StromTrooper banner

2201 - 2219 of 2219 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
A lot of people assume the higher, the better. At a certain height, that may very well be true; but, who wants a 4'x8' windshield. The fact is, everybody's anatomy is different. For some people lower, counterintuitively, is better. It's all trial and error. Drive, stop, adjust, repeat.

·
Super Moderator
13,070 Posts
There is some confusion with the 2012-2016 DL 650. Yes, they make a Madstad bracket. BUT...they decided the bolt pattern to attach the screen would be for the 2004-2011 DL 650 and 1000. A screen for a 2012-2016 will not fit the Madstad bracket. So, they are probably forcing you to order as a kit to get around what I imagine is a long list of pissed customers that bought a screen elsewhere that didn't fit!
Pretty sure they did that since the 2012 DL650 windshield had bolsters (stand offs?) on it that complicated the whole process. It also meant the huge number of windshields designed for the original DL650 and DL1000 would work fine (and they did... both stock from my 2006 DL650 and the Givi large Screen gave me buffeting free riding.)

..Tom

·
Registered
36 Posts
Extension on top of 24" Parabellum. Now perfect for touring.
(For my "Adventure" mode without cases, just backpack strapped on, I remove the Parabellum and put on the crappy stock windscreen that I cut way down to be just a cowl over the dash, and blacked it out on backside - being done now.)

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
The MRA Vario that came with my 2015 DL650 was much better than stock for reducing buffeting, but just wasn't working well enough for me. Moving the spoiler around made no significant difference. So I installed Aprilia Tuono mirrors (Amazon knock-offs) which made for a slight reduction in buffeting, but not much. Then I installed mirror extenders from Adventure Tech. That also helped reduce the buffeting, but it was still there. So I ordered a Givi Airflow screen and that made a significant improvement. As many others have noted, I found that the Airflow worked best in the lowest position. Buffeting was still there, but reduced to a tolerable level. On a whim I decided to remove the Tuono mirrors and reinstall OEM. That did it! Buffeting is almost completely eliminated, and I can move the Airflow up and down as required. I just completed a 500km round trip and buffeting was barely noticeable. The Tuono mirrors work for many folks, but not for me. I'm quite happy with my setup now - Givi Airflow windscreen, Adventure Tech mirror extenders and OEM mirrors.

Cheers!
K

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for GIVI Airflow

Agree for sure. GIVI Airflow with stock mirrors did the trick for me. I can now ride with my helmet visor up all the time and I have forgotten about the buffeting from the stock screen.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
I had the AF on my '15 650 and really liked it. It really changed the highway experience.

On my '18 1000, while it was better than the stock 650 screen, it still had a lot of buffeting for me. I mounted the stock windscreen on the lowest setting and added this to the top which solved it. I'd say it's as good as my AF now:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Adjustable-Clip-On-Windshield-Extension-Spoiler-Wind-Deflector-For-Motorcycle/302985972875?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=601920776541&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I can ride all day long at highway speeds with visor up now. Might be worth trying before investing in more expensive options.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just bought a 2012 adventure that already had a Givi Airflow installed. Riding home I decided to raise the screen, being used to a Madstad on a KLR I gave it a firm tug. The top wection of the screen came all the way out, the 65mph wind grabbed it from my hand, whacked me on the helmet and flew 15 feet up in the air, landing in front of a car, and got smashed. So...be careful when raising the screen at speed!
Hey I had a close call myself with my 16 the l1k when I first put the airflow windscreen on the brackets weren't tight enough I was worried if they're too tight they might crack it when I was going down the road at speed such as you were it started slowly raising by itself I noticed and then it got to the top I pushed it down and it flew back up very rapidly I thought it was a goner I barely saved it .There's not much of an indent to prevent it from ejecting I actually considered putting a pin and it to prevent this from happening again .. has anyone else tried that ? to all others with this windscreen beware there is a massive amount of pressure generated under the lower tip at upper highway speeds I am actually thought it generates so much pressure it makes the bike shutter a little bit at speeds near the century mark. exercise caution and make sure your screws are tight I saved Mine by a fraction of a second but I have to also say it is the absolute best windscreen I've tried on the DL 1K and I have tried several wish I would have known it the first time...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whew, 221 pages here. It took me a few days, but I managed to read through it all. Not literally, but most of the posts that I felt were relevant to my situation were read. I want to thank everyone who put in their 2 cents. If not for this forum, I wouldn't even know where to start. The information you guys provide in this forum as a whole is awesome and I've never felt a need to post anything until today.

I picked up my 2015 650XT about a year and half ago and it's a great bike. I'm a long time rider and have owned a few bikes over the years. The VStrom is, in my opinion, the best buy I have made for the money. It is also pleasant to ride and the wife likes it too, so that's always a plus in my book.

I'm looking to purchase a windshield to make the wife a little more comfortable. She says she gets some buffeting while riding 2up with me. I stand 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I've never had any buffeting issues with the stock windshield. My wife is not very tall at 5'2". I'm unsure of her inseam measurement. Noise is a non issue as both my wife and myself are deaf. I'm currently still using the stock seat, but a Russell Day Long is in my plans soon. I imagine we might be riding a little higher when I get the new seat.

After reading through the enormous encyclopedia of windshields you all have created, I'm thinking that the Givi AF3101 or the Parabellum with the Xcreen are my best options. Actually, I wanted to try the Werks Quiet Ride windshield, but unfortunately it is no longer being sold so that leaves me with these two. I'm leaning towards the 24" or 26" Parabellum and Xcreen combo, but I'm worried we won't get enough air flow during the summer months. Is this an issue for anyone? Also, I'd rather be looking over the windshield and not through it. I'm not that tall, but from the comments here, it seems that won't be an issue?

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who rides 2up often on these two windshields or any other windshield that works for you and your passenger.

One last thing... Are the Augustus Deflectors still being sold? I have tried to contact Mimo(??) without success.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
Yes, the Russell seat will raise you up a bit. The V Strom rear seat is taller than the front, but with the difference in height of the two of you that is a big advantage. She won't be much if any taller in the seat than you, but she will be further back from the windshield. Meaning the air bubble of calm air may not act to cover her as well. Especially with most of the windshields on the market.

You are going to get plenty of air onto with about any screen. Width of the screen makes more difference in air flow than height. You should NEVER need to look through a screen to get a nice calm air pocket.

The WERKS Quiet Ride was a bolt on solution. But the Parabellum can be made to work well. Cannot tell you for sure which height to get. But I always lean toward taller than shorter. It is VERY easy to drill additional mounting holes should you need to lower the screen a bit. Adding the X-creen to the Parabellum makes it versatile and improves it a LOT. Stay away from the Givi Airflow, they are great for certain conditions. But two up and running at higher speeds they are lacking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That was my thought exactly with the Parabellum, that I can always drill holes and make it shorter. Which is part of the reason I'm leaning towards it. I've read all of your posts, they are informative. Thank you for that. I think it was your post that introduced me to the Parabellum/X-Creen combo.

I like a good breeze while I'm riding. The Parabellum just looks huge so I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to suffocate in 90+ degree weather. My wife is going to get a breeze no matter what, being outside of the bubble.

Just to clarify, the X-Creen "XCTA" Touring spoiler is the one that I want to go with the Parabellum?

Is there any chance at all that the Quiet Ride system will be brought back?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,185 Posts
Yes, it is the X-creen Touring version.

Once you ride a bike with a really good aero package ( and you will want the deflectors on this bike ) you won't settle for "quite a bit of air onto you". At lower speeds, short distances that is just fine. But if riding the highways at speed the difference a good windshield ( and seat ) make is hard to believe until experienced.

Remember when drilling ANY acrylic windshield you should use a step drill bit. The ones that look like Christmas trees, with one cutting edge. Conventional bits will bite in too quickly and that makes it very easy to crack the screen.

I spent a small fortune thinking the Quiet Ride screen would be great for V STrom owners that go on long trips. My mistake. There are simply very few who actually do that, so sales didn't support the effort. No chance of returning them to market.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Deflectors are in my plans and thanks for the reminder on the step bit. I've got one around here somewhere.

I find that hard to believe. Long distance rides are my absolute favorite. I try to make one big trip every year and have been doing so for a number of years. This year, October, I'm heading east to the Appalachian Mountains to ride. The VStrom does quite well on the open road and in traffic. It's my favorite long hauler thus far. Personally, I'd be happy to stick with the stock windscreen, but a happy wife means more saddle time.

I understand supply and demand, it's unfortunate that it didn't work out for you. Thanks for your advice. I'm probably going to go with the Parabellum/X-Creen combo unless someone can change my mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone else who rides 2up often? Do you have an opinion of the 2 windshields I mentioned a few posts up? I'm thinking about ordering the Parabellum tomorrow.

·
Registered
810 Posts
This was a comment in a thread in the Gen3 forum HERE and HERE discussing my post #2123 in the Gen2 Buffeting Thread here.

Interesting theory but the empirical evidence is that the windshield and the mirrors are the cause of the buffeting.
Empirical evidence in the 2012-2016 Buffeting Wars thread (w/ 2000+ posts) indicate it's both. "Fixes" include windshield, mirrors and winglets to block or modify flow over and along the side of the fairing.

How could those small vents effect the airstream over the windshield?
They don't, not directly anyway. No one cares about clean air hitting the shoulders or top of the helmet. What causes buffeting is when two air streams collide and the air start swirling around. With the defective vent design the lower flow along the side of the fairing and tank is too strong and clashing with the flow around the windshield. The two streams are equal enough in strength that turbulence is the result. If it was just a problem of the air stream over the windshield then the "barn door" windshield solutions would work 100% but they don't. Making the windshield larger causes a much lower pressure in the pocket between the rider and the fairing which (in conjunction with poorly designed vents) draws in MORE air flow along the side of the fairing thus increasing turbulence which is counter-intuitive. See the attached pic for a diagram of the problem. The goal is to reduce the side fairing/tank flow so the the flow over/beside the wind screen dominates the area between the rider and the fairing thus making a pocket of relatively calm air. The goal is to get rid of the small swirlies behind the box in the picture.

They are there to direct more air over the hot mechanical bits more than likely. Tubes directing the air away defeats the purpose probably.
There is nothing for the vents to cool, it is for aerodynamics. Since the redesign it's for show.

High pressure zone? Uh seems like the entire front end disrupts that, it's not like it's aerodynamic or anything! :grin2:
"High" and "low" pressure in this case is all relative. You are right though, the front end of the bike is a stagnation point.

Attachments

·
Registered
810 Posts
Observation

After posting this I realized that an alternative solution is the beak. The beak, instead of bypassing the flow along the side of the fairing/tank into the vents, increases the velocity of the side air flow so that it accelerates past the rider and the swirlies form behind the rider thus reducing buffeting. I never liked the look of the beak but I would consider adding a beak to reduce the buffeting, looks be damned. I think I read a post where someone added a beak to a Gen2 Wee which is a fairly simple parts swap.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, I had a Parabellum windshield in my "Shopping Cart", but hesitated at the last minute. Looking at their photo on their website, it looks like I'd have the same problem as with the Cal-Sci that I bought and returned. My Barkbusters hit the Cal-Sci well before full-lock, and the Parabellum looks like it would be a problem as well. (In fact, they include a cheap set of mirror extenders and acknowledge that the mirrors would hit otherwise.) Their photo shows a V-Strom with NO handguards.

http://parabellum.com/Assets/ProductImages/Parabellum-Suzuki-VStrom-650-2012-Windshield_m1.jpg

So I called them, and they said that they no longer had the bike available that was used in the photos, and also mentioned (about the Barkbusters), that "I guess you'll just have to weigh your priorities, smooth airflow, or handguards." Well, the Barkbusters HAVE come in useful on a couple of drops, plus they keep my hands drier in the rain, and warmer during cold weather. I'm not getting rid of them! Just playing around with the bike in the garage, it sure does look like they'll hit, judging by the photos.

Parabellum did say that they have a 30-day return policy, but I'm not sure I want to waste my time (and theirs). I've been running the Madstad bracket and Adventure shield for a few years now, which works MOST of the time, but not ALL the time. God knows how many times I've stopped at roadside to fiddle with the damn thing, up-down-forward-back, this angle that angle, blah blah blah. I seriously think that part of the problem, is that the entire rig is too far forward from the rider, and that hole that it punches in the airstream is already starting to close back up and swirl around, before it gets to the rider. And I DO always wear earplugs and a full-face helmet, but my tinnitus continues to get worse.

Funny thing- while I had the windshield off, I went for a short ride yesterday. Guess what? Smooth, quiet air! I did experience a lot more cold air hitting my helmet (it was 38 degrees F at the time), but man it was SO much better than any of the windshields I've tried so far.

I'm just shy of 50,000 miles on my V-Strom, and it's really been a great bike, but this wind management business is getting frustrating. This past Summer I took a couple of my best trips to date, including about a 3,000 mile run into Maine, with a couple of 700 and 800+ mile days; some of that turnpike riding was pretty harsh on my aging ears. Wish I could solve this dilemma! :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 that I purchased brand new last summer and was excited to have a bike with a wind screen. My other bike is a Royal Enfield 500 Classic Chrome, which I love. My first ride on the Strom was miserable.....loved the power.....could not believe the buffeting. I stopped at a gun shop to buy ear plugs it was so loud, besides my head getting bounced around. I basically almost never rode the bike since it was intolerable, and I considered selling it before I have 500 miles. After reading this thread I purchased a Puig screen from Revzilla, about $125 on sale at the time, and it helped, maybe 50% better but still no fun to ride. Then I tried a set of cheap mirror extenders, I think about $15 from Amazon, and LO and BEHOLD......a huge improvement! I was gonna write the forum and ask why no one had told me this.......but you had and I had mostly ignored it. How could the mirrors be that bad? They are! So, that got me to maybe 80% to where I needed to be to keep the bike. Then I tried one of those Motoparty deflectors from Amazon, about $35. Now I can ride the bike and enjoy it. The buffeting is not totally gone but I think 90 to 95%. i am 6'1 so a little taller in the saddle than some. I think a 5'10' or less person would be thrilled with the solutions I went with. I haven't taken it on any long trips yet........in the planning stages of a trip to Cape Bretton Island from NJ, and maybe on to Newfoundland. But this will be 4 years from now when I am retired. I will probably take the Enfield to Maine this Summer, all back roads and very little highway. Doing the BRP on the Enfield, as I did last year. Anyway, thanks for all the help, as usual.
9fingers

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I used the mirror mounts from Richland Rick's and like you it made a difference. I also went to the Aprilia mirrors which helped. My MotoTech City tank bag mad a big difference in the wind and buffetting on my chest. First windshield attempt was the Givi Airflow AF3101 which gets good reviews from a lot of people. Not me. Then I tried an 18" Parabellum windshield which I special ordered and my thoughts were wrong so worse than the Givi. Replace that with a 21" Parabellum. Still not real happy. OK, let's burn some more cash. I got a Werks 24" Adventure shield. FINALLY, It did as advertised. Problem Is I think they quit making it. You may want to check. I am 5'4" with a 28" inseam. I rode around the Great Lakes with this setup and it was great. I also rode to Cape Breton on it (5th time up there from NE Ohio) then caught the ferry and rode from south eastern Newfoundland around the perimeter up to Lance aux' Meadows and down to the western ferry and back. Recommendations are: Ride the Cabot trail both ways. Why? Because it is great either way. I prefer to stay at Ocean View in Cheticamp. Very bike friendly and the view is great. Unfortunately the restaurant next door was not as good as it was the times prior when I was there last. Hope it has improved.

2201 - 2219 of 2219 Posts