam .. Like the post here called "Towel Test" calls for

Gemini :wink:

Chris

Being bored & snowbound I decided to try this mod. It is quick & can easily be reversed with no damage :D

I added 2 washers behind the top hole of the H (the H is in its top position). This brings the H a bit more vertical.

Packed under the cross of the H with foam

Added a rubber washer each side between the top hole in the screen & the top hole of the H. This brings the screen even more vertical.

I believe this is what you did.

Only have to wait another 6 weeks to try it out :x

·
Registered
312 Posts
great innovation.

did you say you put washers BEHIND the Yoke [between the slider/yoke and the whatever... frame of the fairing] and also between the screen and the slide? [the H i think everyone is calling it]

good show

Z

J

·
0 Posts
I solved my issues by outting the Windstrom in the middle and putting on CR Low motocross bars. Already had the screen and the bars were a little over $40. I'm happy :D

S

·
0 Posts
I have been riding my bike with the washers behind the h part (the top two bolts) for a while now and see no reason to change. Air skims the top of your helmet. Riding into a 25mph wind you are going to get buffeting at highway speeds but not as bad as before. On a day that is not windy it is great. I can definitely live with it now and it only cost about 30 cents.

I like the looks of the stock screen. I run mine in the top position with the washers.

M

·
0 Posts
New Windshield Solution - Suzuki OEM Tall Windshield for K5

New Windshield Solution - Suzuki OEM Tall Windshield for K4/K5.

Factory designed tall windshield adds to your comfort on the road. Measures 19" tall, 18 1/2" wide (3" taller and 2 1/2" wider than the original shield).

Part #: 94600-27820 MSRP $79.95 (US$)

Photo:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/cache/Accessory/detail/6f5800a6-78c9-4411-a1b4-cd79a12e2d12.jpg

Could someone outside the snow belt try this new shield and report back to us?

·
Registered
312 Posts
re: the tall.
The Givi is 22 tall, 19 wide, shaped the same, looks better, and costs the same. I can tell you it is no 'solution'. its some better, especially if you tilt it more straight up [reduce rake] but it is still a head basher for the most part. does a good job of keeping bugs off your torso....

There are supposed to be WS coming from Zero Gravity [they offer three shapes/sizes for the SV's] soon, and they are aggressively priced in general. Also supposed to be something from Rifle soon

Z

J

·
0 Posts
I just came in from a ride with my low bars and V strom in the middle. Coming home S on I25 I had a pretty strong tailwind, was running 90-95 indicated with almost no buffetting, only when I cross blast would hit me a bit. It was pretty sweet. Same ride today I did a couple of stream crossings, ah how versitile.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm surprised the lower bars don't hit the fuel tank when turned far right or left? Do you have the hand guards on? The hand guards are nice in the winter!

The stock DL650 bars do seem tall - - - I don not have them pulled back because I like to stretch out my arms.

I have some XR650L bars I can try.
Tom

·
Registered
312 Posts
for you guys that like to lean forward a tad, the Givi shield may work very well for you. I sit straight up and way back [carved my stock seat to go back an additional full inch to 1.3"... somehwere in that range] . When I lean in just a little its very quiet there. when I lean back and up its still pretty blustery. doesn't take much move at all to hit the sweet spot.
I only mention this because the Givi is such a bargain compared to the others.

Today, I did a variant on the 'towel test'. First I tried plugging the outer gaps but leaving the middle open as a 'vent'. Not too good. Then I reversed it, plugging the middle tightly, leaving the wings unfettered. That works pretty well.

I have the Givi on the very tiptop position [the top two holes of the Yoke are off the fairing altogether]. At almost 6'3" [34 inseam] I have the "bifocal" effect. if I straighten up I'm looking an inch or two over the top edge. if I slump or lean into the shield, I"m looking through it. This isn't so bad. if I get tired of the bluster I can just lean a while....

still hoping for a shield I can put on the bottom-most rung, but have the upper edge come up to about where this one is now. I calculate that to be at least 27" tall from point to point

Z

p.s my bars are the reverse of what you guys like. i put mine up on the 1.2" additional rise and that's just about right. could stand another half inch up but I have no discomfort here...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts