StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through the very many windshield posts but most of them advocate for buying a new higher wider one.

I am 5'9" with about a 30 inseam the windshield came mounted in its highest position. Now I have had maybe a dozen bikes or more over the years and only one other bike had a windshield so it could be a personal taste thing but ... I found the ride to be a little wierd on the new Strom.

It was dead quiet .. almost toooooo quiet .. that is until about 62mph on the Speedo. Then air started slapping me on either side of the helmet. Got really weird on my ride this morning since it was windy. I stuck my hand out and the air is definitely going over my helmet but its allowing side buffering.

Be that as it may .. Am I the only one that feels that still air I get under 62 a little disconcerting? Or am I just strange.

I just lowered it to the lowest mounting holes and it looks like the mounting holes are only about 1/2 inch apart so I lowered it about 1 in and glorious wind was rushing at me but .. not slapping the sides of my helmet anymore. Feels like it is just skirting over the top of my helmet but I am not getting the side buffering.

So has anyone decided to go lower instead of bigger wider. Maybe I am just used to more air!
Alex

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I went with a shorter windscreen due to helmet buffeting. However I'm 6'5". I could never get the OE screen to work for me. I went with a Moose Racing dark tinted low screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with a shorter windscreen due to helmet buffeting. However I'm 6'5". I could never get the OE screen to work for me. I went with a Moose Racing dark tinted low screen.
That Moose racing looks Nifty as hell on the bike as a bonus!

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Some guys get new mirrors. They seemed to be cause of problem with buffeting.
Or maybe you've been a bad boy and Karma was getting even on your ride?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm lucky I guess. I find the stock screen fine. Maybe the set-back risers took care of the mirror buffeting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just got a new 2018 Vstrom and they upgraded me to the Givi Airflow over the stock screen as it was too short.

It's adjustable for both height and angulation and it's been great for me.

That said I've never been one of the guys who have problems with buffeting. It think it's cus my noggin is gigantic and heavy.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some guys get new mirrors. They seemed to be cause of problem with buffeting.
Or maybe you've been a bad boy and Karma was getting even on your ride?
^^^THIS^^^ Installing new mirrors cured the high speed head slapping for me.. I figured it out by holding my hand open on both sides of the mirror to deflect more of the windstream and was able to get buffeting to stop from that side..

·
Registered
282 Posts
^^^THIS^^^ Installing new mirrors cured the high speed head slapping for me.. I figured it out by holding my hand open on both sides of the mirror to deflect more of the windstream and was able to get buffeting to stop from that side..
that's interesting idea, I;m 6'1 and getting buffeting at top of my helmet.
I have ordered wind deflector but never would though about mirrors,
they huge indeed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hadnt considered the mirrors but there was a significant amount of air coming from the inside edges when I checked this morning. All that said .. I didnt care for the uppermost setting on the windscreen and the lowest moved my glasses around a bit but was better

but

Today did about 40 miles with speeds up to 71 and the middle position was perfect. Enough air movement and noise around me to feel like I am motorcycling but my helmet and glasses were rock rock solid. In fact .. in this position .. for me .. the air seemed to get even more stable at speed and with a little bend of the elbow it was great. Even seemed to increase my field of view even though its only like a 3/4inch adjustment.

I am not a big fairing windscreen fan .. but it was actually pretty awesome. Who would have thought such a small adjustment could pay off so much.

·
Registered
291 Posts
that's interesting idea, I;m 6'1 and getting buffeting at top of my helmet.
I have ordered wind deflector but never would though about mirrors,
they huge indeed.
I'm 5'8" and have the Givi 3105ST (not the airflow) windscreen. The buffeting was most notable for me when I was seated fully back on the saddle and upright at highway speeds. Just as you identified, the inside edge of the stock mirrors were sending up a stream of air that was slapping the sides of my helmet.. Caused almost a drumming sound inside the helmet and got even worse when I was riding around traffic with turbulence. I switched over to a set of slightly smaller round mirrors off of an old naked SV650 that I had years ago as a track/race bike and drumming/buffeting went away.. YMMV.. It worked for me...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hadnt considered the mirrors but there was a significant amount of air coming from the inside edges when I checked this morning. All that said .. I didnt care for the uppermost setting on the windscreen and the lowest moved my glasses around a bit but was better

but

Today did about 40 miles with speeds up to 71 and the middle position was perfect. Enough air movement and noise around me to feel like I am motorcycling but my helmet and glasses were rock rock solid. In fact .. in this position .. for me .. the air seemed to get even more stable at speed and with a little bend of the elbow it was great. Even seemed to increase my field of view even though its only like a 3/4inch adjustment.

I am not a big fairing windscreen fan .. but it was actually pretty awesome. Who would have thought such a small adjustment could pay off so much.
I run my windscreen on the lowest setting and on the highway have it adjusted to lowest position. Other than the wind howling thru the upper vent (I'll usually close that vent) on my helmet, it's a very clean position for me...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have completely solved my buffeting issues. I have a write up and pictures in the 2017+ windshield buffeting sticky thread.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I have a Madstad bracket and run the stock screen in its lowest, most laid back position. I find that I get a clean airflow over my helmet with very little buffeting.
5'10" with 30 in, inseam.

·
Registered
83 Posts

This looks pretty good, unfortunately they don't appear to offer one for the Wee 2017+.

I too think I would like to try a smaller screen. I've had one naked bike (Kawakaki zr-7) and three faired bikes (Pacific Coast, FJR, and now the Wee). I'm hoping if I get a short enough screen I can get the smooth air flow. Like, an almost nothing screen. I've seen several suggestions but most aren't fitted for this (2017+ model).

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts

This looks pretty good, unfortunately they don't appear to offer one for the Wee 2017+.

I too think I would like to try a smaller screen. I've had one naked bike (Kawakaki zr-7) and three faired bikes (Pacific Coast, FJR, and now the Wee). I'm hoping if I get a short enough screen I can get the smooth air flow. Like, an almost nothing screen. I've seen several suggestions but most aren't fitted for this (2017+ model).
Just cut the stock one. That’s what I did, it’s roughly the same height as that Moose racing screen. Works great.

Reactions: Big Boy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts