StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I'm an idiot. I know it. Due to the angle of my driveway and garage, I was backing up my truck to the garage so I could unload the bike off of my truck, I got the truck too close to the garage and the top of the windshield caught the top of the garage door. I soon realized I'd backed up too far. I fear that I've broken/cracked something b/c since then my windshield has vibrated excessively (so much it make noise) in the RPM range of 5,000 to 6,000. At those RPM's I can pull the top of the windshield towards me and the vibration does stop (as if something is loose). I've tried tightening all of the windshield attachment parts and searched for a crack everywhere I could. I don't know if the vibration is due to a break somewhere in some part or if there is quite possibly another reason the vibration is occurring. Does anyone have any assistance as to where I can look or what I might try to fix this dilemma? Thanks.
Lance

·
Registered
467 Posts
There is a large plastic windscreen mount for the V-Strom that detaches from the front fairing in model years since '04 for DL1000. If you take the two plastic strips off, and the screen off, you should be able to wiggle just the mount absent any screen and see if it has wiggle in it. You could also take the mount off of the fairing to inspect the mount and the fairing under it.

The screen height adjustments are described in the owners manual, which will talk about how this all fits together.

If you have done all this, you should provide more information as to what you found, such as pictures, for people to consider. Also, you might move this thread to the 'General Discussion' forum, since it's not really a service and maintenance item. (At least, I hope I don't have to experience this as part of regular maintenance. :) )

Many bikes sadly experience a case of hanger rash. I hope you have not done significant damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Well I can't figure out how to move this to Gen. Discussion forum. If someone could do it for me or show me how that'd be great.)

Also, The windshield mounting itself appears to be in good shape as well. I suppose I"ll have to pull the fairings off to get a good look and see if there is any real damage. And I'll take a picture or two. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts