StromTrooper banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a standard screen and have altered the position of the standard mirrors slightly and I get no buffeting.
I was out in rain this morning and there wasnt even enough breeze to blow the few rain drops off my visor.
I'm 6ft (1.83m) tall. I dont understand how so many can be complaining about buffetting.
Its a motorbike. If I want to sit in a bubble of still air, I go out in my car

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a standard screen and have altered the position of the standard mirrors slightly and I get no buffeting.
I was out in rain this morning and there wasnt even enough breeze to blow the few rain drops off my visor.
I'm 6ft (1.83m) tall. I dont understand how so many can be complaining about buffetting.
what year is your bike? Mine is the first year 2002 and I get tremendous wind noise and buffeting...now to be fair I have no idea what brand screen is on it as I doubt it's stock but it isn't very good! I thought I read that later year improved somewhat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nationalcycle was a no! Ok so I bought one of these cheap extensions just to give it a try. Figured it wasn't much money so what the heck.

The problem is the hardware came pre-assembled but NOT to the windscreen (as I've seen in some videos) and I'm not sure how to take it apart. Videos from Revzilla show the hardware mostly in pieces except for the bolt on piece that connects to the windscreen extension...that is pre-assembled onto the windscreen extension.

Anybody buy one of these and have to first take the hardware apart in order to install it?

for those that may still look here on occasion, I received the windscreen extension and managed to get it on the bike. Was a problem getting it apart first and luckily in the process I was refunded my money because a mile into the first ride, one of the elbows came apart and pieces flew out! lol It was too quick for a proper assessment but I kind of felt like it was making a difference. I've since ordered another one, hopefully it won't fall apart also! I'll let you know how it goes. In the meantime I did look up Givi and their airflow screen is made for 2004 or 2005 and up so I can't use that on my 02....or that is my assumption. If this does work, I don't think I'll have much choice but to try the Madstad!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,835 Posts
I have had a California Scientific XL windscreen on my 2007 Vee for almost 2 years.

Here's the thing: at maximum height, it DOES indeed put most of the turbulent junk air up and over my helmet, and that helps a lot on the interstate.

There is also an absolutely incredible, wonderful zone behind the windshield that is nearly dead quiet. As in, if I put my helmet there, almost the only sound I hear is engine noise. It is truly glorious.

Here's why I'm said: that zone is so far forward that I can only get my head it in it by leaning forward. Such a position is not sustainable, as you can imagine. It is not safe to stay there anyway, as I cannot see what's behind me in my mirrors. Not without moving my head so far to the side that it's right in the wind blast.

Is there any way to bring the "zone of quiet" farther back?

I've tried tilting the windshield backward (it's on a Madstad bracket). That doesn't work for 2 reasons:

1) It brings the zone of disturbed air low enough to hit my helmet when I'm sitting up straight.

2) it brings the windshield back far enough that the handguards can hit it, with the handlebars at full lock. Not a big problem at speed, but annoying when I want to maneuver at low speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was out in rain this morning and there wasn't even enough breeze to blow the few rain drops off my visor.
I'm 6ft (1.83m) tall. I don't understand how so many can be complaining about buffering.
I am 6 ft tall to; and I came from driving a naked motorcycle, so as you I was wondering all the fuss regarding the buffering. This weekends ride, got to learn what was all about.
In my case, in did about 70 mph and above, there is a turbulence that is not normal even on a naked bike. I think that it is related to the windshield and mirrors shape. Clearly Suzuki did not used a wind tunnel when designing the DL1000.
My self, will change first the mirrors (Don´t like them anyway), and try OEM windshield in top height position, will report after that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had my 06 Strom 1000 for 9 years and spent the first four or five messing with the windshield. I found that in the winter the Givi works well, but in the summer I like more wind on me and that was what was a problem. first I cut down the OEM, that worked better, but when I extended the bottom of the shield out a few CM that really took away the buffeting. Now I have a short shield for summer and the larger Givi for winter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
02-03 DL1000 Cheap EBay windshield

This is post is show just show my findings and offerings of an affordable Windshield option for us Vintage Strommers.

So I purchased my DL1000 This winter and have been sorting it out properly. But one of the last things I was really struggling with like many is the horrible buffeting and shaken baby syndrome from the windshield but did not Feel like shelling out tons f cash to experiment. Bike came with a Givi tall on it, and I am 6' and was a no go. I ordered a cheap lexan lip and tried that and is helped slightly but not much. SO I kept seeing a cheap Fleabay Hong Kong double bubble windshield for $36.00 so I figured I would take the gamble.

The windshield review:Received the Windshield in 11 days after ordering from Hong Kong, and was very surprised that it actually fit perfectly, and overall looks like fantastic quality. No scratches, mark, tooling, or anything like that. Initial ride report around town buffeting gone. Highway still get a little side to side movement, but a "yuge" improvement over my prior set up. So I installed the Lip I had purchased prior and around town was amazing. No buffeting at any speed around town. Highway almost none. You can tell with a big cross breeze it wants to cut through but makes turbulence. But overall I am extremely impressed with both the shield and the lip and figured I would post to offer other an affordable option for the OG Stroms.

Link to windshield: Windscreen for Suzuki V-Strom DL650 DL1000 02 03 04 Windshield Fairing 33#G | eBay

Link to Lip: Adjustable Clip On Windshield Extension Spoiler For V-Strom 650 V-Strom 1000 ABS | eBay

If you have any questions lemme know

I know this post is several years old now, but I just ordered one of these cheapy windshields from Ebay. Was hoping to test it out soon, but we just got about 5" of snow dropped on us today. Road salt is what keeps me from riding; not the temp. When I bought my 2002, it had the tall Givi shield on it. I'm 6'4", and the shield isn't working for me. I hope the plan outlined above works well enough for me. The Madstad will be the final try if this fails.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I finally got the correct brackets and was able to install my Madstad windscreen today. Worth every penny!

I still need to do a bit of fine tuning but light years better... no buffeting and much quieter.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I finally got the correct brackets and was able to install my Madstad windscreen today. Worth every penny!

I still need to do a bit of fine tuning but light years better... no buffeting and much quieter.

Excellent! I will be putting mine on fairly soon, but won't be able to ride until spring, I expect. When you get you setting figured out, can you share them, please? I will use them of a "preset" on mine.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Excellent! I will be putting mine on fairly soon, but won't be able to ride until spring, I expect. When you get you setting figured out, can you share them, please? I will use them of a "preset" on mine.

Thanks,
Glenn
I set it to 60 degrees, as recommended, and I set the height so it comes to about my chin. Still playing with it but I'm blown away at the difference. It's so quiet I can hear so much more on the bike. Very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I set it to 60 degrees, as recommended, and I set the height so it comes to about my chin. Still playing with it but I'm blown away at the difference. It's so quiet I can hear so much more on the bike. Very happy with my purchase.
Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: S391

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
A question for those that have this set up. What is your height, inseam, seat on bike (stock, Sargent etc.) and do you look over the shield or through it? I like the tint options but don't want to be blind at night if I'm having to look through it.

Thanks!
Yeah, the tint was to much for me and I had to go clear. It added an increased difficulty after dusk.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've tried several setups. I really like the stock windscreen with Madstad laid back so it is out of my line of sight. Keeps clean air on my helmet. No issues with visibility, fogging up, tint, etc.

·
Registered
2002 DL1000 K2 - K&N Filter, MTC Stainless/Carbon Race cans with DB Killers, PowerCommander FC.
50 Posts
I apologise is this has already been covered - I did search however I found nothing!
I have a K2 Vee (2002) which I've just broken the screen of and am looking for a replacement. As there seem to be far more options for the slightly later DLs ('04 on), I'm considering how feasible it would be to modify the fairing to take a later screen?
Has anyone done this?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I bought a Madstadt mount and screen used from a member here. Check with Madstadt to see if they still sell the adapter. Best solution.

Failing that, I still have the stock screen from my 2002 that I'm not using. Shipping cost across the pond might not be pretty.

·
Registered
2002 DL1000 K2 - K&N Filter, MTC Stainless/Carbon Race cans with DB Killers, PowerCommander FC.
50 Posts
Thank you Slovcan. I've just ordered a used Madstad bracket and Givi screen off an 06 DL1000 and will attempt to make it fit. I could do with seeing the mounting holes on the Mk2 Gen 1 Strom so I can figure out how best to mount the brackets. If anyone could post a photo or two, I'd be really grateful.
I'm sure it can't be that difficult!
(Famous last words...)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Thank you Slovcan. I've just ordered a used Madstad bracket and Givi screen off an 06 DL1000 and will attempt to make it fit. I could do with seeing the mounting holes on the Mk2 Gen 1 Strom so I can figure out how best to mount the brackets. If anyone could post a photo or two, I'd be really grateful.
I'm sure it can't be that difficult!
(Famous last words...)
Ohhh Steve... The 2004+ setup is nothing like the 2002-2003. The early one includes a heavy steel triangular plate that fits into the fairing as the stock windshield did. It mounts into place using the stock windshield mounting holes. The Madstad adjustable mounting brackets mount onto that plate. As far as I know the 2004+ does not need or use any such plate. It is a fairly simple plate and may be easy to have made. It is heavy steel - no flex at all - I'd say at least 1/16-3/32" thick. It also has a "lip" that turns down over the instrument panel by about an inch. That contributes to its stiffness. I have often thought this lip would be an ideal place to drill and mount a RAM ball for a GPS to be mounted on. Here is a picture from their website.

Here's what the plate looks like:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you've the the detailed reply. I'm quite confident I'll be able to make it work. I guess we'll see soon enough!

141 - 160 of 160 Posts