StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the only issue I have with my Wee Strom. I have the Laminar Touring Lip on the stock screen and now have the MadStad bracket which helps but no cure. I have found that using Wolfman tank panniers helps also. The buffeting now comes from inside and around the mirrors. I can hold my hand up (one at a time :>) and stop the turbulent air on that side. The air over the top is clean. I think I need a wider shield.

The Rifle is real wide but I can't use the MadStad with it. Anyone used a Rifle? Same for the MP? Is the C Bailey wider by enough to matter. I am about to give up but that will eliminate the Strom as my cross country one-up all day bike and I hate that. It is the most fun and pleasant bike I have owned.

Just Bill

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just completed a 4,000-mile trip out west with a Givi screen and the Madstad bracket without any buffeting issues. Last summer, I did 5,000 miles out west with the stock screen and was hammered unmercifully by the wind blast. My only issue this summer was the oppressive heat, high 90s to 106 degrees for most of my riding. I know, that's not Stromette heat, but it's plenty hot for a northern Minnesota boy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Madstad is now making a bracket to fit the MP! Check out the MP site for info too. I have the Rifle +5" (2" narrower). Not that happy with it. 5'6"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been doing some observing and I think I know why us short guys get more buffeting than you taller folks. The turbulence that hits "normal" height folks in the shoulders and chest hits us shorties in the helmet. I can raise my self up on the pegs a few inches and the buffeting stops though I feel the air on my arms and chest. No problem in that position, but my legs get tired pretty quick :>)

I removed my tank panniers to see if they really help. They really do. It is unbearable without them. With them, the turbulence comes off the inside of the mirrors. Without them, it comes from everywhere and sets up a hell of a vibration (roar) inside my helmet (Shoei and HJC). I think I can figure out some plastic air dams that will help even more. The MadStad bracket has helped. Maybe a wider windshield will help. But I do not see how a windshield alone can solve the problem for guys my height (5'8" with a gel seat, up and back risers and a stock shield with Laminar Touring Lip). Anyway, with the tank panniers back on, I am in love again. I will now try a new windshield, just don't know which yet. I am convinced that what works for you 6 footers will probably not work for us shorties. This may account for some of the inconsistent results that are posted and the reason the "cure" sees to be an individual issue.

Just Bill

·
Registered
184 Posts
People's experiences with screens are so individual, I don't think one rider's experience, by itself, carries a whole lot of weight. But FWIIW, I'm started running the shortest Cee Bailey a couple weeks ago and like it. If the stock screen is a 3 out of 10, I'd rate the CB a 7 or 8 - not perfect, but much, much better.

- Mark

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know about us "tall" guys getting less buffeting. I'm 6 feet tall. I've lowered my screen by about 2 inches already and I'm still getting turbulent air on my melon. I'm going to try lowering the sheild another inch or so, but after that, I'll have to start making some serious mods to the stock plastic or I'll obstruct my headlights. I'm trying to recreate the clean air I used to get on my KLR.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Givi screen works for me (6'). At about 70 mph, I got a little 'top of the helmet' buffeting, so in a search for perfection, I added MadStad brackets last week.

Now I've found perfection.

- Tom

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just Bill said:
This is the only issue I have with my Wee Strom. I have the Laminar Touring Lip on the stock screen and now have the MadStad bracket which helps but no cure. I have found that using Wolfman tank panniers helps also. The buffeting now comes from inside and around the mirrors. I can hold my hand up (one at a time :>) and stop the turbulent air on that side. The air over the top is clean. I think I need a wider shield.

The Rifle is real wide but I can't use the MadStad with it. Anyone used a Rifle? Same for the MP? Is the C Bailey wider by enough to matter. I am about to give up but that will eliminate the Strom as my cross country one-up all day bike and I hate that. It is the most fun and pleasant bike I have owned.

Just Bill
Bill I've noticed the same thing with where the noisy air is coming from - I've a Laminar Touring Lip, Mad-Stad mount, 1" handlebar extensions, hand guards, Sargeant Wld Class Sport Seat and use an added gel/sheepskin cover. I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam so indeed, I do sit higher than you. In fact wayyyy up there. Also have the Mad-Stad at middle position, adjusted all the way up and tilted 3/4's back.

I don't think larger windscreens are the solution, they serve only making the bike less sporty, less fuel efficient and more like a Goldwing or a Voyager.

I've noticed a significant improvement re: turbulence from cleaning up the aerodynamics - air flow, which I think everyone who's been working on [their] solution will agree with.

Note the Emgo mirrors and hand guards in this link:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h241/allonsye/Gaspe Quebec New England Mtrcycle Tour/June06_Gaspe_trip-014.jpg
The Emgo mirrors are very streamlined. The handguards [seem] to move a significant amount of air from hitting me just under my lid.

Subsequent to this pic I added Emgo flush mount turn signals and noticed an increased diminishment of the noise coming around the sides. I don't have a pic but here's a link to what mine look like. I purchased them off my local bike shop's accy rack for $13.

http://stromtrooper.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7152&highlight=flush

Rides at 70mph and below are now tolerated w/o using ear plugs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It is the most fun and pleasant bike I have owned.
Me too, Just Bill.
Getting beat up by the wind is one thing, but temperature of that air is quite another.
In November 2005, I bought a GIVI windscreen (model D260ST) to replace Suzuki's OE on my DL1000K5. It made a whole world of difference for me even though I'm only 5-feet-6 with boots on.

B

·
0 Posts
I wont be happy until they make a windshield that goes all the way over the top.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am a new DL650 owner, 5'10" and 32"inseam. The default windscreen position (lowest) creates significant turbulence around my eyes and top of my head, to the point of being uncomfortable with the visor open. I moved the windscreen one notch up and the turbulence is now above my eyes, but still there around my forehead. I will try the shimming idea next, it may be good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I just took my shield off, t'hell with it. I couldn't get the turbulence to stop and I wasn't in the mood to spend any money on it. I've never had a bike with a windshield, so I guess I'm not spoiled for it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've got mp touring shield with saeng mico edging, almost no buffeting, close to perfect, almost as good as my ST1300 with adjustable screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts