StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have decided to go with a 2012 Stock Wee and I am putting together a list of accessories. The problem is that the list is getting too long. Something has got to give and I have narrowed it down to the SW-Motech center stand or MRA Vario touring windshield. I am not sure which I should purchase? Which is most crucial initially? My other bike is a Harley so I dont have a reference as to how useful the centerstand could be. Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Given that the buffeting situation supposedly is much improved with the 2012 wee, I would go for the center stand. It makes chain maintenance (and filling the gas tank to the tippy-top) a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've used an MRA vario screen for 6 or 7 years. I've got one 20 mile ride so far on my 2012. I think the stock screen will be just fine for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I didnt even think about the gas issue....good point. Also good to know that the 2012 windscreen is an improvement. Should be making the leap here in mid March. Going with TRAX panniers, hand guards, and lower cowling. I know the cowling is mostly cosmetic but it really finishes off the bike in a nice way.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I had the MRA Vario on my DL1000 and liked it alot, but on this new style, I'll probably just stay with the stock screen. The center stand is very handy for cleaning and adjusting the chain. I'll never forget seeing a guy on a DL650 up near Diamond Lake, Oregon, brand new bike, no center stand, and he had his girl friend pushing the bike across the parking lot while he stumbled behind it, trying to spray lube on the chain. Pretty hard to look cool under those conditions.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the 2012, and the stock windscreen works just fine..no buffeting...it doesn't come with a centerstand, so that is definatly on my list of things to get...after i can afford the skidplate, etc..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Probably centerstand. Until you spend some time on the new bike you won't know what you think of the windshield. I can't think of any other bike part that people have such wildly varying views as they do windscreens. Two guys of the same build, one loves a particular windscreen, the other hates it.
The centerstand is useful no matter what.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I say you ride the bike as is and decide after a while rather than spending money you may not need to spend.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
"'Vantage #3," said the bi-coloured python rock snake.

Centrestand is really useful, there was a reason they were standard fittings on bikes years ago. These days they are accessories and we have to pay extra for them.:thumbdown:
Apart from the ease of chain maintenance and wheel removal there is also the advantage of loading luggage with the bike upright rather than leaning over to one side. I use soft luggage and it's much easier to adjust the load when the bike is upright.:thumbup:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Centrestand is really useful, there was a reason they were standard fittings on bikes years ago. These days they are accessories and we have to pay extra for them.
Elimination of the center stand from the bikes is a marketing decision -- all manufacturers want their bikes to be lighter than the competition. The addition of the center stand as a standard part on the bike would add another 15 or so pounds, and make that bike look bad in comparison to the competition. Also, center stands cost money and accessory sales are high profit dollars, for both the factory and the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the 2012 the std windscreen is fine.
Get the center stand - lubing the chain IS a maintenance item and so much easier with a center stand

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Centre Stands are useless. Automatic chain oilers are cheaper and do a better job at lubing the chain; they also don't scrape the road when turning left.
Taking a wheel off? Seriously? How often do you do that? In twenyty bikes and over a million kilometers I've never had to take a wheel off.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Taking a wheel off? Seriously? How often do you do that? In twenyty bikes and over a million kilometers I've never had to take a wheel off.
Tell you what. You keep paying someone else to do your service and I'll buy a centerstand just once and do my own.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Centre Stands are useless. Automatic chain oilers are cheaper and do a better job at lubing the chain; they also don't scrape the road when turning left.
You've never changed a tire in a million kilometers?

I would wait on the windscreen until you see if you need it. The centerstand is very nice but not neccessary. I'm actually a fan of waiting to see what farkles you need and adding them later. That way you don't waste money on something you don't need and you appreciate them more.

·
Registered
302 Posts
By your logic, I could completely avoid chain maintenance altogether by just taking my bike to the dealer every 300 miles and have them clean and lube the chain. No need for a centerstand or a chain oiler. :thumbup::confused:

If you've never taken a wheel off in a million kilometers, you've pissed away a ton of money on tire changes that would have paid for many centerstands. My SW Motech centerstand doesn't scrape at all, and I've had the peg feelers (and knees) on the ground on both sides.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Windscreens, you never know until you try them. A center stand imho is a must, should be a stock item. You'll love it when it comes to chain maintenance and flats. These bikes are so much fun you will be riding or think about riding a lot.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went with Murph's center stand. At that price I didn't feel I had to sacrafice any other farkles I may develop an interest in.

I only have about 70 miles on my 2012, but a windscreen will not be necessary for my uses.

I will need mirror extenders (Richland Rick?) for better visibility though.

Good luck with your decision. From my perspective the center stand would be the most useful of the two choices you gave.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
More passion!

Stromtroopers I have met seem to exhibit far more passion about windshields
than they do about centerstands. I specified a centerstand when I arranged to purchase my new 2006 Wee, because I have used and appreciated centerstands for scores of years.

Windshields, on the other hand, matter little to me. I moved the stock shield up and rode to the Pacific, and liked it that way. I moved the stock shield down and rode to Newfoundland, and liked it just as well that way, so it remains.

But when I ride with Ontario Stromtroopers (about four times) I notice that I am the only one with a stock windshield held on by stock hardware. They have a broad assortment of wide shields, tall shields, shields with two or three layers, shields with holes, costly brackets, electric lifts for the shield, and even pieces of opaque plastic in place of the shield.

Clearly they see and feel differences that mean little to me.
Maybe you will approach the idea of windshields the way I do;
more likely, you will want to customize the windshield in some way.

As far as lubricating the chain is concerned, you can raise the rear wheel
by standing to the right of the bike, and pushing forward and up against
the sidestand. Then someone (even you, with practice) can shove a
piece of 2x2 under the right swing-arm just in front of the axle.
The very capable Florida rider "ironmorph" does this, and would not give
you ten bucks for a floorstand. He goes everywhere, but we do not see
him here often, because he is now on a Yamaha, still going everywhere.

As was suggested in post #9, why not ride the bike a while and see
how much you need either accessory? You may find that another need
postpones your purchase of either.

Just enjoy your ride ... as if you have a choice in THAT matter.
Keith

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are the type that does your own wrenching a centerstand is a must. The stock shield is hopeless as far as I am concerned (granted i have a 2011 and you a 2012) but stock is stock and companies put just enough quality components on vehicles to roll them out the showrooms (for most big companies profit is king and quality be damned), and so I got a Givi shield with a madstad bracket and my riding enjoyment increased greatly. If its one or the other go with the shield.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts