StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking over this forum and others for several months before I got my V-Strom. Has there ever been a difinitave answer on the best windscreen. I have looks and searched this forum and others and to be honest there is too much info to sift through.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
It is one big crap shoot. Some get lucky and some don't. Too many variables for a real answer.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
The right windscreen depends on you.

Your height, your inseam, your riding posture, your tolerance level and your expectations. Since there's only 1 of you (I know, crazy assumption), the best thing to do is read, read, read and then guess at which one works for you.

I can tell you, if you are 5'10" with a 30" inseam, heavyset, like riding with poor posture (kind of hunched forward with your ass scooted back on the seat and your toes on the footpegs), you came from a cruiser with no windshield, and you wear an ARAI Quantum/f, then, like me, you can cut 3-1/2" inches off the top of the screen and be pretty comfortable. With that said, I do, currently, have a replacement GIVI shield on order.

Good luck with your choices. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,237 Posts
Heavy said:
The right windscreen depends on you.

Your height, your inseam, your riding posture, your tolerance level and your expectations. Since there's only 1 of you (I know, crazy assumption), the best thing to do is read, read, read and then guess at which one works for you.

I can tell you, if you are 5'10" with a 30" inseam, heavyset, like riding with poor posture (kind of hunched forward with your ass scooted back on the seat and your toes on the footpegs), you came from a cruiser with no windshield, and you wear an ARAI Quantum/f, then, like me, you can cut 3-1/2" inches off the top of the screen and be pretty comfortable. With that said, I do, currently, have a replacement GIVI shield on order.

Good luck with your choices. :)
Couldn't have said it better....so I won't!!!! :lol:

+1 for the GIVI....I don't care what anybody says, it is the BEST screen on the market for the price! The best looking too....others are BUTT ugly!

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
ekaphoto said:
Has there ever been a difinitave answer on the best windscreen.
No, and will never be :!:

There is surely something wrong with me 'cause I agree again with Heavy. :wink:

Big B,

do you have a picture posted about your good loking Givi screen on your bike? I would have a look on it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think if had to buy another screen (and price was no object) I'd try an MP Cycle Design shield. Heard a lot of good stuff about that one.

·
Registered
264 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
I think if had to buy another screen (and price was no object) I'd try an MP Cycle Design shield. Heard a lot of good stuff about that one.
I heard a lot of good stuff too, so I ordered one last week and should have it this week.
Ordering is a bit of a pain since you have to contact them thru email to get a final cost and shipping quote and then you have to mail them a check. And I was in a rush so I had to pay for fedex to get them the check quickly. But the cool thing is that you discuss your height, inseam, riding habits, etc with Paul and he makes sure you get a screen that's right for you. Based on my answers he's sending me the 21.5" screen with some modified mounting holes so it sits at the right height. And he got it out of his shop in just a day or two. So other than not being able to accept online payment yet, I am pretty impressed so far. Now hopefully the windscreen will show up and it will be a whole lot better than stock.

·
Registered
236 Posts
ChrisW123 said:
Ditto; I tried the Givi, Cee Bailey, and cut/slashed/twisted/raised/lowered/tilted and hacked the stocker...

MPCycledesigns is home sweet home... Worth the cost... And refundable if it doesn't work for you... And Paul is a first-class individual...

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've posted this pic before. However, if you're 5'8", 30" inseam and CHEAP - the Laminar Touring Lip works very well (+ you keep the stock shield + it's removable) :D

Al

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
I had narrowed it down to the CalSci when someone mentioned Rifle. Checked out their site, liked the looks better, then got the touring version. Much better than stock, but I'm coming from an old Yamaha Venture with full fairing and windshield. My brother just got an 06 1K strom and thinks the stock one is find, but he's coming from a naked Harley. Guess it depends on your expectations.

·
Registered
186 Posts
nighthawk22 said:
I had narrowed it down to the CalSci when someone mentioned Rifle. Checked out their site, liked the looks better, then got the touring version. Much better than stock, but I'm coming from an old Yamaha Venture with full fairing and windshield. My brother just got an 06 1K strom and thinks the stock one is find, but he's coming from a naked Harley. Guess it depends on your expectations.
I ltried the CalSci & didn't see much difference so I returned it.

So the Rifle Touring version is much better?

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Works better than stock. Haven't tried any other. I decided I liked the looks better than the CalSci, not that the CalSci looked bad. Enough people said it was a crap shoot anyway, so I went with what looked best to me. Real scientific, hu.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts