StromTrooper banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
wind deflectors

I knocked up a set of these deflectors and they do seem to make a difference. Most obvious when cruising 90-100kph.
Took about 45mins.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It is winter here and after reading this thread I went out to the garage and found a piece of Acyrlic that was left over from a boat windshield I had previously made.
I believe it is 1/4" It was easy to form with my heat gun and cut with a jig saw.
The fasteners came from an old Cee Baileys bag of screws and spacers. I had to cut the spacers in half as you can see from the rough cut in the photo.
The small black spacer had the correct shape to fit in the fairing of the DL.
All in all about a 1 hour job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Augustus deflectors arrived here today, safe and sound in the UK! Very professional-looking, printed instructions, replacement bolts and spacers, and look pretty good on the bike! Will take it out after lunch and see what they're like...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mimo265 makes 'em - PM him, his quoted price included postage all the way to the UK, I can't imagine Slovenia would present a problem! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I mounted a set of the Augustus side air deflectors to my 2015 650 with a MadStad WS. They really work well. I am very pleased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Finally had a chance to give the deflectors a real test, and they did not disappoint. No more air pressure on my chest or stomach at all, and my pillion reports a far quieter ride than before. Suzuki need to give this guy a job in their aero department ;)

Or, you know, create an aero department. Because so far they don't seem to be thinking about it at all...

Reactions: G-Dub

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before owning my 2015 650A, I was concerned that I would not be able to get good head and body wind protection on a Vstrom. Following the info I got from this forum, I installed a 22" MadStad Adventure WS, a set of Augustus air deflectors, and a set of Adventure Tech mirror extenders. Now, I am "really" impressed at how good this set up is. No buffetting, very little wind noise even without my ear plugs, and good upper body wind protection. Thanks for all the info. Info note: I am 5' 11" with a 30 inseam.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Roy, glad you're enjoying your 'Strom! The Augustus wind deflectors do make a great difference, not tried the mirror extenders - do you have a link?

If you're still cold I can recommend heated gear - I use Keis heated vest and insoles along with my R&G heated grips. It was 4C on the ride in this morning and I was warm and toasty!

Winter? Bring it on!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It is winter here and after reading this thread I went out to the garage and found a piece of Acyrlic that was left over from a boat windshield I had previously made.
I believe it is 1/4" It was easy to form with my heat gun and cut with a jig saw.
The fasteners came from an old Cee Baileys bag of screws and spacers. I had to cut the spacers in half as you can see from the rough cut in the photo.
The small black spacer had the correct shape to fit in the fairing of the DL.
All in all about a 1 hour job.

Great job Cal. May I ask what are the dementions OD these deflectors and how far you've bent them out?

·
Registered
159 Posts
From front to back they are 6"
top to bottom 5-1/4"
The bend is 30 degrees
Shape was taken from a drawing here on this site, I just held the paper up to the computer screen and traced it, Then I enlarged the tracing to what I felt was the right size.
The tubing on the bottom is siphon hose from beer making, I believe it was 1/4", it fits real tight so hopefully it stays on.
On the top I tried door edging with an adhesive but it would not stick to the acrylic so I'll put some hose on the top also.

If they move around I'll put a larger soft rubber washer next to the fairing to try and hold them still.
No riding here for at least another 2 or 3 months

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks. Any link to this drawing by any chance?
Page 1 of this thread by Mark is the photo I used. I rounded the sharp edges a little. Just trace it and then by eye make it larger, within the size parameters I used or the 6X6 in the photo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I am running the stock windscreen mounted in the highest position. I am also running the stock mirrors, but they are mounted on Richland Rick's mirror extensions.

I've been running this config for over a year. I purchased and installed Mimo256's Augustus Deflectors. This past Saturday was my first ride with them.

Wow, zero buffeting. Mimo265 nailed it.

My ride Saturday was mostly gravel and fire service roads, but I did hit a bit of interstate ( up to 80mph ). I was amazed at being able to hear not only the engine, but the chain, and the tires roaring ( Shinko 705's ). Once I met my OCDWill and we ventured off the pavement I removed my ear plugs as they were no longer needed.

I'm short at 5'7". On the interstate, when I crouched down about 2", the cockpit was silent ( even with my helmet shield up...crappy DS helmet that is very loud - but vents very well in the hot, humid Atlanta temps ). When I straightened my back, it put my helmet right in the air stream. Enough to full the vents and keep me nice cool.

Best ( and cheapest ) mod to date.

Thanks Mimo265.
Second this.

As of last weekend, I was running the Givi Airflow and Adventuretech mirror extenders and still experiencing enough buffeting to be dissatisfied. I'm 5'9" with a 30-in. inseam. I ordered the Augustus deflectors three weeks ago on a Sunday and they were in my mailbox four days later. Excellent turn around time. After a longer bout of rain, I mounted the deflectors up yesterday and went for a three-hour ride. Wow! What a difference. There was almost no buffeting. I say almost because I was also testing out a new helmet with a visor, but still, the buffeting was almost entirely absent. I had my face shield up at 70 mph and was catching no wind at all. Not smart, I know, but I wanted to "see" it for myself. Thank you, Mimo265! You've created a tremendous product and changed my riding experience.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Second this.

As of last weekend, I was running the Givi Airflow and Adventuretech mirror extenders and still experiencing enough buffeting to be dissatisfied. I'm 5'9" with a 30-in. inseam. I ordered the Augustus deflectors three weeks ago on a Sunday and they were in my mailbox four days later. Excellent turn around time. After a longer bout of rain, I mounted the deflectors up yesterday and went for a three-hour ride. Wow! What a difference. There was almost no buffeting. I say almost because I was also testing out a new helmet with a visor, but still, the buffeting was almost entirely absent. I had my face shield up at 70 mph and was catching no wind at all. Not smart, I know, but I wanted to "see" it for myself. Thank you, Mimo265! You've created a tremendous product and changed my riding experience.
This is really encouraging... I'm 5'9' and 30 inseam, too. I have my stock screen in the highest position and have stock mirrors. My deflectors are on the way. :smile2:

I don't really get buffeting with my setup unless I'm doing over 75 mph. And even then it ins't much. I am looking, more or less, to eliminate some of the air that rides up and hits me in the torso and therefore up my neck and into my helmet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here is what works for me: A V-Stream Touring windscreen, Rick's mirror extenders, Ebay end mirrors, and air deflectors. The small mirrors show me what's behind my torso and the big ones show blind spots and the rest. Wind noise on the sides of my helmet has be reduced about 80% and over the top, about 70%. Total cost for the items: about $225. I also have Rick's peg lowering kit which makes the ride much more comfy.

I'm taking the Glee to have the valves inspected today under 2A50 recall.

Attachments

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,228 Posts
I PM'd Augustus and sent PayPal $$$ with info but have not heard a word back from anyone... I'm disappointed at the lack of response/customer service but giving him the benefit of the doubt. I just hope the deflectors show up at my door in the near future.

121 - 140 of 176 Posts