StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 2221 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cee Baileys will have a new windshield out next week. They have been using my bike to pattern out ect. I will get my bike back on Wednesday with the shield. They are taking pictures on Monday and Tuesday. What do I get? A windshield for my bike for free and fifty dollars a day for loss of bike. It will be a week on Wednesday. They should have pictures up on their site then. My bike is the slower one but beautiful one (midnight black with blue highlights). Just thought you might like another option.

Respectfully, Doug

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Keep us posted and show some pics, I'm not a fan of CB's windshields, but at your price I would be! I've seen several of them get stress cracks around the mounting holes, this varies as to the bike model, but another option would be nice, I'm waiting for National Cycle or Rifle to make something. My MRA works good enough, I just wish it was about 6" taller. Cheers--BB

·
Registered
635 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but we could use an all encompassing "windshield" thread and this title covers that.

Has anyone seen this outfit?

WindStrom Windshield for Suzuki V-Strom, Yamaha Tenere, BMW R1200GS motorcycle

Seems to be a well built unit that works with OR without the Madstad bracket on the new 2012. That would be great to be able to get it without the bracket and then add it later. About $200 plus $25 shipping.

They also have an additional lip you can order for an extra $120...

It looks like a happy medium between some of the more radical screens and the more modest ones.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just got the California Scientific (CalSci) shield for the 2012 DL650 and it's very nice. No Madstad needed, which is good for me since I have the SW-Motech GPS mount that went with the stock shield. Designed by Caltech rocket scientists who ride motorcycles (no kidding).

I'll take some pics next week (I just put it on today and 'm leaving on a trip early tomorrow morning) but the pics they have on their own website is pretty much it. At 6' 2" with a 34" inseam they told me I should get a size Large, and according to their estimated size chart it'd be between a Large and a Medium. I got a Large shield and mounted in the lowest setting, and took it for a brief test ride on the highway earlier today. Much less pressure on my shoulders and head, but somewhat more sensitivity to crosswinds due to the larger shield that I'm sure I'll get used to.

BTW I like the little touch that the mounting screws come with black snap-on covers that look great - better than silver screw heads or even the OEM shield's inset screw wells.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I have the Madstd on the 2012, have tried the 22inch GIVI. Shiels is a bit too tall for comfortable riding. I ordered the 18inch Givi from PWD, should be just right for wife and me. Until then I am using the stock '08 on the '12 Glee.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

I did the same thing Andreas - I had a Madstad and a Givi 260 on my '09 Strom -and it was perfect t - but, too tall on my new '12 Strom - I cannot see over the screen... i am thinking of going with the Madstad 18". I am 5'10", but I have a tall torso, and large head (XL Schoei RF1000 helmet.)

Let us know how the new setup works for you...

--John

·
Registered
220 Posts
This is an excellent thread! I am going to wait for mirror extenders to come in (which is supposed to help a little with wind noise) and then see how bad the wind is. If then, I will get the Manta windshield as it seems to be the best for now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wait a minute - Andreas - did you say 18" Givi? Which one is that? I do not see it on PWD website...

--John
John - Just to clarify, I currently only carry the 22" Givi. I'm working on putting a combo together that will include the MadStad Bracket for the Wee2 and an 18" windshield. I mentioned that to Andreas and he placed an order in advance for the 18" windshield. The 18" windshield will not be a Givi. I'll post here when I have the details worked out.

Gary

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello,

I have some info. about the Madstad and the Givi 260 screen... After speaking with Mark at Madstad, I drilled an additional hole in the screen - 3 1/2" above the higher hole in the current Givi... so that reduces the screen to the equivalent of about 18.9" - as the 260 is 22.4". My conclusion is that any screen used with a Madstad on a '12 'Strom needs to be about 19" to be at the same height as the Givi 260 was with the older 'Stroms.

I rode about 20 miles with it today at various speeds - up to 80 mph indicated, and it was pretty stable, with very minimal buffeting at the high end of that speed range... I plan to go for a ride with a group tomorrow, so I will have more feedback... one thing I wonder about the Madstad, and I probably need to speak with Mark about this, is: are there more of the well nuts available, as there are more holes in the Madstad for different positioning of the shield... there are 3 sets of well nuts (6 total - one on each side) that come with the unit, but I don't think they are removable so they can be moved... having the well nuts in the additional holes on the Madstad could provide more range of vertical positioning of the shield...

--John

·
Registered
55 Posts
John - The well nuts are removable. They push in through the back side rather than pull out the front. To put them back in you'll have to squeeze the flange and push it back through from the back side. You might need a little screwdriver to help push it through the hole, but be careful not to pierce through the rubber.

Gary

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks Mark,

Stupid me!...I wish I had thought of that before I drilled the holes in the shield... I moved the well nuts to the upper most holes on the Madstad, and it looks like it is in perfect position...

I will be testing it today - I am going on a long ride with my cruiser friends - can't wait for the ribbing I will get showing up with a V... the ribbing stops, though, when I take them out in the twisties ...:thumb up:

Thanks for your help... all hail PWD :yes nod:

--John

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the Suzuki vario windshield that came with the Adv. with it in the highest position and with the wing adjusted it was " almost " right for me. The wind flow buffeted right at the top of my helmet. So tonight I marked the shield at the center holes and drilled it out below the factory holes. This raised the windshield one inch or so and it seems to have done the trick. Was not thrilled to drill another set of holes but it was cheaper than the alternative. Just need to find some small plugs for the factory holes I left.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I have the Suzuki vario windshield that came with the Adv. with it in the highest position and with the wing adjusted it was " almost " right for me. The wind flow buffeted right at the top of my helmet. So tonight I marked the shield at the center holes and drilled it out below the factory holes. This raised the windshield one inch or so and it seems to have done the trick. Was not thrilled to drill another set of holes but it was cheaper than the alternative. Just need to find some small plugs for the factory holes I left.
Good job, I've toyed around with doing the same thing, my shield is taller than yours, buy about a couple of inches. It's real close but you may have solved my problem. Lowes might have some plugs you could use to fill the holes. Thanks--BB

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice job, and good thinking! Can you show us a bigger pic of how the windshield looks on the bike with the modification? I may go for this shield after all, if it works. How tall are you?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice job, and good thinking! Can you show us a bigger pic of how the windshield looks on the bike with the modification? I may go for this shield after all, if it works. How tall are you?
I am 6' 220 lbs with a 32 inch inseam. Running a Shoei RF 1000 helmet. I will try and grab some pics later today. I had the windshield set at the highest level and all I did was remove the plugs from the center holes, mark the windshield and drill it with the windshield still on the bike then raised it to the new holes. It just brings it up an inch. Honestly other than the holes it looks no different than it did really.

I believe you could go up yet another inch or so if you wanted. There is no structural issue doing it only looks. And I was getting ready to go after market and put this one on the shelf so I figured why not play with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cee baileys

I am picking up my bike tomorrow from cee baileys. They are taking pictures tomorrow morning so I will see how it looks then. You can probably look at their web site maybe by tuesday.

respectfully, Doug

1 - 20 of 2221 Posts