StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to raise the OEM screen to the highest position.

I notice that the retaining thread seems to be in a rubber sleeve. The other holes have nothing to retain the screws in the alternate screen positions.
I suppose that the retaining screws are to be moved, but how. I tried to remove the bodywork behind the screen ( around the speedo area) but it does't seem to want to move easily.

Do I just tug on the rubber screw surrounds to pull them out or what?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes you need to remove the rubber nuts ( I can't remember the proper name). The easiest way I have found is to take one of the windshield bolts and screw it into the rubber nut but only a couple threads. Then grab the bolt and pull the nut out

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well nuts glass3222 I'm sure.

Some of the well nuts seem to take on a set that means the only way of getting them out is to push them through the fairing, where they invariably fall on the floor. I have some spare ones so if they're not easy to get in I'm not stuck with a screen I can't refit.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

I was hoping there was a simple solution.

I must admit that the bodywork on the Strom is a challenge to remove. It is my first non dirt bike I have owned for a while. In general they are easier to pull Th.e body panels off.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Once the screws are out, I've never had much of a problem taking the well nuts out from the front. Even if they have taken a set, a little force gets them out.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Once the screws are out, I've never had much of a problem taking the well nuts out from the front. Even if they have taken a set, a little force gets them out.
Not if you use Kung-fu grip to torque them down. I bought a set of spares to replace the originals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a problem with just two that wouldn't come out without a fear of damaging them.

In the end I got a length of wire, pushed it through the well-nut until it appeared below the dash (above the mudguard). I then pushed them into the hole and waggled the wire until they appeared in my hand. If you just push them through they could disappear anywhere. :mrgreen:

Once out simply roll them between your fingers to remove the 'bulge' and then re-fit as normal.

Hope this makes sense. :biggrinjester:

·
38,048 Posts
In the end I got a length of wire, pushed it through the well-nut until it appeared below the dash (above the mudguard). I then pushed them into the hole and waggled the wire until they appeared in my hand.
Beautiful. I love it. I'll have to remember that if I ever have a problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
With the screw in a couple of threads a little lubricant will let them come out. You could use a little soapy water. Spit usually works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a problem with just two that wouldn't come out without a fear of damaging them.

In the end I got a length of wire, pushed it through the well-nut until it appeared below the dash (above the mudguard). I then pushed them into the hole and waggled the wire until they appeared in my hand. If you just push them through they could disappear anywhere. :mrgreen:

Once out simply roll them between your fingers to remove the 'bulge' and then re-fit as normal.

This works for me, too. Once they have been used the back mushrooms out, making it difficult to pull out; pushing through is easier but the wire is essential to guide them out of the deep dark crevices of the Wee. I learned a lot about my new motorcycle by searching for a Wellnut.

·
Registered
622 Posts
:thumbup::thumbup: Great idea. Of course, I already have four lost forever in the fairing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
...I got a length of wire, pushed it through the well-nut until it appeared below the dash (above the mudguard). I then pushed them into the hole and waggled the wire until they appeared in my hand.
Nice trick! I wish I had known it when I raised my windshield; I lost one of the nuts inside the fairing, it never did fall out (that I know of).

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got lucky when I did mine... only took me 45 minutes of looking before I found the one I dropped. :green_lol:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success

Well I tried tugging then out with the screw just inserted but to no avail.

So I " extracted them" with my quality US made vice grips. I used counter force on the fairing plastic with my left hand.

Mission accomplished. Spit or slicone electrical lube might be useful as suggested above.

The way I am going with bolts etc,disappearing into the abyss of the DL's body work, I wonder if this could explain the mystery vibe some riders get at 4700rpm?????

·
38,048 Posts
Do not pull on an inserted screw. That makes the rubber balloon outward. Get hold of the rubber collar with no screw inserted to pull it out. Did you people having trouble with well nuts and bar end weights ever play with these as kids?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Do not pull on an inserted screw. That makes the rubber balloon outward. Get hold of the rubber collar with no screw inserted to pull it out. Did you people having trouble with well nuts and bar end weights ever play with these as kids?
I'll vouch for that - just pry it out enough to get a grip on it and wiggle it out. To re-insert just twist and push. It gets a lot easier the second or third time you do it.

But if that don't work for you, the wire tip is very clever.

·
Registered
358 Posts
First you use the slightly threaded screw to pull it out far enough to lube it. Then you use the screw slightly threaded to pull it out enough to grab it. Twist while pulling and it comes right out. Sometimes for reinstallation I have them all already slightly threaded onto the wind shield and then place the whole thing on at once. However, one time doing that I wasn't careful and almost pushed one through that way. That might have been a challenge to pull back through.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Great Solution. I used to push them through and have a 50% recovery rate. I am going to try this next time.

Earl

·
38,048 Posts
I changed shields today too, still not a hint of a problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts