StromTrooper banner

How bad is it really?

• Great - No problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK - Not great but it'll do

• Bearable - Less than OK but I'll keep it

• Terrible - Can't deal with it. Must change it.

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so much about how bad the strom windscreen is and I confess, I just don't get it.

Coming from a naked standard, I think the wind protection with the stock screen is marvelous. I am 6'0"/32" and use the stock screen in the lowest position. I get clean air on my helmet and virtually none on my chest.

I wonder if this is case of the vocal minority making a big issue of what may not be a problem for most. Please cast your vote to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,228 Posts
Vstromper said:
I have read so much about how bad the strom windscreen is and I confess, I just don't get it.

Coming from a naked standard, I think the wind protection with the stock screen is marvelous. I am 6'0"/32" and use the stock screen in the lowest position. I get clean air on my helmet and virtually none on my chest.

I wonder if this is case of the vocal minority making a big issue of what may not be a problem for most. Please cast your vote to shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Marvelous...is taking things a wee bit far!!!!! :lol: I NEVER ride a motorcycle, and try to pick out what is wrong....allot of people do!! :evil: I try and find all the things that I like, that is what is important. But......right off the bat, I knew that this screen SUCKS!!!!! Bet ya know what my vote was! :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I don't have a real problem with it, but then I've only had the bike a bit over a month. The vast bulk of my riding is at 55 or less and at those speeds I don't get any buffeting. It's noticeable at around 70 or so but nothing worth spending a bunch of money to get rid of. I can live with it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buffeting.....? What buffeting....?
Seriously though, I only have butting issues when I ride behind semi trucks, large groups of traffic at interstate speeds, and in high crosswinds. The first two I can pretty much always avoid, and high crosswinds push most bikes around.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I happen to think the stock screen is superb. I ride with a flip up helmet and I ride with my visor up 99%. I can even ride with the chinbar in the raised position and have no issues. Hell I find the air so clean I can wear the half lid I wear on my cruiser (I don't due to the agressive seating position)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Vstromper said:
You don't notice and wind-buffeting at speed? For me the stock screen would produce wind-buffeting at around 50mph, and at 60mph or more, my head would be battered back and forth pretty strongly. Terrible.

A standard bike or bike with no screen would not have the same problem since there's no screen diverting the air blast directly into your helmet like the stock screen does. I never noticed wind-buffeting on my sport bike because the screen is so different on those bikes.

I've got a new taller screen now and it's a big improvement, although not perfect. I guess if you are taller you won't be as effected. I'm 5' 9". And I tried the screen in ALL positions with no help at all. :(

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
The difference between no-screen on my XR and the Wee's stocker is dramatic... On the XR at highway speeds I get a smooth, comfortable stream of air whereas with the Wee's screen in any position, it's constant "bobble-head" syndrome. I'm 5'9".

I'd take the Wee's screen right off but it does greatly reduce tiresome wind pressure on the upper body and deflects a lot of bugs.

That buffeting has to be fixed though; it's hard to see very far ahead because my head's constantly moving around.

I'm still waffling between the CalSci, MP and Givi. It may come down to finances so the Givi will probably be my first attempt.

- Martin

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
I'm still waffling between the CalSci, MP and Givi. It may come down to finances so the Givi will probably be my first attempt.
You might want to try someone else's helmet (or a different one if you have one) as they do make a difference. I have two and get a good bit more buffeting with one than with the other. I also notice more with both of them when my visor is open than when it's closed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've got mine set on the lowest position and have no spacers installed. The stock screen seems pretty good to me. I'm 6' 0" tall with a 31" inch inseam. Right now I'm riding with my cruiser open face 1/2 helmet in the humid Florida heat. Yep, I get a little wind, but at 75 or 80mph thats to be expected.
Cheers!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I voted for OK. I just don't think about the Wee's screen while riding, I'm having too much fun. Tried it on all 3 positions and settled on the middle, I'm 5'9.

I wouldn't say it's perfect and I might play around with it some more but it's working decently for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'm not a big fan of the screen. it's not the buffeting that bugs me as much as the noise. when i lift my ass out of the saddle and poke my head up over the screen, suddenly, everything goes quiet and i get clean air on my melon. (i've already drilled some holes in the screen and lowered it by an inch or two.) it's not unbearable, but i think i'll keep tinkering until i get it just right.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I just switched to the Givi last night and it is so much better. Most of the buffeting is gone. Not good if you want some lower than stock (it is much wider and taller), but if you want a good, larger windscreen it is a great choice and the price isn't going to break the bank.

·
Super Moderator
13,071 Posts
I didn't vote... I found the sceen in the stock setup to give me buffeting that made me think of what a woodpecker wood be like if he was hammering on my head. My vision would get blurry from the effect! All the stock positions gave me the same results. I'm 6'2" 220 lbs and ride a DL650 K6.

I still have the stock windshield but adding the Madstad bracket cured the woodpecker effect. There is some buffeting going on but pretty minor compared to the totally stock setup.

I am sure there are better windscreens that provide more protection but at this point I am happy with the stock sceen plus the bracket. I suspect I will keep this setup at least until I ride someone else's bike with a different windsceen that is significantly better.

..Tom

·
Registered
59 Posts
Vstromper said:

Thanks
I'm 6 feet and picked up my DL650 yesterday. The stock screen sucks with all of the buffeting. I've already ordered a Givi.

·
Registered
91 Posts
At first I thought that all bikes had buffeting issues like the Strom. I had similar difficulties with the ST1100 I had prior - with 3 different screens.

I have a friend with a 2004 Harley Sportster. It has nothing on the front but a tiny quarter fairing. It basically just wraps around the headlight, with a tiny curved lip at the top. To look at it, you wouldn't think it would do much of anything.

We traded bikes for the day a few weeks ago, and I had gone about 7 miles on his Sporty when I suddenly realized that my head wasn't bobbing around like it normally did on the Strom.

I was nothing but a nice, calm, steady stream of air with absolutely no buffeting, so it *is* possible to have your helmet in the wind and still have it be a positive experience.

It's caused me to go after the Strom windshield problem again with renewed vigor, because I now know what clean air is supposed to feel like.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just replaced the four stock bracket bolts with 6mm x 50 mm bolts and put 3/4" spacers on the lower bolts between the bracket and the fairing. The stock windshield is sitting in the highest position and the air flow is very clean, no more buffeting at any speed. And I still have good bug / rain protection too. Cost me $5.

·
Registered
297 Posts
6 ft tall, 32" inseam, stock windscreen SUCKS in all positions. Feels like somebody drumming on the sides of my helmet.

Solution:

MADSTAD!! Got the brackets installed yesterday, 3 adjustments later I've rid the ride of 85% of the buffeting. Will order an MP Cycle Designs soon too clear out the remaining head chatter...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts