StromTrooper banner

2221 - 2240 of 2257 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know there is already an entire encyclopedia on windscreens for our bikes, but I hope someone may be able to give the us the clif notes. I’m 5’7” with about a 30” inseam, I have a Sargent seat, and I ride a 2014 650. I’ve been looking at the Madstad system specifically. I live in the central area of NC, so I’ll have hot summers (is that cutout on the CalSci a good thing?), but I like to ride in the winter too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
EasyRider did you ever get that Parabellum windshield? If so, how is it working for you?
Im probably late to this, but I did in fact go with the Parabellum. I purchased the large one and mounted it in the lowest setting. I tried all 3 and the lowest was the best for me. It actually increased the buffeting effect around my helmet over the stock windshield. I opted to install the XCreed visor and all is good now.

It's been an untypical year for me as far as riding so the wife has not had an opportunity to test the new windshield setup. However, I rode approximately 2k miles to, around, and from the Appalachian mountains with the new setup and it is fantastic.

The mirrors are fine around my Barkbusters. The left hand mirror does contact the windshield when I have the steering turned full lock to the right. I could avoid it by repositioning the mirror extender, but I have not done so. I like where the mirrors are and it really hasn't been a problem for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a half serious/half shit-post.

I am a new 2012 DL650 owner, but no stranger to trying to tackle buffeting after owning a 2006 R1200GS several years ago. (I eventually solved that with a stock screen + winglets + a spoiler/deflector + screen brace + a lot of time.)

I was drunk on bourbon late one night and purchased some cheap plastic "wings" from eBay a few weeks ago. I mostly forgot about them until they arrived today. Since then I have added an Airflow, AdventureTech mirror extenders and a Scuberth C3 with some improvement. I am still playing around with those.

So if you were going to stick these on your fairing, where would you put them first? I doubt these will fix anything, but I am secretly hoping bourbon will solve my buffeting issues. Please don't make too much fun of me! 🤪

·
Registered
822 Posts
I know there is already an entire encyclopedia on windscreens for our bikes, but I hope someone may be able to give the us the clif notes. I’m 5’7” with about a 30” inseam, I have a Sargent seat, and I ride a 2014 650. I’ve been looking at the Madstad system specifically. I live in the central area of NC, so I’ll have hot summers (is that cutout on the CalSci a good thing?), but I like to ride in the winter too.
late reply, but madstad and givi airflow seem to be the most common choices.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I will put in my $.02 worth. I just installed the Givi airflow and it is so much better than stock. I have it at its highest and it works well for me. I’m 6’6”, with a 36 inch inseam. There is still some wind around, but the hard buffeting and deafening sound is gone. I am pleased.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I will put in my $.02 worth. I just installed the Givi airflow and it is so much better than stock. I have it at its highest and it works well for me. I’m 6’6”, with a 36 inch inseam. There is still some wind around, but the hard buffeting and deafening sound is gone. I am pleased.

Glad to hear that it works for you. Below is the link to the wind deflectors you saw on my bike last weekend. I don’t know if he still sells them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear that it works for you. Below is the link to the wind deflectors you saw on my bike last weekend. I don’t know if he still sells them.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long going debate but I really like my calsci but it has cracked it several spots over the years and I’m currently trying to decide what to replace it with. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and my current set up is a calsci Large so it is 16.5 inches from the top hole to the top and the Augustus winglets from here. I really liked this set up and it has been that way over 25k miles. I was reading about the parabellum but even their tallest 24 is only 14.25 it seems. I recently added a saddleman seat and now I sit a little taller on the bike and was wanting a 17- 17.25 inch high shield. As I have my large shield on the top setting and it is maybe a tiny bit high. I’m 6’2” with a 34 in inseam, so I take up a lot of room, with the original seat and middle setting the large calsci hit about my mouth/ chin level and I could see over it fine. I don’t know what to go with.

current set up.
I do a lot of high speed 80-95mph traveling and several 1000 plus mile days.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Givi or buy one of the clip on "works like Givi" things off eBay.

Taller doesn't really work as well as good design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Givi or buy one of the clip on "works like Givi" things off eBay.

Taller doesn't really work as well as good design.
But I don't have any buffeting with my current set up. It just cracked. I sit in a nice quiet bubble. I’ve seen people here still say they get buffeting with Givi.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi Budsboy, I see that MRA is a German Company and Twisted Throttle sells their stuff here in N.A.
Is this the tourng or the sport version of the vario defector? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just purchased the mounts, cut up an old shield to attach to it.
If they give you spec's - just go by the measurements.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,010 Posts
Before you jump on the pricey version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MJTJTK1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png

Best $50 evah. Common complaint on the cbf1000 and this fixes it.
Likely work on a lot of bikes,
Seems identical to expensive MRA Vario but waaaay less money. Fiddly to assemble but worth the effort. Extended my touring range big time. I avoided this route before as way too expensive and never sure it would work. It does and it's cheap
Looks a bit ugly but the quiet is worth it. (y)

Okay ...as one other guy found out it can shed parts on the highway which it did today but still useable and can be prevented.
Found one part but not the other. Still functional

Settled on this angle - might help someone starting fresh.

A little more on the vario screen.

Marginal photos but might serve as a starting point for someone just installing.
I dropped the vario screen down a bit as I moved the seat to the lowest position. And kept the angle of the vario the same as the CBF1000 screen.
I could still easily see over the screen but no buffeting (y)

Be careful to get the locks correct as I lost a piece after an adjustment. Still serviceable but annoying. Found one of the missing bits but not the other half ...I clearly did not lock it firmly. It was an easy fix tho

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
What bits are at risk of disappearing? I just got one of these to put on the lower portion of my Givi AirFlow for summer riding (with the upper entirely removed), to give a bit more control while still allowing plenty of air.

2221 - 2240 of 2257 Posts