StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my '07 vee has a really messed up wind screen. I normally just wash it but it definitely needs some actual work to get it right.
Anyone know how to get rid of the foggy, yellowed look on it? View attachment 268604 tty

·
Registered
31 Posts
Start with #2000 wet&dry, very wet. Move to a cutting compound with a soft wheel, then a polishing paste.

Go slow, keep it wet and you'll eventually get a clean screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Several plastic cleaners can do the job. Even toothpaste can polish plastic.
Yeah, was thinking whitening toothpaste like I used on an older boats gelcoat once but didn't want to waste my time without fishing some experience out of here first.

Also hoping this might help someone else and that I'm not the only one who's windscreen looks so bad XD

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
Odd, I've never had a windscreen haze over like that. And I've had a lot of windscreens. I've polished plastic gauge faces with rouge too. As long as the polish isn't gritty, you can get good results.
I've been using Carnuba wax and my orbital polisher on the headlights of my Camry cus they haze up. Funny how DOT allowed the use of that kind of headlight face when they get so hazed.
When I had messed with a motorcycle windscreen I make of a buck padded with towels to support it and use my orbital buffer. Awkward but it allows me to polish and not snag the mounting hardware.

·
Vendor
4,702 Posts
Lots of good advice above, especially about the use of VERY fine wet dry sand paper followed by polishing compound and buffing. I have better result than I would have thought possible using that technique, but the headlight polishing kits seem ready made for what you have experienced.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Some headlight restore kits don't include the UV protectant polish coating that should be the last step. If you don't use that stuff the plastic will fog up again pretty quick. I bought some plastic polish at Canadian Tire that has UV protection written on the label. We'll see, haven't applied it yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts