StromTrooper banner

Windproof base layers

3324 34
I'm a big guy, and apparently have a weird body shape. Anyways, looking for windproof base layers. My regular gear is mesh gear, and lately it's been in the 30° F range. Yes, I need to grow a pair, but does anyone have recommendations on what to get?

I will probably be wearing jeans and a sweatshirt or similar on top of the base layer amd under my mesh gear.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
2,745 Posts
The best base layer for staying warm would be Merino.Next best would be a moisture wicking synthetic. Silk is also excellent. You don't want cotton as a base layer. To stay warm, you want to get rid of moisture buildup. I agree with Richlandrick, the final layer should be windproof. Goretex and other specialty fabrics can be windproof and still shed moisture.

· Registered
406 Posts
RR is right. (That makes him RRR)

My approach is, from my hide out:
Synthetic moisture wicking fabrics
Synthetic insulating fabrics
Synthetic pants, shirt
Extra insulating layer(s) as needed
Protective gear
Rain gear on top when wind block needed.

Protective layer is mesh over pressure suit on upper body, knee protection on lower. Need to add hip and tailbone protection next.

Quite comfortable for me.

· Registered
251 Posts
You can try to fit a pair of latex/nitrile gloves over riding gloves but I usually do it the other way around
Keeps fingers warm in a pinch. Yes, moisture buildup but beats the wind chill

· Registered
51 Posts
GoreTex outlayer if possible.
Waterproof and breathable.

I'll go skiing (under 30F) with insulating layers and a good goretex raincoat with great results.
A packable rain jacket should be part of your gear anyway, and is great for wind protection.

· Registered
406 Posts
BigBoy,
Cost effective indeed. I'm still using up rain gear that I brought home when I sold the fishing business. Except for the pressure suit and mesh riding gear I wore the same layers when I fished for a living, but rain gear was always the top layer. Yes, I wore knee pads then but they weren't as robust as the ones I wear on the moto.

· Registered
59 Posts
A lot has been covered already. I ride year around and in temps in 30's and 40's in the winter. I have mesh gear (Klim) for spring/summer/fall and dedicated winter gear (Tourmaster). When I am just on a ride, I do wear synthetic base layer, electric gear, then an insulation later and outer gear (Tourmaster in this case). When going to work, no synthetic base layer, so the electric gear is more important then. Electric pant liners (first gear), electric jacket liner (first gear), and electric gloves (gerbing).

Not only a tad older, but also have metal in my body from orthopedic surgery so staying warm is kinda important ;)

Staying warm makes a big difference in regards to rider safety - when properly outfitted it seriously reduces rider fatigue.

Happy riding!

· Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
665 Posts
There is no base layer that will protect you from the cold, once the outer layer gets cold. Because the heat inside your base layer just radiates out and is absorbed by the outer layer. Result is you get freezing.

Also, there is no Outer Layer either that will protect you from temps below 45 degrees plus wind chill. Nothing. Expose yourself to that for long enough and you will get freezing. No Hippo Hands, nothing.

The best and only protection from prolonged exposure to cold and wind is active heated gear. The 12-volt kind. Quit wasting your time layering up, looking for the holy grail of wind and cold protection. Dump all that crap and pony up for the heated full jacket liner, plus heated gloves. You can ride all day in the 20's F with this stuff wearing only a long sleeve T-shirt underneath, the heated gear, and your riding jacket (not Mesh) and pants. You can add the pant layer and wool socks and you will be nice and toasty. It's a total game changer. You will arrive at your destination in Alaska feeling fresh, not sick and exhausted from freezing your tail off!

· Registered
51 Posts
Also, there is no Outer Layer either that will protect you from temps below 45 degrees plus wind chill. Nothing. Expose yourself to that for long enough and you will get freezing. No Hippo Hands, nothing.
Um, I beg to differ. I ride to work comfortably well below 45F. 45 minute commute, sometimes moist. ALWAYS windy since I'm on my bike.
A base layer, and a lofty insulating layer, topped with windproof layer... I'm toasty.

I've certainly skied enough and hung out apres ski in just such layers for hours without "freezing"....

· Registered
797 Posts
There is no base layer that will protect you from the cold, once the outer layer gets cold. Because the heat inside your base layer just radiates out and is absorbed by the outer layer. Result is you get freezing.

Can't say I'd agree with that. I regularly ride down to about -10C (14F) , and I don't own any heated gear. I wear Klim snowmobile gloves, a merino wool base layer, a wool sweater my grandma knit for me decades ago, my mesh riding jacket, and the rain jacket to block the wind. For my legs it's jeans (i know, cotton, bad idea) mesh pants and the rain gear over top.

The thing about cold weather activities is that it's all about your individual comfort. We all react differently to cold, and you shouldn't choose your gear based on what I or anyone else says is best. Get what makes you comfortable. One of my cold weather riding partners rides in much less than I do, another has full heated gear. All three of us claim to be comfortable.

The part of @OCL's post that I do agree with is that once you've found what make you comfortable:

You will arrive at your destination in Alaska feeling fresh, not sick and exhausted from freezing your tail off!
That's the key. Wear as much or as little as you need to be warm and comfortable, and you can ride as far as you want. But you MUST be warn and comfortable. Don't try to tough out the cold, that won't end well.

· Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
665 Posts
So basically...

Quit being a bitch, underarmour coldgear, tshirt, sweatshirt, and mesh jacket. Sweatpants, jeans, meshpants. Got it.
Nah you're not being a bitch. It's miserable when you're cold.

Why Mesh jacket and pants? You won't retain much heat wearing that in the cold. Even a small Mesh opening on the jacket lets in a lot of cold air if the panels are opened.

· Premium Member
2015 CB300F
6,384 Posts
Get a ColdPruf base layer under the mesh and live happy.
Also any rain jacket shell over the mesh will keep you warm but not as well as merino.

and
COTTON KILLS.
Lots of us have ridden for hours in near freezing temps with the correct layering ....some even below freezing ...one of them is a mod here. But cotton is deadly ...literally..

· Premium Member
2,745 Posts

The best and only protection from prolonged exposure to cold and wind is active heated gear. The 12-volt kind. Quit wasting your time layering up, looking for the holy grail of wind and cold protection. Dump all that crap and pony up for the heated full jacket liner, plus heated gloves. You can ride all day in the 20's F with this stuff wearing only a long sleeve T-shirt underneath, the heated gear, and your riding jacket (not Mesh) and pants. You can add the pant layer and wool socks and you will be nice and toasty. It's a total game changer. You will arrive at your destination in Alaska feeling fresh, not sick and exhausted from freezing your tail off!
I dunno, I spend the whole winter skiing and I am good to at least 0f all day with say 3 breaks. I have clothes that I can work outside in Winnipeg in the winter in when I go full arctic mode. (-35f ). But you are right, nothing like that heated gear. Really like my Warm and Safe jacket and socks.

· Registered
206 Posts
in 20-40 degrees, i run with a underarmour #4 top and bottom, overlayed with heated Gerbing liner and gloves topped off with regular moto jacket and moto over pants. In the coldest I top off with a rain suit top and bottom to block the wind. I may get crazy looks, but I'm warmer than being in my car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts