StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading MonkeyGrass' windshield thread I decided to cut my screen too.

I bought a Dremel, because everyone needs more tools, and went to work. Very simple. I removed 4" and actually got a nice curve in the process.

The wind blast is more pronouced but that's expected. The wind noise is there but the low pitched rumbling is gone. I went out for a ride without ear plugs and it was acceptable. With ear plugs it's better than stock or Givi.

Of course you solve one problem and another one crops up. I have a rattle/squeak in my helmet vent that I have to fix.

I think I'll order the Rifle screen anyway as the cutdown screen will be a summer screen. I'll get soaked in the winter.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
With all the ideas for windshield mods I decided to try one myself. Not my idea but some one here( couldn't find his post). Raised the stock windshield to top position and put spacers under the bottom attachment screws. I found some 9/16 inch metal spacers in my tool box and bought longer screws. After remounting the shield I stuffed pipe insulation under the bottom edge of the shield and some down inside from the back side of the shield. Hoping this would stop air flow. It doesn't look too pretty but this is only an experiment.
Even sitting higher on my gel seat and at hiway speeds the buffeting was reduced for me( your results may differ ) but I was travelling faster than my normal speed and was fairly impressed. At 70-75 MPH there was little buffeting and it was made more apparent because I more readily noticed the wind on my arms at speed. Will have to do more riding and try to pretty up the insulation thing. Work in progress. Thanks to the member who brought this up originally, we could be on to something by tipping the screen back.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
water warrior said:
With all the ideas for windshield mods I decided to try one myself. Not my idea but some one here( couldn't find his post). Raised the stock windshield to top position and put spacers under the bottom attachment screws.

I tried that first on both the stock screen and the Givi. I didn't notice an improvement. Screens seem to be very unique to the individual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts