StromTrooper banner

2181 - 2200 of 2257 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Regarding light transmission from the headlights, through the shield, yes I have had shields do that at night- a very noticeable and distracting line of light all along the top edge. I have tried black paint along the bottom edge, but couldn't make it cover well enough- maybe wrong kind of paint? But for what it's worth, several years ago I talked on the phone to a rep from Cal-Sci, and he recommended simply hitting the bottom edge of the shield with some fine grit (~200 ?) sandpaper. I followed his advice and it worked like a charm. (I did not actually buy a Cal-Sci shield at that time!)

Now, last Fall, I was about to buy one of RealShelby's shields, but I snoozed on it and missed out. So I thought to try a Cal-Sci, and bought one to fit 2012-2016 model years (my bike is a 2012), unlike how Madstad brackets are made to accomodate Gen-1 shields. Cal-Sci supplies their own proprietary brackets, and I found out that, using their hardware, the Barkbusters could not go full lock without hitting. I did give it a short run anyway, but didn't think it worked any better than the Madstad bracket with Adventure shield that I've been using for the last several years. Also, the shield that I got from Cal-Sci did not have the venturi cut-out (or whatever they call it, I forget).

Your use of the Cal-Sci shield, PLUS a Madstad bracket, is something I have not tried. I considered it briefly, but wasn't about to drill extra holes in the thing and make it non-returnable. And it's one of those things now where, the more money gets spent looking for "perfection", the more diminishing the returns! Looks like a good set-up though, enjoy! :thumbup1:
Thanks for the sandpaper tip. Between realshelby's paint and your sandpaper, I should be OK.
I tried an OEM Adventure shield and it just didn't work for me no matter where I adjusted it.
I ran the medium Cal-Sci on their brackets for two seasons but kept yearning for something adjustable.
What size Cal-Sci did you try?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I want to say it was an 18" Cal-Sci. Not 100% sure though, and I don't have access to any of my "farkle paperwork depository" right now. :p
For what it's worth I'm about 5'08" ( older & shorter all the time! :bom_tongue3: ), 32 inseam, and alternate between a Sargent seat and Terry Adcox custom. Like I mentioned elsewhere, I may yet throw an MRA adjustable spoiler on top the Madstad and see what happens. Got a new toy though (2018 DR650), so I may be spending more time with that one for a while. Put away for the winter and still not even broke in yet! :headbang:

My Strom's a 2012, "Fox Orange", I like your gray one a lot. (And super clean!) I've done a little riding your way, stayed at the inn at Pokagon State Park, nice area. Also enjoyed the area along the Ohio River, around Rising Sun and along that way. Very lightly populated in some parts, enjoyable riding. Would like to check out some of those covered bridges you guys have so many of!

OK sorry to side track this thread, back to "Windscreens & Buffeting"!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Still a few weeks away from riding but thinking of one way to make this season a bit better. I am currently using a Vstream windscreen. I cut off 3 inches a couple of years ago and I'm now looking at that 3 in. cutoff, wondering how I could make an adjustable spoiler out of it.
Has anyone found some hardware that could be adapted? Replacement stuff form MRA and Puig is a little too pricey for my experiment. I'm headin' down to Home Depot this afternoon to look around.....

Sp56

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the orig V Strom windshield....Ya it is wind, part of the fun I have had so many bikes and have tried this and that just gave up whatever they put on it is fine. peace

·
Registered
11 Posts
2016 California Scientific experience- I purchased a large Cal scientific wind screen about 8 months ago, mounted it in the lowest holes and at 5’10” I look about 4 inches above the shield. I found this to be a great improvement over the stock shield, wind on top of helmet instead of in my chest. I have not found buffeting to be a problem , at least no more than stock. Wind still heavy on the arms and hands makes me want extensions on the side because this shield is no help with that. Overall the shield is high quality, very thick, and the hole in the shield gives good ventilation. I only have this one to compare to, but no regrets buying from these guys.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Givi Airflow won't work very well at all at higher speeds and in turbulent air. Even after modifications are made. Great at lower speeds and on back roads. Not so much on interstates.
I beg to differ. I have spent 8ish or so hours doing 60-75 mph with the screen and felt just fine at the end. I'm 6'2", BTW.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,289 Posts
I beg to differ. I have spent 8ish or so hours doing 60-75 mph with the screen and felt just fine at the end. I'm 6'2", BTW.
Ride state roads at those speeds and the Givi is ok.

Ride interstates at 75 mph around the turbulence from traffic, crosswinds, headwinds and I will have to beg to differ! I literally removed the upper part on a trip back from the Rally one year to get into cleaner air. Under certain conditions that screen is good, but it can be really awful under other conditions. The stock screen is far worse of course!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well, I finally got to test my new combo of medium Cal-Sci shield and Madstad bracket. Can you say infinite adjustments! I found a position where I get lots of air for summer riding as well as quiet riding with my visor open at 70mph. The venturi cut out on the shield allows air to hit my chest only in the highest position. Should I ever want to run the shield all the way up and forward; I thought I'd check my options. I contacted Steven at Cal-Sci and he said to get some .020 polycarb and cut it 2" larger than the cut out and affix with marine velcro.
Overall, this set-up along with the wind-deflectors I got from them should take the fatigue factor out of my long distance highway cruises as well as cooling me down when it's 90 in July.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I screwed up, lol, I recently purchased a 2006 wee. Found some items for sale and bought them all. They were off a 2012 wee. One of the items is a Madstad windshield and the brackets, along with the center stand a Suzuki top box and the mounting bracket. If anyone is interested they are for sale or trade. I know this is on the wrong page but this discussion is endless and all for the good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am sure that someone has already said this but I was having lots of wind noise and buffeting with my 2013 wee's stock screen at middle setting. I raised it up to highest set of holes and there is a world of difference... I can even hear my stock exhaust until about 60mph with my visor down! For reference I am 6'4" and ride in Wyoming with 60mph crosswinds most of the time

·
Registered
155 Posts
My 2015 came with a MRA touring screen installed (the one with adjustable spoiler). The PO also included the OEM windshield so today I swapped them out just so I could feel the difference for myself. I made my way to the freeway and cruised along at about 115 kph. I now understand what the buffeting issues are all about. It felt like someone was rapidly smacking the sides of my helmet, enough to make my vision jittery.I was in the highway for 20 minutes and that was more than enough. I can’t imagine going on a long tour like that. Back to the MRA!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Madstad for 2015 wee

Can you get just the madstad bracket for the 2015 wee? When I go to their web page it says unavailable in the drop down section. You can order bracket and windscreen, but, it says unavailable for bracket only. Do you have to buy the whole package with their windscreen only or can you use other windscreens if you can buy the bracket? I left a message but heard back from madstad yet.
Thanks

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,289 Posts
There is some confusion with the 2012-2016 DL 650. Yes, they make a Madstad bracket. BUT...they decided the bolt pattern to attach the screen would be for the 2004-2011 DL 650 and 1000. A screen for a 2012-2016 will not fit the Madstad bracket. So, they are probably forcing you to order as a kit to get around what I imagine is a long list of pissed customers that bought a screen elsewhere that didn't fit!

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Givi airflow on my 2014 Wee solved 95% of buffeting. Fully extended I can comfortably tuck under the turbulance at 80 mph, slower speeds I'll drop it to feel more wind on my face.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After a 4000 km (2500 miles) trip with the Givi Airflow last summer I still experienced buffeting at its highest setting. With it set to the lowest setting the head wind is more consistent, which is more tolerable for me. At its lowest setting, it still may be beneficial over the original windscreen, in part due to the Venturi effect.

I'm 192 cm, (6'3 with an inseam of 34-36 inches).

·
Registered
20 Posts
A bought the mid-sized V-Stream screen and it reduced much of the noise and turbulence above 60 mph but I was hoping for better. I also wanted to be able to adjust the height without having the dig out the allen wrench and thought it would be nice if I could angle the windshield back a bit like Madstad users.

So, for a few bucks on Amazon I got some m5x70mm bolts with a knob head - these are about 25mm longer than the stock ones. This allowed me to stack about 20mm worth of washers under the bottom windshield mounts, effectively tilting back the windshield. This change made all the difference for me. Buffeting is gone, wind noise is greatly reduced at all speeds, and I can remove/adjust the screen without tools. It aint perfect but Im happy.

Here is a link to the bolts with knob heads: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JHN7YXY/

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got Madstad on my 2004. I'm 5'10". I have played with that thing for weeks and still get the crap rattled out of my head above 70mph. I adjust the height to just below eye level so I am barely looking over it. I have tried all the way upright and that seems the worst. The best seems to be raked back almost all the way with the same height. Still trying to find that sweet spot.

2181 - 2200 of 2257 Posts