StromTrooper banner

141 - 145 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a standard screen and have altered the position of the standard mirrors slightly and I get no buffeting.
I was out in rain this morning and there wasnt even enough breeze to blow the few rain drops off my visor.
I'm 6ft (1.83m) tall. I dont understand how so many can be complaining about buffetting.
Its a motorbike. If I want to sit in a bubble of still air, I go out in my car

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a standard screen and have altered the position of the standard mirrors slightly and I get no buffeting.
I was out in rain this morning and there wasnt even enough breeze to blow the few rain drops off my visor.
I'm 6ft (1.83m) tall. I dont understand how so many can be complaining about buffetting.
Its a motorbike. If I want to sit in a bubble of still air, I go out in my car
what year is your bike? Mine is the first year 2002 and I get tremendous wind noise and buffeting...now to be fair I have no idea what brand screen is on it as I doubt it's stock but it isn't very good! I thought I read that later year improved somewhat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nationalcycle was a no! Ok so I bought one of these cheap extensions just to give it a try. Figured it wasn't much money so what the heck.

The problem is the hardware came pre-assembled but NOT to the windscreen (as I've seen in some videos) and I'm not sure how to take it apart. Videos from Revzilla show the hardware mostly in pieces except for the bolt on piece that connects to the windscreen extension...that is pre-assembled onto the windscreen extension.

Anybody buy one of these and have to first take the hardware apart in order to install it?

for those that may still look here on occasion, I received the windscreen extension and managed to get it on the bike. Was a problem getting it apart first and luckily in the process I was refunded my money because a mile into the first ride, one of the elbows came apart and pieces flew out! lol It was too quick for a proper assessment but I kind of felt like it was making a difference. I've since ordered another one, hopefully it won't fall apart also! I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime I did look up Givi and their airflow screen is made for 2004 or 2005 and up so I can't use that on my 02....or that is my assumption. If this does work, I don't think I'll have much choice but to try the Madstad!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,242 Posts
I have had a California Scientific XL windscreen on my 2007 Vee for almost 2 years.

Here's the thing: at maximum height, it DOES indeed put most of the turbulent junk air up and over my helmet, and that helps a lot on the interstate.

There is also an absolutely incredible, wonderful zone behind the windshield that is nearly dead quiet. As in, if I put my helmet there, almost the only sound I hear is engine noise. It is truly glorious.

Here's why I'm said: that zone is so far forward that I can only get my head it in it by leaning forward. Such a position is not sustainable, as you can imagine. It is not safe to stay there anyway, as I cannot see what's behind me in my mirrors. Not without moving my head so far to the side that it's right in the wind blast.

Is there any way to bring the "zone of quiet" farther back?

I've tried tilting the windshield backward (it's on a Madstad bracket). That doesn't work for 2 reasons:

1) It brings the zone of disturbed air low enough to hit my helmet when I'm sitting up straight.

2) it brings the windshield back far enough that the handguards can hit it, with the handlebars at full lock. Not a big problem at speed, but annoying when I want to maneuver at low speed.

141 - 145 of 145 Posts